Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any door styles that are particularly unobtrusive?We have an oops

Posted by Kitten1313 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 22:00

We had had two different floor plans drawn up by our architect. One plan had a door from the garage into the kitchen, the other one didnt. We ultimately decided to get rid of the door, because it would be on the same wall as another door (from kitchen to mud room).

Well, looks like the contractors went with the drawing that had the door, and today cut a big old doorway out of that wall. :/

Of course they can fix it, but it's got me thinking that if there is a way to make it very unnoticeable, it *would* be convenient to have there. A pocket door maybe? A door hidden behind a bookcase?

Please share any ideas if you have.

(the door in question is on the wall to the left of the range [perpendicular])

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any door styles that are particularly unobtrusive?We have an

I'm not sure it's possible to do anything but a big ole well-sealed door between the garage and living space, due to rather strict code restrictions (don't want carbon monoxide getting into the house). So a pocket door is likely out.

I'm an idiot with plans and can't quite see where the oops door is? Where's the garage, on the other side of the MECH room?

o

Is it the door heading to the mudroom? Is there also a 6" step up? I assumed that the garage is to the bottom of the Plan, with a door leading into the mudroom, and then a right turn into the kitchen.

Besides pocket doors, in the right kitchen I am partial to barn doors (or overhead track doors). They can even be mounted to decorative art, mirror or glass -- either as a focal point or almost unobstrusive.

su-casa-designs'>Su Casa Designs

This post was edited by gooster on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 23:02

o

Yes! A lateral opening door! Link below, you should watch the video, it's the perfect hidden door. You do need to have an open space adjacent to the door, but it doesn't swing out into the room as far. They're on my list for the secret rooms/passages I want in the house we will eventually build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lateral door

o

Will it be an accident waiting to happen, as others in the house come barreling through that door just as you are getting something out of the oven or moving a large pasta pot from stove to sink?

o

If its the doorway to the mudroom, do you need a door at all? Or will a cased opening do? It's not, obtrusive with the rest of the space....

o

if the door goes to a garage, you might want to doubel check with your architect about this. i think you have to make sure it is well-sealed. i think in our house plan, a fire-rated door was required from garage entering our house. i think it also required weather stripping as well since it is possible that you get some outside exposure since garages tend not to be insulated and air-tight.

o

Here are a few solutions that might be adapted. For a kitchen, there could be a "bulletin board" door. But it could be made to look like a panel vs framed if that works in the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doors in Disguise

o

thanks for the great ideas. The door is going to the mudroom, not the garage (see Gooster's description for the layout).

The other door, at the other end of the mud room, will be a cases opening. I don't think I want two cased openings. I love the chalkboard idea - we were going to use that wall for that kind of thing anyway. Thank you!

o

Realize if you want a pocket door that you need to change the framing in that area.

o

oh if it is going to mudroom, how about a bookcase door? the extra storage will be great for the kitchen. my sister did that to her under-the-stairs door and even included a small hidden sliding compartment at the bottom for her cat to go under the stairs (she keeps a cat bed in there). it looked really nice and was so neat! though it may be a little unwieldy to open on a regular basis. i would only do it if you don't need to go in there all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here