Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maineadventure

Help with a sink base cabinet and apron sink

maineadventure
12 years ago

Hi there,

We purchased an American Woodmark 30" sink base for an apron front sink. It says that the minimum dimensions for a sink are 23 3/4" and the max are 27 15/16". We will have the garbage cabinet on one side of the sink and the dishwasher on the other side of the sink.

Here's the question: most of the apron front sinks come in a 231/2 inch size or a 30" size (or just a bit bigger than that almost 28" measurement)....so, other than Alfi that makes a 26" sink (with a 25" measurement) and Rohl (which makes24") and Ikea (which also makes a 25") - any other options? Oh, and I think that Kohler makes a 25" as well...

I'm a bit confused that a cabinet manufacturer would make an apron front sink base and then not have it fit any "standard" sink sizes. So I'm wondering if I'm totally missing something here?

The cost of the Kohler is prohibitive, the Rohl is on the spendy side and the design elements of the Alfi and the Ikea are less than desirable (don't want a lip, just a smooth straight sink). I'd love any thoughts, ideas or advice anyone might have.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

i feel safe with the 1/4" difference.
    23 3/4"
    23 1/2"

• maineadventure
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response Davidrol. I just got off the phone with American Woodmark and the interior dimensions of the cabinet are actually 281/2" So I could conceivably go larger. I just don't know if anyone actually makes a sink that size.

Do you happen to know if there is one?

• davidro1
    12 years ago

it is normal for there to be 28.5" inside a 30" cabinet.

I may not understand fully - since you haven't described fully - what supports are in place or expected, for your "apron" sink. Someone else might know all this in advance. Perhaps for the crowd you could explain more, and hope someone else will answer.

Perhaps you want the largest apron sink possible for this cabinet. Call back and ask them. They will have seen this before.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ask them to name names of sink makers.

The question will have come up a thousand times before.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

25" is a standard size for a sink, and it will fit into a standard 30" sink base. Fireclay sinks vary in individual size even though 25" is a standard sink, the actual size could be 25 1/4" or 24 7/8" etc.

• maineadventure
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies davidrol - I did actually call them and got confirmation on the interior cabinet dimensions and you were right: 28.5. I will call and ask for manufacturers next time (forgot and hadn't seen your post yet - my email notifications aren't working for some reason).

Just to clarify, as I was writing in my shorthand thinking style, so it is confusing. We got a deep sink base cabinet - it already has an opening 23 3/4" wide, 2" deep to accomodate an apron front sink. It is not a standard cabinet, but one made specifically for apron front sinks. It is a 30" sink base and the interior dimensions (from plywood to plywood) are 28.5 inches.

I want the maximum sized sink for the cabinet. We do not like the sinks that accomodate a faucet - we want the faucet in the counter behind the sink. We do not like the "angled" sink - where the top diameter is larger than the bottom - we prefer the "squared" off look. The 26" Alfi has a lip around the top and we don't like that either. Just a straight simple sink.

Hope that helps a bit. Also, here are the manufacturers I've researched and the results:

Barclay, Whitehaus, Belle Foret, Bella Lavello, Porcher - either too small or too large
    Franke - don't want the front of my sink branded
    Herbeau - OMG, would love one but can't afford it
    Kohler - a possibility, but for the price would rather have a Rohl
    Rohl - our top choice in the 24" now, but wanted something larger
    Ikea, Marvel - don't like the faucet in the sink
    Elkay - only does stainless and copper?
    Alfi - has the lip in the size we need

I hope this helps anyone else reading. If budget were no object, this obviously wouldn't be an issue, but I think $1k for sink is more than enough money to spend (the Joneses are of no consequence to me).

livewireoak - I haven't found any 25" apron front sinks in fireclay (did I forget that important part - fireclay? ugh - this project has my head spinning).

Thanks again!!

• bungalow38
    12 years ago

Hi there,
    I am literally in the exact same boat! I have Martha cabinets coming and bought the 30" sink base for an apron front sink. Really don't want to go as small as most of the options seem to be. Based on dimensions alone, the Franke is the closest but I can't stand the logo on the front!
    Also just found a 26" Whitehaus...may do that or the 25" Kohler.
    Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• maineadventure
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bungalow38! Do you have a model number on the Whitehaus? I was only able to find 26" with a decorative front, not plain white....so now, of course, you've got me scowering the web looking for it! ha! Good luck - I felt the same way about the Franke - you may want to call about that logo - I've seen it on some and not the others. I was at a design showroom yesterday, and while she wasn't overly familiar with the brand, she said it's possible that it's reversible.

Good luck to you too!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I have the all white Whitehaus 501 and love it, but alas, I believe it's been discontinued. Perhaps scour eBay and suppliers to see who still has one in stock?

• bungalow38
    12 years ago

Argh! Indeed, I can't seem to find it anywhere beyond the spec sheet. I may just go with the Franke....perhaps I will call and see if I can request one without the logo....? I saw the 30" Franke yesterday and it had a much more subtle logo inside the basin and was finished on 3 sides. And it was gorgeous!!

• bungalow38
    12 years ago

Argh! Indeed, I can't seem to find it anywhere beyond the spec sheet. I may just go with the Franke....perhaps I will call and see if I can request one without the logo....? I saw the 30" Franke yesterday and it had a much more subtle logo inside the basin and was finished on 3 sides. And it was gorgeous!!

• bungalow38
    12 years ago

Problem solved! (For me anyway....might work for you too though.) I called Franke and they confirmed with their warehouse that the sinks are branded with their logo on the INSIDE of the bowl, on the right hand side of the sink. The photos that show the logo on the apron front are old and they have not been making them that way for a while. If you get it from homeclick.com, there is a 10% off Franke coupon through 7/18: FRANKE10 that makes it $810. That's the best deal I can find so I'm going to get it from them. Hope this works for you too!

• bossanova2
    12 years ago

I bought the 24" London Porcher stainless steel apron sink, and had a 24" base made for it. Here's a link from FaucetDirect (which is where I think I ordered from... so many boxes, can't remember what came from where anymore!).

http://www.faucetdirect.com/porcher-35120-london-24-farmhouse-single-basin-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink-with-offset-drain/p1352763

• bossanova2
    12 years ago

Sorry - just read the fireclay comment - it does come in fireclay as well!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Hi BossaNova
    Does the 24" Porcher fit in a 24" wide base??
    I thought you needed to go bigger in the base than the sink? A 24" base would be perfect for me, but I really ONLY 24" for the base. Good news for me if it works!

• bossanova2
    12 years ago

Hi Lisa - our cabinets are custom, and the base is exactly 24". This isn't the most flattering picture, as we are mid-installation, but it gives you an idea. We have a garburator on the right side and a pull-out for cleaning products that will be installed on the left.

Good luck!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Thanks!
    I'll run it by our contractor.
    Hopefully it'll work.

• Candy Bigwood
    9 years ago

What sink did you end up going with? I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno and have a 30" base cabinet and am looking for the largest farmhouse sink I can put in. I saw the Kohler and Rohl but the Kohler is shallow so not the ideal and the Rohl is too rounded. I'm also looking for something on the sleeker side so as flat as possible. Thx!

• sweetpc
    8 years ago

I'm having the same issue. Wish there was a 27" sink option to fit the 30" wide base cabinet. For the Rohl, the sink is 30" and the manufacturer recommends having a minimum of 1 1/2" on each side, so that would be a 33" inch base. But i've not been able to find a 33" wide base cabinet. I would love to see what a 24" sink looks like in a 30" base cabinet - does anyone have pics? Thx!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH