Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spincrazy25_gw

More Trash Talk.....best use of 24'

spincrazy25
14 years ago

I have 24" of space in which I want to put in a trash pullout. Cabinet guy says for a double the sizes are 18" or 21". Then there are singles which I guess are 12" and 15". So my options are using an 18" pullout with 6" left over for something, or do a 12" single, with an additional 12" of cabinet. As a side note I will have another 6-9" spot around the corner for something.

We recycle quite a bit, so I thought it would be nice to incorporate that into the area, but there is also space to put our recycle bin in the closet around the corner.

Questions:

-Is a can in a single pullout the same size as each can in a double, or is it larger?

-Is it dumb to have two tiny (6-9") cabs in the kitchen?

-Can I do anything practical with a 12" base cabinet?

-Would it be a good idea to do one 12" pullout for trash and one 12" pullout for recycling?

Comments (23)

• Buehl
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about a recycle center? One bin for trash & 2 for recyclables (or vice versa) or all 3 bins for recyclables. They're only 18qts each, though.

Rev-A-Shelf Recycle Centers: http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/ProductSeries.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Chrome%20Accessories&Category=Pull-Out%20Waste%20Containers&Series=5349-9WM%20Series

24" Tri-Color Recycle Center: http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/Products.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Chrome%20Accessories&Category=Pull-Out%20Waste%20Containers&Series=5349-9WM%20Series&Partno=5349-9WM-C

24" White Recycle Center: http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/Products.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Chrome%20Accessories&Category=Pull-Out%20Waste%20Containers&Series=5349-9WM%20Series&Partno=5349-9WM-W

They also have a "Quad 27 Quart Pull-Out Waste Container for 24" opening" (27" cabinet):
    http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/Products.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Wood%20Accessories&Category=Pull-Out%20Waste%20Containers&Series=4WCTM%20Series&Partno=4WCTM-27-4

For 6" or 9" cabinets, consider Filler Pullouts...you get the full width of the space w/o wall & face frame taking away space. Filler pullouts are attached to the walls of the cabinets on either side of them. The have them for both base & upper cabs.

The base filler pullouts come in 3", 6", and 9" and come in a variety of setups...shelves, pegboard, or a combination of both.

The upper cabinet filler pullouts come in 3" & 6" and 30", 36", and 42" heights. They come with either shelves or pegboard.

Note: If you get shelves, be sure they're adjustable.

Rev-A-Shelf Base filler pullouts: http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/ProductClassification.aspx?class=Sink%20&family=Wood%20Accessories&category=Filler%20Pull-Outs%20-%20Base

Upper cabinet fuller pullouts: http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/ProductClassification.aspx?Class=Wall%20Accessories&Family=Wood%20Accessories&Category=Filler%20Pull-Outs%20-%20Wall

Note2: You can get them for much less at places like Ovisonline, Kitchensource, etc. At the Rev-A-Shelf site, though, you can see all your options...then go look for it cheaper elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Rev-A-Shelf Spice Racks for Fillers -- Have you seen these!!!!

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the links Buehl. Those look neat, but I wonder if those bins may be too little. We make alot of trash. We currently have a really big freestanding can, and usually don't take it out until it can't be crammed any more. I wonder if I would be better off with a single?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

The largest containers that I've found for a pullout are 50qts (12.5 gallons).

Single 50 Quart Pull-Out Waste Container for Full Height Cabinet with 12" opening (15" cabinet): http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/Products.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Wood%20Accessories&Category=Pull-Out%20Waste%20Containers&Series=4WCTM%20Series&Partno=4WCTM-1550DM-1

Double 50 Quart Pull-Out Waste Container for Full Height Cabinet with 18" opening (21" cabinet): http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/Common/Products.aspx?Class=Waste%20Containers&Family=Wood%20Accessories&Category=Pull-Out%20Waste%20Containers&Series=4WCTM%20Series&Partno=4WCTM-2150DM-2

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

18" for trash/recycle and a pull out for towels in the 6"? That is what I would do. :)

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

On Ikeafans, someone took the 24 inch high , 30 inch wide double doors and turned them horizontally to have two drawers each 15 inches high and 24 inches wide in a 24 inch wide, 30 inch high base cabinet. She then added some standard Ikea bins and that was perfect for newspaper and bottle recycling. If you need a large trash this might work if lined with a trash bag. I didn't save the picture but ir really struck me as clever.

• melinrk
    14 years ago

How about a trash compactor?
    I know most people don't see the need, but once you go compactor, you never go back.
    Especially if you produce a lot of garbage, it's great. Plus, you never have to touch your garbage, especiall when cooking and your hands are full or dirty. There is a foot pedal, you press it and it comes out, you hip check it back. Take out garbage every few days. No smell, better for the environment. I also only use regular bags, not special ones.
    It's 15", so you could then put it a 9" cabinet or recycling something.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I would do a search on this Forum and maybe Appliances for trash compactors. Based on what I've read here, many more people are taking out their compactors with a remodel than putting them in. Most people don't seem to like them. I've never had one so I can't give you first-hand experience...

