Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_mjt

Please help! 2nd attempt at layout!

mrs-mjt
15 years ago

My kitchen is 18 1/2 X 10 ½" and opens to a Great Room. Kitchen window is fixed so canÂt be moved. Budget has been pushed to the limit and the time crunch is on so canÂt do anything too drastic. Please share which layout you like best and why as well as any potential problems you anticipate? IÂve included what I see as pros & cons of each layout and am open to suggestions. Wish I could go back to the drawing board and start over, but I canÂt so need to make minor tweaks and decide which option I can live with.

{{!gwi}}

Plan #1: Pros: triangle between frig, sink & cooktop is more efficient. Cons: cooktop will require a downdraft which is more $$ and not as efficient. I donÂt do much high heat cooking or frying (except bacon). Downdraft will use up more cabinet space below cooktop.

{{!gwi}}

Plan #3: Door swing will be opposite of what is shown. Pros: cooktop can have a direct vent hood. Cons: distance between frig and cooktop is 14Â. IÂm really struggling with the "inefficiency" of all those extra steps but donÂt know how to fix it.

In plan #3, would you put microwave on upper shelf between frig & pantry or in island near frig side? I use MW to defrost and reheat leftovers, not for baking.

Thanks so much!

Comments (29)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Layout #3 and I'd add (if you can) under the counter frig drawers either in the base cab between the cooktop and ovens or I guess you could possibly put one in the island. That way you can keep the things you typically need to grab from the frig while cooking handy.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Is this too much?

Or, how about this?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Switch fridge and ovens in the one labeled #3?

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I like plan #3 w/ the addition of a prep sink in the island. Work flow would be frig to island for prep to either ovens or cooktop. I don't like switching the frig for the ovens because that makes putting away groceries more difficult i.e. you can't just drop all your bags on the end of the island and put them away by just pivoting between frig and pantry. Moving the cooktop to the window wall might help too like in Buehl's drawings.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

I like plan 3 and adding a prep sink in the island. But, I'm not an expert! I really don't like a cooktop in an island. I really like the main sink centered under a window. JMHO!
    Barb

• lightenup
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest something that was basically the same as buehl's second layout.

I think I would switch the fridge and ovens. I don't think it would make unloading groceries that much more difficult. We always try to pack the cold stuff together anyway.

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! Right after I posted, I went outside and laid out pieces of wood to get a feel for the distances between appliances and it was very helpful. The distances don't seem as problematic as I thought they were so I feel encouraged. Sounds like the majority votes for plan #3 which is good to know!

rhome410 & lightenup, As far as switching the ovens and the frig, I had already drawn up that idea in my 1st attempt. I like the proximity it gives between frig and cooktop but it only leaves a 12-14" countertop between the two which makes for a tight workspace around the cooktop and a tiny cabinet below. Also I'd be pulling items for prep from frig and the pantry which would then be located across the room so that would decrease efficienty, IMHO so I nixed it.

I like buehl's first layout of the cooktop on the sink wall but I'll have to give some thought as to whether or not I want the sink on the island. I was planning to use the island for prep and dish storage for easy access to the dining room table located on the other side of the island.

remodelfla, probably not in the buget, at this time, to put frig drawer in island, but perhaps it can be done later if I find the distance between the frig and cooktop to be too troublesome. Thanks!

laxsupermom & bbtondo, Thanks for the idea of prep sink in island. I'll give that some thought! My sink in my current home is 7' from my prep area and in the new layout the sink is only 4' away (closer if I move island towards the sink) so that seems like a big improvement. I know it would increase efficiency to have a prep sink on island but don't think it'd be too problematic to just turn around and use the main sink based on the type of cooking I do.

bbtondo, I also like the sink centered under the window instead off to the side.

So if I stick with plan #3, would you put Microwave on shelf between frig and pantry or on island near frig side?

Thanks so much! You are all fantastic!

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

I think MW placement depends on who will be using it and for what. I would never have a MW in an island, because my son(who we lovingly refer to as destructoboy) has in the past exploded things in the MW. Also an incident with silverware. My MW needs to be up high, but that's just my situation. Most people have children not set on blowing up their homes. Lots of GWers love their MW drawers. HTH.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I like layout #3, and I don't think you necessarily need a prep sink in the island. You have a nice stretch of countertop between your sink and cooktop as it is, and I imagine that is where you will find yourself prepping anyway--at least things that need washing. In that layout, I see the island being used for some prep, but mostly for organizing ingredients and utensils, baking prep, serving, etc. For big prep jobs (e.g., peeling a big pile of potatoes), you'd probably use the island after washing at the sink, but for smaller, more day-to-day prep, the perimeter counter seems more natural. There's nothing wrong with that setup at all, so if it feels good to you and your budget, go for it!

