Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinesmom_gw

STILL unsure about inset/fulloverlay- one more plea for advice

carolinesmom
14 years ago

Ok, I won't post about this again, but I really need some advice. Putting in cabs ourselves; DH is a whiz bang wonder who can do anything; ordering from Conestoga. Have a choice between full overlay or inset. Love the look of inset, and other than island have been able to tweak depths to minimize "lines" between cabinets. These are factory finished, so no one is going to be painting these onsite, making those lines disappear or look less distinct. Will these lines drive me crazy and not look anywhere as nice as custom inset? I'm sorry to beat this topic to death, but I need some of you to flat out tell me what you would do! :)

Comments (13)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I'm not sure how the lines on Conestoga will differ from custom inset. I know Conestoga is suppose to be quality... so would it be possible to post a pic of what you mean? It may just be my own ignorance and others may understand what difference you're referring to.

• junicb
    14 years ago

Have you asked the Conestoga rep about this? They have been pretty responsive to our questions.

(By the way - what finish are you getting? Did you order sample doors?)

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

If I could have either, I'd opt for the inset cabinetry, but, in my case it was not in the budget. I'm not quite sure what you mean by minimizing lines. Do you have a lot of small cabinets hooked together or something? Do you have a small space or large space that you are working with and what is your layout/configuration? It's hard for me to visualize what you are describing.

• alwaysfixin
    14 years ago

I don't know what you mean by the minimizing-lines-thing either. But in any case, I think inset is a beautiful look, but does have its downsides. For one, it will provide you less drawer and cabinet space. If your kitchen is large, this won't matter, but if you are at all constrained for space, the inset style will provide significantly less storage, particularly the drawers. Secondly, if your climate has large swings in temperature and humidity, inset has more of a tendency to either stick or show spaces, even the best-made ones. Some people think that is part of the charm of the inset look, so it's personal taste.

• carolinesmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to be vague; I see a lot of the inset cabinets here, esp those that are finished onsite and maybe its the painting technique but I rarely see "seams" where two separate cabinets join. It looks almost seamless. With full overlay, that won't be an issue because the doors are almost flush with those on either side. With inset (especially my island for example, which is made up of 5 difference cabinets pushed together) the lines (I think) will be distinct. Am I blowing this out of proportion? Basically I don't want these cabinets to look like the ready to assemble cabs they are, and I can't decide which will look better. I guess I would like to see some pics of inset cabs with a painted factory finish; not painted onsite. Junicb, right now it's crystal white or frosty white onsite. I'm not wild about their white/cream choices because they seem to have a lot of pink or yellow cast, but one of those will work.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I understand the lines you're talking about ... I have them. They don't bother me, I don't think they're noticeable.

• carolinesmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you erikanh! That really helps me visualize. You're look great!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

You will still see these lines with the full overlay, though only to the side of the door. Some of it is the skill of the installer though-clamp them tight then screw together. This picture is the only one I had that showed a seam.

I have full overlay and I must stress that if you have corners, you MUST add fillers, at least 1.5 inches on the sides to allow the drawers beside it to clear the hardware. Here is what happened in mine, unsure what I will do as yet.
    {{!gwi}}

Here in this picture above the right door is the filler of 3 inches next to the cabinet corner and door.
    {{!gwi}}

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

hi carolinesmom: I got it after you described it the second time. It sounds like it might bug you since it is noticeable to you.

I have all wood cabinets and with the expansion and contraction of the wood, I'm already seeing some lines and separation on certain pieces. Since I have lightly distressed cabinets with glazing, I accepted this would be the case up front.

Good luck!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Would you be doing an outside hinge or a hidden hinge on the inset door? The hidden hinges are pretty big and do take up space on the inside of the cabinets. Also make sure your upper cabinets are at least 13" deep as you lose an inch in depth with inset cabinets.

• nc_cowgirl
    14 years ago

Peytonroad....where did you get those cabinets? I love them! We're having a cabinet builder make ours. Boy, don't know where or who built them, but I love that finish! Can you tell me about color, etc. of your cabinets? Thanks so much.
    Dana

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Inset! I'm totally biased, but I think inset are much prettier and timeless, and they lend themselves to style changes more readily than overlays with routing patterns. If you do inset, I'd also recommend standard butt hinges -- so much more room inside, and I find the look much more appealing than all that metal showing when you open the door.

Mine aren't painted, but I think all inset cabs, even custom ones, have those "lines". Slightly grimy view of one of mine, lines between the doors and the lefthand end panel:

• carolinesmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to EVERYONE; great info -- thanks for the pics circuspeanut and peytonroad! I can't wait to be able to share that I've finally decided and cabs ordered. Won't that be a glorious day (until I forget a detail and have to call and make a change).

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County