Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allwood123

granite crack or fissure

allwood123
9 years ago

I have a concern regarding my bianco antico granite island top. I understand that true fissures in granite can be expected as a consequence of this natural material and can present no difficulty for the function/performance of the granite. However, there is a 28 inch long disruption that completely traverses my island from the one straight long edge across to the arc on the other side. It starts about six inches in from one corner and ends about an inch in from the corner where the arc is. At each end of the disruption one can feel that it works its way all the way down the sides to the bottom of the stone. I can find nothing in combined appearance and physical attributes even similar to it on any of the rest of my countertops. Interestingly, though it is 28-inches-long in my island, it is not present in my other countertop that was continuous with this area about 9 inches away in the original slab as seen in my slab cut plan. I believe this break is a crack and not a fissure since it mostly doesn�t pass between, or interface, varying compositions within the stone, but instead cuts indiscriminately through the compositions as it travels its route. Where it does pass between compositions I think it does so because these are points of less resistance. I can see in many other locations that I do have fissures in my stone, but they are smooth on the surface. Also, the break that I am concerned about results in two reflecting planes in the surrounding polished surfaces on either side of the break. There are some raised, flaky looking areas and some pits along its way. A fingernail catches on the break on many spots as it is crossed. Another reference point to characterize this problem is that the difference in height between the surfaces of the break is even greater than that of my one installation seam on another counter. The interference within the surface polishing leads me to believe this disruption occurred after the surface was polished. I am really concerned that this could always be an anxiety for me because of the possibility of liquids soaking in possibly leading to staining or, even worse, having the potential for the edge to crumble and eventually break off altogether. Besides all the mechanical/functional concerns, I am extremely disappointed with the appearance of the features described above and I believe the installer should have reasonably considered avoiding this area because it would probably develop into a questionable area. Instead of appreciating the overall beauty of the whole job and my new kitchen, which I have worked a year and spent a lot of money on, I can�t help but focus on this crack because it is showcased in the center of the kitchen.

Info I found on difference between a crack and a fissure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyU_WboV5I

I believe my island granite meets all the criteria from the June 2007 edition of Stone Business magazine as referenced in the Paramount Granite Blog :

http://www.paramountgranite.com/blog/2007/06/26/the-great-debate�fissure-or-crack/

I am at a point where I just want to know what I am dealing with and what options there are.
I am including the following link to pictures of my island:

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/allwood123/library/?sort=3&page=1

Note that the different reflective planes can be seen by toggling back and forth between some pairs of the pictures in the sequence. The horizontal lines coming in from the light outside are the image of the straight lines of the vinyl siding on the house next door. They help to show that the light reflects on two different planes as the granite surface disruption distorts the reflection of the lines. Sorry for so many pictures, but I am including so many pictures to give as complete an overall picture as I can.
Please let me know what you think can be done. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am extremely grateful for the opinions you provide.

Comments (11)

• carsonheim
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

here's a photo for folks to see

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

This looks like a filled repair to me. Does the lighter blue in the blotch have the same gloss as the surrounding material?

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Definitely no stone expert here, but that TOTALLY looks like a big ol' crack.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

A naturally occurring fissure or "no fault crack" would typically be where two swirls of stone meet ... at a natural discontinuity in the material. It's a weak spot for those gaudy dramatic stones.

This looks like it's cutting pretty straight across, like a post-manufacturing stress crack. Those can take a while to show up.

Were the cabinets checked for level? And well-braced? Has the floor sagged? Have the cabinets warped?

• allwood123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks all for your responses.
    To answer Lazygardens, the island is perfectly level and extremely well braced and solid. The floor is not moving. It has porcelain tile beneath it all which is rock solid...no cracks. I noticed this "fissure" as the installation manager calls it the day after the install. I can post a more detailed, painfully long letter I intend to send to the installation manager's boss of how they assessed the situation.

again, Thanks much

• allwood123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks all for your responses.
    To answer Lazygardens, the island is perfectly level and extremely well braced and solid. The floor is not moving. It has porcelain tile beneath it all which is rock solid...no cracks. I noticed this "fissure" as the installation manager calls it the day after the install. I can post a more detailed, painfully long letter I intend to send to the installation manager's boss of how they assessed the situation.

again, Thanks much

• allwood123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To answer trebruchet, the gloss is the same in the "blotch" as all around it. Nothing looks filled at all. To answer another question of Lazygardens, as I wrote in my description, this disruption cuts mostly indiscriminately through homogenous compositions as it runs it's course and occasionally goes between some areas where different compositions meet. I think in the latter case, as stated above, I think it does this because there might be points of less resistance in those areas

• allwood123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To answer trebruchet, the gloss is the same in the "blotch" as all around it. Nothing looks filled at all. To answer another question of Lazygardens, as I wrote in my description, this disruption cuts mostly indiscriminately through homogenous compositions as it runs it's course and occasionally goes between some areas where different compositions meet. I think in the latter case, as stated above, I think it does this because there might be points of less resistance in those areas

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

My mom's typhoon bordeaux has a line in it that looks like a crack or fissure. I was sick when I saw it and wondered the same as you if it was a crack or just a fissure. I was able to see the underneath side of the granite by taking a drawer out to see if there was the same line on the underside which would pretty much insure it was a crack. Is there any way you can view your granite from the other side?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator.

If the fissure or crack proceeds down the edge of the material and it can be snagged by a fingernail then I'd call it a crack. At a minimum I'd expect a warranty from the fabricator against it becoming worse over time. A skilled fabricator or stone repair person could probably make it much less prominent.

Iif it's an overhang it should be rodded which you could see by inspecting the underside of the exposed area.

Unless he had no other option a good fabricator would've avoided such a prominent negative feature. In my shop at a minimum we would have shown the customer that feature before sawing the slab.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    9 years ago

That stone may be a tad more fragile than others.
    That is a crack possibly along a weakness in the stone.
    It needs to and can be repaired using the proper adhesives and techniques.
    I agree with old ryder.
    Is this the way your stone was delivered?
    It could have happened during installation.
    If you cant get the fabricator back or they aren't qualified to repair this you may need to hire a stone refinisher experienced with this type of repair.
    This is not an easy repair.The material is resined and the damaged area will need to be leveled and re-polished blending in and matching the original finish.