Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawh707

Anyone have pix of 4 or 6 inch backsplashes to share?

kawh707
12 years ago

i know it's not in fashion-- but we are looking at doing a short backsplash all the way around our kitchen. (we are just using a plain corian-- nothing fancy)

i just don't see any pictures out there of a short backsplash. anyone have pictures to share? i am not sure whether to go 4 or 6 inches... thanks much!

kawh

Comments (13)

• sskit
    12 years ago

We are looking at doing this also with a full granite backsplash behind the range. I am leaning towards 6 but were quoted 4 and also would love to see some pictures.

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Well color me unfashionable! :) Here's ours, I honestly don't know if it's 4 or 6 inches (I really think 4?) We did it to protect the wood, but it hadn't occurred to me whether or not it had been done recently.

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i'm thinking it looks like 4 inch-- and it looks great!
    thanks for posting-- and hope to see more.
    kawh

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

here's a few:

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

hi kawh..

I throw in a picture of my "old" kitchen from 12 yrs ago. Plain Corian...nothing fancy...6 inch.

KA:)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I know they are not popular but sometimes it just works
    for a kitchen. Here are some pretty options of the
    short bs.
    ~boxerpups

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

HHmmm, what I noticed, in most of those pictures, was that the BS was the same material as the counters...

Almost makes me wish we had gone with the granite BS. Too late now...

We're in BS quandry too, but in no hurry. Threads like this one are extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I'm glad to see these images, folks. On another thread I talked about using paint to unite sections of the kitchen and these photos reinforce that idea. I sometimes find a look-at-me tall backsplash to be a dividing, not uniting, feature in a design.

My only concern with a short backsplash is any "Penny Catcher" wide surface at the top of it. In my old little kitchen, the Formica was a 3-4 inch high piece with an inch-plus ledge at right angles for the top. If you walked the room you would find on the backsplash ledge a number of coins, paperclips, lost buttons, pretty stones, singleton batteries, &c. We propped greeting cards and postcards on it also, but as the kitchen shifted, we had a gap at wall and they began to slip behind the Formica. (We found them plus a couple uncashed checks at demolition day.)

As long as you avoid the Penny Catcher ledge--perhaps by rounding or planing off the top edge if there's width to the backsplash product--a short backsplash can solve a lot of design needs. And it's economical.

Thanks so much for this conversation. It reinforces my hope to get our short backsplash installed by end of summer.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi again kawh..

Those kitchens Boxer posted all look very nice...just goes to show you, it can be a good style..

However, I want to add that my 6 inch Corian backsplash was just another horizontal surface that collected dust...
    Florantha's post reminded me of that...That was a negative for me.

My new backsplash goes up to my cabinets, so no horizontal surface there to collect dust.

KA:)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here is one with 6 inches of bs. Cute!

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks so much, everyone.
    these pictures were super helpful!!
    i see now that i do like a 4 inch, rather than 6 inch backsplash for our kitchen.
    kawh

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I was also glad to see these shorter BSs. I especially like what Shelayne did with her tile....and the one boxerpups posted with the eggplant colored walls.

I know I am in the minority, but I am getting rather tired of the full BSs...and oh the stress they seem to cause!..they seem to take the eyes away from everything else. I like to see a bit of the wall color above and below the cabinets.

Thanks again, for posting this subject and I hope more will share their lower tile BS.