Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azbookworm

Decorative Tile - Daughter made

azbookworm
11 years ago

My daughter made a me some a 3X3 tile mosaic picture. I want to put it over my range as a back splash. BUT - I want to make it portable so I can move it when we leave this house for another. We seem to move often enough that I don't want to permanently attach it to the drywall.

I am thinking of mounting the tiles onto a square of cement board, put some black tile as a border, then use a metal frame to finish off the piece.

Not sure if mastic or adhesive will work. Do I need to use cement board or would something else be better? I am just wondering about cooking heat etc.

Suggestions??

Comments (24)

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

No practical advice from me at all, sorry. I just have to say that your daughter's tile mural is spectacular!! What a show-stopping piece for your kitchen!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

No advice from me either, just WOW! I'd take that with me too.

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Do you want to mount them permanently to the cement board? If so, how would you attach it to the wall? I guess you could cut the board larger to have a border, which you could screw to the wall, then cover with a frame. I'd call the company that makes the thinset or mortar and ask them if it's suitable for behind the stove. I call technical support departments of companies often, they know best.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. That is beautiful! What a talented daughter!! Sorry, I'm no help either.

• melissastar
    11 years ago

Um, maybe I'm missing something here, but I believe that most kitchen backsplashes, including what's behind the range are installed with mastic. So not sure why it would be any different for a framed separate piece. I think you only need thinset when it's a wet environment (shower, etc.)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

The link below gives step by step instructions for mounting and framing a tile mural/ mosaic. In this instructional they use 1x1 tiles to frame the piece. This might be an option for you. Also as far as hanging the completed project perhaps one type of the 3M command strip picture hangers would work and not leave any damage on the wall. The 3M website gives good info about the different options. I have used them for different things and they work quite well. Just be sure to check the weight limits..

Here is a link that might be useful: Mounting and hanging tile mural

• bahacca
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous!!!!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I love this piece! Just for fun, turn your head or your monitor so the side on the right becomes the bottom. How's that for over your stove?

• dseng
    11 years ago

Most mastics are fairly heat resistant. It should be fine to use to adhere the tiles to a piece of cement board. Thinset would work equally as well. Cement board is your best option as a backer.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

WOW! Gorgeous tile: Is it glass or ceramic?

Suzannes1, I like that idea!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Cool! Or should I say--HOT!!! :-)

• azbookworm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes. The uploaded picture is supposed to look like an exploding volcano!

HOT HOT HOT!! Right over the stove. My sense of humor! Or foretells my cooking style?!?!

Thanks for the input. I will look at the instructions. Probably all I need.

• bahacca
    11 years ago

I'm picturing it with absolute black countertops and small diamond or square accents about the rest of the backsplash of red, yellow and orange.

• lightlystarched
    11 years ago

Can I ask how custom tiles like that are made? Did your daughter paint and then fire them, or is it just paint on tile?

• slonewby
    11 years ago

LOVE it placed as an erupting volcano! So clever and fun! I think I'd ask a tile guy how to best mount it. I'm thinking you'd set it on hardiebacker and screw the hardiebacker to the wall.

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

I was looking on Houzz and saw something called Kitchen Palette mentioned in an article about new trends. Perhaps they could customize their system for you. Awesome job by your daughter!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Palette

• azbookworm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finished project.

Thanks for all your help!

• andreak100
    11 years ago

akbookworm - nice to see the finished project. How did you decide to go about putting it up?

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

They are Gorgeous!!!

I used silicone to attach glass to a mirror for the back splash behind our stove. I also use it to attach tile. Been there a year or so. No problems with heat. The mirror was 1/4 thick glass added 1/8 inch thick. There already was a wire hanger on the back. Because of the weight I used two heavy duty hooks.

Another good way is to use cement backer board and there are special hangers for it. Just be sure you install them BEFORE gluing down the tiles. You can either use wire holders then or the long cleat that attaches to board and another attaches to wall and they slide into each other.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I love it!

• azbookworm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I decided to use 3/8" plywood. I made the frame with birch wood. Attached the frame to the plywood to help support the weight of the whole project. I used adhesive to mount the tile to the wood. Polyacrylic grout. Painted the wood frame dark metal ( Martha Stewart's wood paint/putty ).

We put a hanger wire on the back from wood frame edge to the other side. Again, because this is a heavy project we wanted to be sure the wire would hold it.

All I have to do now is remember to get my daughter to sign the back.

Thanks for all your help!!

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Beautiful mosaic tile. Looks like painted ceramic tile, then kiln fired. Is it?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Great job!!! I think all will enjoy the story behind your tiles!
    Hopefully, your stove will not turn into a volcano.

• MuleHouse
    11 years ago

That is so beautiful. Makes my heart go pitty-pat.