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

here's a few that seem to be in widths you posted. I was glad to find them - look like a few might work for me also!

http://www.ovisonline.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=5WB1-0918-CR

http://www.ovisonline.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=4WDB-12

Here is a link that might be useful: slide out

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

If you can possibly get 12 + 12" on both sides of a corner, you can do a corner base cabinet.

If both small cabinets are beside a corner, remember that you lose about 1.5 to 3 inches on BOTH SIDES of a corner for required fillers so that the cabinet doors and handles on one side have enough room to clear the cabinet doors and handles on the other side. A larger filler may be required to clear an appliance door.

• J K
    8 years ago

There has not been a post on this thread for some time, but I'm wondering if there is a trash pullout with a larger bin for bulky recycling and a normal/smaller bin for garbage. I produce much more recycling than garbage. I've actually considered a compactor for recycling since recycling isn't usually paper and rinsed plastic, with a separate trash pullout for garbage. But I think it would be too confusing for guests and I would not want to place recyclable glass in a compactor so I'd still need a place for glass recycling. The containers in the three bin recycling centers are just too small. I don't think I could fit but one cereal box in the recycling section. Any advice out there?

• User
    8 years ago

Don't you break your boxes down and smash the cans flat? You're not working hard enough to make the trash fit the receptacle if you need such a large recycle bin. Or, you're not emptying it into the collection bin often enough. You don't leave it in the kitchen for the full week between pickups!

• J K
    8 years ago

Precisely the reason I'd consider a trash compactor. I'd spend more time flattening boxes than folding my laundry! I don't want to have to work that hard to fit my trash in a receptacle. I don't need an exceptionally large recycle bin, but larger than I need for garbage. I don't want to have to empty my recyclables every two days. And they don't smell since they are not very dirty.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

We recycle everything but we also try to buy things in minimal packaging like filling plastic bags from bulk bins, not buying stuff in boxes unless there's no other option. (Yeah, I know, plastic, yuck, but gotta make some choices. I take them back to the store and reuse them.) Would a switch in buying habits help?

Where do you keep your curbside bins? Ours are in the garage so it's quite easy to take out trash and recycling when they're full and dump them when we're leaving the house. We have two recycling bins in our laundry room, next to the kitchen, as I wouldn't want to lose the storage space in my kitchen for it all. We typically empty them into the curbside bin several times a week. Even trying to buy with less packaging, it sure piles up fast.

It takes maybe 10 seconds to flatten a box. I typically do it while walking from kitchen to recycling container. I'm walking there anyway so might as well use the time well.

HTH

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

We have trash/recycle pullout. The cans are not huge, and we recycle a lot - glass (beer bottles), cans, plastic, cardboard. I can easily fit a dozen cereal boxes, tissue boxes, or 12-pack Coke boxes in the bin, with plenty of room left for cans and bottles. When it's full, we take the whole can to the garage recycle bins, but I'll bet it sometimes takes two weeks to fill it, without even smashing cans.

• J K
    8 years ago

It is amazing how judgmental and accusatory some "Pro"fessionals can be!

I posted a question on this thread as I'm planning a renovation on a home we purchased that I have not yet lived in. My current city makes it prohibitively difficult to recycle as curbside recycling was repealed and even when one goes through the effort of taking the recycling to the refuse facility with limited hours, the bins are unreachable and I've heard that the recycling is taken to the trash dump after all and after bleach ruined the carpet in my vehicle, it isn't worth it here.

Like funkycamper, I limit as much of my my purchase of packaged items as much as possible, shopping the perimeter of the grocery store. Packaged items include cereal or cracker boxes, plastic milk and juice cartons, small plastic trays or cups, bread bags, applesauce cups to berry containers to plastic take-home containers when we eat out, to toilet paper rolls. Even purchasing perishables and limited processed food produces much recycling. With two teenagers with many friends in our home, we consume quite a bit of food--good, healthy, mostly homemade fresh food.

While under renovation, I have begun separating my recyclables in my current home and taking them to my new home. It has been eye-opening how a majority of my trash is recyclable. I can fill two lawn sized trash bags per week with recyclables. Since I won't have to walk downstairs, but only down the hall to the garage to empty my recycling, perhaps it won't be a big deal to empty my recycling every few days as it fills. It is just that most recyclables tend to be bulky, so folding them just to fit them in a too-small recycle bin could be avoided if there were larger cabinet options.

