Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

Buehl
10 years ago

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful.
Note: This will probably be the final "Read Me" thread. The FAQs are almost done!

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)/Articles pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but you can also use the "Find-A-Kitchen" function to utilize several search options if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access "Find-A-Kitchen" via the via the menu bar at the top of any FKB page. Additionally, "Find-A-Kitchen" contains a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links on the menu bar at the top of any FKB page.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the kitchen remodel process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as layouts, planning for storage, and stone materials are discussed in later topics in this thread. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria:

***site:ths.gardenweb.com
In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.
When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offering this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page) [See the post later in this thread with the Subject: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process]

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a...

Comments (164)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Back to work tomorrow morning! Are your straw purses and white shoes put away for the season?
    Bump

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Enduring, you made me smile. I remember when that guideline was strictly adhered to here.

Bump

• enduring
    10 years ago

My boss had a pair of white flats on today, but they looked so cute with her navy with white polkadot sweater and navy slacks.

Bump

• enduring
    10 years ago

bump

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump.

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Fly-by bump! (God bless you, tea4all and enduring!)

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Angie_DIY, thanks for the fly-by. Happy to see you here. Thanks too for the blessings. Will take them any time , any day. ;-)

Starting the day with a Bump.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hello from me too Angie! and thanks for the blessings :)

Bump

This post was edited by enduring on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 18:51

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump to end the day.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Good morning bump.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Bump into a good night for all.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Saturday bumpa. My friend is planning a new build and is excited to focus on her new kitchen. Just linked her to the forum so bumping up for her and others. Have a great day!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hi there Breezy, are you going to have a backsplash in before your friend???

Bump for Breezy's friend.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump. Please go to pg 1.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bumperoo get off pg 2.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump to start the work week.

Less than 20 more bumps and this thread will be through.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Just checking in to see if this thread needed a bump.

Yup. Bump!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Tag, you're it Tea!

• tea4all
    10 years ago

;-) You are good, Enduring!

• enduring
    10 years ago

almost missed it on pg 2, heading towards 3.
    Bump

• willtv
    10 years ago

Bump...

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump.

Less than 10 bumps left on this thread. I hope Buehl is ready to get this into the sticky. It will be so helpful to always have it at the top of pg 1. Great info in it!

• enduring
    10 years ago

bump

• enduring
    10 years ago

bump and good night all.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump to keep it slipping onto pg 2.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Bump to go back to pg 1.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Woo ha almost hit 150 bumps!

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Gracious this thread moves fast. It's already back on pg 2. I'll bump again and then go to bed. Night everyone.

Bump.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

TGIFAfternoon to you all! Weekend is almost here. Yahoo!

This thread is almost done for now. What will happen then Buehl??

Bump back to pg 1 please.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Get ready for...

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Ding, ding, ding, ding! The magic 150 is upon us.

Now what Buehl??

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

bumping b/c the FAQs are not complete - things have been dropped from them. However, the other thing we've lost and that affects this thread as well is the Subject lines in the posts. On GW, we could change the Subject for our post - and I did that in the Read Me threads to describe a particular "topic".

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cannot edit any of the above posts, so I may need to start another Read Me thread so everyone will know what the URLs are for.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Buehl, are you really posting currently on this old thread? I can't figure out how to post photobucket pics onto my posts, using my macbook pro. Are you in the know?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Tamara- can you help make this a sticky?

Thanks

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No - don't make it a sticky! I sent text to Tamara shortly b/f the move with new text to use for a sticky. I will review it to see what needs to be changed now, but I will make sure it has links to the "new" FAQs with a description of what each FAQ is for.

To post pictures,

1. Select the "Photo" link below the message window (it has a camera icon).
    2. When it opens to the page to find select a picture from your computer, enter the URL from the Photobucket picture. Use the URL in the box labeled "Direct".
    3. Then select the Open button. If it takes longer than a couple of minutes for the picture to show up, cancel it and start over. I had to do that several times when I was testing.
  • Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Later tonight or tomorrow I will put this in the Posting Pictures FAQ along with pictures showing what you should see and where to get the URL - I don't have time right now, unfortunately! (I'm also working on patching the FAQs since they're all truncated - in many cases mid-sentence!!!!)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh - and if I start a new "Read Me", I'd like everyone to help bump it until the FAQs are fixed and we have a new sticky! Just like old times! :-)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

12:44 pm....huh??? Oh, Pacific time!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

"2. When it opens to the page to find select a picture from your computer, enter the URL from the Photobucket picture. Use the URL in the box labeled "Direct".

Except this does not work for those of us on Macs. We do not get the box labeled "Direct".

• enduring
    9 years ago

Yes, Like Dedeoboe says, Macs dont work this way. I have been on several blind trails over the last several days. I use "direct" and can post a link to the photobucket. but I can not place the file name copied from photobucket into a file box when using the "photo" button to open a file. On a mac I only have option to select a file from a list, not adding a file.

Yes, I will be happy to bump, like old times!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So...is it the "Direct" link in Photobucket that's missing? Did you check your settings? You get to pick and choose which link shows up - maybe you don't have it set for the "Direct" link? [This is what Dekeoboe seems to be saying.]

Or, is it Houzz's Photo functionality that doesn't allow you to enter the "Direct" URL? [This is what Enduring seems to be saying.]

Or, is it both???

• enduring
    9 years ago

I have "direct" link and that is the only photobucket option that will actually function with the "link" button below. I will turn green in the post, when used in the "link" below. Several days ago, I tried all of them, ie "email & IM", "Direct", "HTML" & "IMG". The "Direct" option was the only one that worked, and only if inserted into the link button below.

I will have to go to a post on another tread to verify, because I have tried so many things and options that I am getting lost.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Oh Buehl, I have just spent 10 minutes getting all examples into this post to illustrate how many ways I have tried to link into GW from photobucket....Then the thing jumped to the main kitchen page and all my text is gone. This happens a lot to me.

Other things that happen are that when I am adding a "link" into the "link" button below, it does not insert the link into the text where my cursor is set.

I will try again. When I use the pasting of the photobucket "share link" into the text, like I did before in old GW, they are just text and not hot linked (green). When I link them to the link button below, the link is hot.

In addition, when I copy the Photobucket "share link(s)" ("email&IM"; "Direct"; "HTML"; and "URL") into the "link" option below, it auto copies into the upper box of the "Link" option as well as the intended spot for the link in the bottom box. I have to "control"+A to highlight the text in the upper spot so I can delete it, and type in my title to my link.

There seems to be a lot going on that isn't working with my Mac OS and Houzz. And there are others. I will link the Bathroom forum thread that has been trying unsuccessfully to solve the image problem, no pun intended :)

["What Are Your Thoughts on this New Format"[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-are-your-thoughts-with-this-new-format-dsvw-vd~2830259)

• enduring
    9 years ago

Bump :)

• User
    9 years ago

Bumpity bump!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Bump

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone! I started a new "Read Me" thread with updated information, so please bump that thread instead of this one.

Thanks for keeping this one "alive" while I worked on a new one. It took some time as formatting is wonky right now and I ran into very strange errors and had to start over several times. But - it's ready! Bump away!!

:-D

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Thanks buehl! This is the 1st time I've been back to GW in a few weeks &....what the heck happened?!? I knew Houzz was buying GW, but I had no idea it was going to this format. I actually couldn't find GW at 1st from the link I used to go to, but I got here! So, thank you for getting info put back on here for everyone.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

No, don't bump! Bump the other Read Me thread!