Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtpam2

Fridge in corner or by doorway? Please help with layout.

mtpam2
12 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to finalize my layout so we can move ahead with our kitchen remodel and I really need some help. We tore out everything down to the studs (except our sink) last fall, and having been living with a makeshift kitchen since then. We are DIY to make it affordable so will be using RTA or stock cabinets. My husband is very handy, but loves mechanics, not construction, and I have never done anything myself, except a little painting.

I have 3 girls in their 20's, one of which is living with us for a few months. My husband and myself both cook, although not usually at the same time. We cook almost every meal, but only bake for holidays or special occasions since the kids are grown.

Below is our current proposed layout. We are re-wiring everything and have an electric stove, so it can be moved. We just replaced windows and re-sided our house a couple years ago, so my husband doesn't want to move any doors or windows. The stove wall is load bearing, with the bedroom behind it, so we are pretty well stuck with the current dimensions. At the lower right is the doorway to the Living Room. Bottom of the screen is pocket door to the only bathroom on the main floor. Also, the bottom left is a 40" walkway to our basement steps and the back door. We park in back and use that door all the time. Laundry, food storage and our daughter's bedroom is also in the basement, so that is a busy traffic path. We have a 36" SXS fridge. Currently have a 36" double sink where it is shown on the plans. Husband might be willing to move that if necessary. No dining room, so table in kitchen is our only eating area. Can you give me any suggestions for improving the layout, or better use of this space?

I also considered this layout, with the fridge in the top left corner. It gives me a better counter space around the stove, but after reading on this forum, I think I would have to move fridge further from the wall in order to open the doors (maybe 12-15"?), which means that I would only have about 12" or less between the fridge and sink unless I moved the sink further into the corner.

I have been struggling with this layout all winter. Any help or suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I think it's fine where it is in the 1st layout. If you want more space to the right of the stove maybe it could be moved a foot more toward the corner area? Seems like enough room to do that.

the fridge where it is makes it handier for anyone in the LR who wants something out of it... and probably dd in the basement - lol!

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Our layout is almost identical (swap sink and stove), and we put our fridge by our mudroom door as in layout #1. It has been working out fine in terms of location and work-triangle issues. The only minor concern I have is related to people whacking the stainless steel fridge as they schlep stuff in from the mudroom, but that hasn't happened as of yet. We also DIY'ed our whole project, so I feel your pain! We're still in progress, but hopefully we'll be done sometime in the near future!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

There are benefits to both of those. With the fridge on the end, you will be able to come in, put groceries on the table and unload into the pantry and fridge easily, snackers will be kept to the outer edge of the work zone and drinks, condiments and refills are handy to the table. The negative is having to cross the work zone to get to the sink to rinse and prep fruits and veggies. The corner location is easier to the sink, but means more crossing for everything else. Think about the traffic flow in your kitchen and your work habits. I probably prefer the end of those two options, but that may or may not be the best for you.

I'm going to throw a third option out there for consideration. If you have or can create a few inches to spare on that pantry wall, look at putting the fridge there next to the pantry. All your food storage will be together, snackers kept out of the work area and fridge to table, unloading groceries are all still easy. You open up a larger space beside the range, and to keep from trecking across to the sink, you could put a prep sink in the end of that run. Just throwing it out for you to think about.....

• mtpam2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your comments! So many decisions to make with no experience.

Desertstaph - Thanks for the suggestion to move the doorway closer to the corner. You're right, I would probably feel better about the extra space between stove & fridge instead of built-in shelves along the bottom right wall which I was considering. I am sure I can get DH to move the doorway down. Should be within our construction talents!

Jalsy6 - Glad to hear the layout is working for you. I hope you will finish soon. I have to make some decisions so we can get moving again. I am also a little concerned about the fridge along the edge of the doorway. I had thought about putting a 24" deep sheetrock wall next to the doorway, but it would eat up another 2 1/2 - 3 inches. If we move the doorway down so I have more room, do you think that would help?

Lascatx - We thought about putting the fridge on the bottom pantry wall. Unfortunately, due to the placement of the bathroom fixtures, we can't move that doorway, and the "hallway" to the basement steps is only about 2' deep before the stairs start, so I can't squeeze any more room that direction either. I tried to figure out a way to recess my Full Depth fridge on that wall, but due to plumbing, didn't have quite enough room. (Just got a new fridge a year ago, and it will have to stay for a while.) I was worried about the fridge opening into that major traffic path by the table. I would really like the extra space by the range though. Thanks for your ideas and comments.

Any one else have any suggestions? Thanks so much for looking at this.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

My fridge would need more clearance for the door to open than #1 offers. Unless you have a single door fridge that opens to the right (which would be very strange for day to day use,) I don't think it will open properly. I think your only choice is the 2nd layout, with the oven centered between the fridge and the adjacent countertop....

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County