My kitchen designer originally drew my cabinets to have a 24" dishwasher to the right of my sink and a 24" bank of drawers to the left of my sink, but placed the 18" trash pullout to the right of dishwasher--completely out of reach. It made no sense to me, but I could see that her goal was to create a symmetrical look, despite the lack of function. If symmetry is so important to kitchen designers, one would think that by now, since most people want their trash under or next to the kitchen sink, there might be a good 24" solution by now to go opposite the dishwasher other than the smallish bins in the 3-part recycling center. I was hoping for some insight on this thread, not instructions on how to take out my trash, how to stomp on cans (which I'd never dream of doing on my new wood floors--though I seldom use canned goods anyway), or telling me that I'm not working hard enough to fold my recyclables. When I considered a compactor, I called Waste Management who said NOT to use one. And, by the way, not that it is anyone's business, but I have a bad elbow so certain motions including breaking down boxes and crushing things by hand can be painful. I can hardly lift a small omelet pan with my right arm.

I also live in a state where we have to consider returnables as well. There is a 10 cent deposit on every can or bottle. Those must be stored separately and returned at a grocery store where when you walk in, instead of the sweet smell of fresh bakery items, it smells of stale beer like a dump! I find it grotesque to purchase my food in the same place where I dispose of recyclables. So I really only want two compartments in my pullout for trash and recycling. I put returnables back in their original boxes, stored in my pantry, to transport back to the grocery store, and my paper goes in a large wicker bin that my children dump in a recycling dumpster at their schools.

My grandparents lived in the middle of a 60 acre orange grove--everything was recycled (literally as in re-used, including ziplock bags) or burned. We never needed plastic jugs for orange juice--we'd re-used milk containers and dump the orange peels over the fence across the road for the cattle to eat.

Thanks AnnKH and funkycamper for sharing your experiences in a constructive Houzzworthy way! :-)

• Buehl
    8 years ago

JK - please read the "Read Me" thread.

New to Kitchens? Read Me First!

• J K
    8 years ago
    Buehl, what is your point?
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think buehl means that if you post a diagram of your layout with dimensions, that it would be easier for us to come up with a solution.

• J K
    8 years ago

Thanks funkycamper. I read the article differently--as if to suggest that I should feel that some very pointed comments criticizing me for not squashing my cans (deeming them impossible to recycle because the bar code can't be read) and not folding my boxes, should be perceived as helpful and having no malicious intent. I certainly didn't feel that way when that "Pro" commented. I can take a suggestion and I very much appreciate any help anyone on this site offers. I've learned a lot and Houzz has helped me incredibly through our whole house renovation.

I agree with you that recycling builds up quickly--even when we try minimize our waste--even recyclable. My questions is nearly identical to the original post. I have space for a 24" trash cabinet, but the only trash pullout options seem to require only 18". I'm just wondering if anyone who was formerly interested in this post is aware of any newer products that may fit the bill for larger bins in a 24" cabinet.

Buehl's early post with links to Rev-a-Shelf Products is helpful, and I've researched those products, but I find that within a 24" cabinet, instead of two larger or a larger and smaller bin, the only option is 3-4 smaller bins.

We don't need to sort our recyclables in our township. So I really only need two slots-one for trash, one for recycling. (I keep the returnables upright so that they aren't sticky and gross when I recycle them to get the return deposit.) Even emptying regularly, our one recycling bin is not enough and Waste Management does not offer the large cans that can be rolled to the curb for recycling in our town. So, I'll need to carry two blue bins to the curb.

As it stands, I'm going to stick with a 21" trash pullout--minimal wasted space, and a 24" cabinet next to it for pots and pans. I would have reversed the widths if I could find a product to meet my needs.

Thank you for taking the time to understand and trying to help.

• amg765
    8 years ago

Ikea sells a 14 gallon bin. 2 will fit side by side or front to back in one of their 24" cabinets. It's big enough you could fit several extra large pizza boxes in there without folding ;) The black Variera bins aren't on their website for some reason but they have them in stores and in the new catalog

If you only need a small trash container you could put the trash pullout under the sink and have a separate larger pullout for the recycling.

My kitchen is small and the biggest trash pullout I could fit in a good location was 15." So the trash is by itself where it's most convenient for prepping and the recycling bin is a few steps away and shares a 24" pullout with the dog food. It may not a standard solution but it's working well for me so far.

• J K
    8 years ago

I just got the catalog in the mail. I'll take a look! Not sure if they will work in cabinets other than IKEA, but it is worth a look. Thanks!

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

An idea for plastic milk cartons. When rinsing use very hot water. Turn upside down completely to drain. The hot water will soften the plastic and the inverted draining will cause a vacuum and naturally crush (partially) the carton. Just finish crushing the carton then a quick rinse under cold water will "set" it in the crumpled shape.