Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No place for the garbage

Posted by SnailLover (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 21:57

I just bought a house that's about 25 years old. There doesn't seem to be any logical place in the kitchen for the garbage can. For obvious reasons, I don't want to put it in a cupboard next to the pantry or dishes. Right now I have it sitting against the wall by the kitchen table. It's the first thing you see when you walk in, so obviously not very appealing there either. Any ideas how to conceal it without doing a major kitchen remodel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No place for the garbage

Under kitchen sink?

o

yes-under the sink: Go to "stacks and stacks" or "container store" online and look at under the sink trash slide outs or they type that rotate out when the cabinet door opens....you may have to organize all the "supplies" you keep under the sink more efficiently with a roll out.....but if that can occur you may be able to install a trash slideout or similar.

o

I thought about that, but there's not a lot of height with the disposal and pipes. I suppose I could keep a short basket under there and use the tall one somewhere else. It's one of those tall stainless steel ones with the step-on lids. It was a gift and not cheap, so I'm trying my best to find a place for it.

o

herbflavor, I will check out those websites. Looks like they have some neat gadgets and I might get some ideas. Thank you both.

o

i got a simple human trash pullout from amazon and its fantastic! i hated having a trash can in the kitchen and the old trash pullout i had years ago was terrible. this one works wonderfully and fits nicely under the sink which is a 33" sink cabinet so not tons of space.if you look for dimensions and measure your space you should be able to find somethong to fit.

o

What about a nice looking stand alone? I have a SS simple human stand alone can. I sits on the side of an island that is not easily seen but to me the can looks good anyway.

o

We have a door mounted plastic covered wire holder that fits regular grocery bags , installed on the sink cabinet door. I had to bend the upper rim a bit to make it go above the gd. The plastic bag top hits the disposal when the door is closed , but does not affect function. The trash is small enough that I change it every day or whenever I throw raw meat/other smelly stuff in it. I took off the top cover because it is really a pain to have to lift every time I used the trash.

Here is a link that might be useful: rack sack holder

o

When we redid our kitchen, I didn't have space left for a pullout trash next to the main sink (I did put on on the other side of the island), so we kept it under the sink. You can have the pipes and connections worked so they take up minimal space, but plumbers don't usually do that because it's easier and faster to have them forward and across. You could hire a plumber to come and replumb the drain lines or possibly even DIY if the pipes are PVC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here