I would put the MW in the island.

• lightenup
    15 years ago

mrs-mjt -

Yeah, it looks like it would be a tight fit if you left the range there. That's why I was thinking it could move to the sink wall, like in buehl's second diagram. But, that might either feel too crampled with the sink or necessitate the sink shifting of center from the window.

I'm curious about your placement of the dishwasher. I think people usually put it to the right of the sink. This makes it easier for right handed people. Are you left handed, or were you concerned with the dishwasher door interfering with the pantry door?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I had 12" between the fridge and range in our last house and actually found it very convenient to be able to grab something from the fridge (a splash of milk for a sauce, a bottle of sauce for a stir-fry, etc.) while cooking without having to miss a beat or leave anything unattended/out of my sight. It wasn't the perfect spacing, but it was very workable with the island right across from the fridge and good prep space (the same as you have) to the right of the range. I wouldn't like walking the full length of the kitchen and around the island (and potentially an open dishwasher and any other people in the kitchen) to access the fridge in the midst of cooking dinner, but that's me.

I would also prefer the micro up, between fridge and pantry, than having it in the island, unless you're going with a drawer micro.

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

laxsupermom, I had to smile when I read about your precious destructoboy!

Holligator, Thanks for your input! Now that my layout is cofirmed, I need to work on setup. So if anyone wants to comment on how you'd set up your kitchen if you had Plan # 3, I'm all ears!

Initially, I had planned to have the Baking Center in the island with an appliance lift for my Kitchen Aid mixer, but not sure that I want to give up a cabinet for it so the other option is to put KA in the corner above the lazy susan so baking center would be in that area near the cooktop. I may have an appliance garage recessed into the wall between cooktop & wall or Kitchen Aid could sit in the corner.

In drawers under cooktop and cabs to the L, will be spices, pots & pans, cooking utensils, oven mitts, oils, etc.

Island would contain dishes & silveware (DR table is nearby), supplies and containers to plate the food & clean up leftovers, perhaps a trash pullout near cooktop?? Or is under sink trash close enough? Perhaps MW with needed supplies underneath. May put knives & cutting board, cusinart food processor in drawer near cooktop side OR will place to L of DW near baking/prep center.

On counter between frig and pantry, I'd put toaster & Vitamix (for smoothies). If MW is above, I'd put microwave stuff below and make sure I have room for water glasses near frig. If MW is in island, I'll use drawers below for table linens and serving bowls so they are close to DR & island.

In cabinets between sink & pantry, I'd put dish cloths & towels, perhaps more table linens in drawers (I don't have a hutch yet). Upper cabinets would contain more dishes, coffee mugs, tea cups, etc..

I'd love any input! You are the best!

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lightenup & rhome, looks like we were posting at the same time! As for DW, I am right-handed and did struggle with DW placement. The reason I put it on the L of sink was for some balance as pantry side seemed heavy to me. If on R of sink, it would leave approx 15" of space to pantry wall which doesn't seem like enough room to stand to put dishes in cabinet above. My current kitchen has 21" between open DW & wall and I can stand and put dishes in cabinet above without having to set them on the countertop first.

rhome, Oh, we think alike...you've nailed my concern about having the frig so far away....hmmm.... when I posted my first layout, those giving feedback nixed the frig near the cooktop because of the tightness of the space and the inefficiency of the small cabinet below + walking the distance across cooktop to double ovens with a carrying ahot pan of braised meat. I currently have a 12" counter between my frig and sink and I absolutely hate it so concerned I might feel the same way about tiny counter between frig and cooktop. The obvious pro is that it tightens the work triangle.

I can't seem to find the "perfect" layout so am trying to figure out what I can best live with. I so appreciate you helping me think through the pros and the cons!

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lightenup, as for buehl's 2nd layout, I like the cooktop on the sink wall, but not sure if I like moving the sink off the center of the window. It is so difficult for me to "see" things 2 dimensionally. IF I could go back the drawing board, I'd put the cooktop where the sink is and flank it with windows on each side, but too late for that idea as window is set.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I'll preface this by saying that while I'm not usually a big fan, what about the cooktop in the lower right hand corner. You already have a corner element going on(pantry) so maybe it would balance it out. Then you could swap the frig and ovens and have enough landing space to the right of the frig. Looks like you'd still have plenty of room between the cooktop and the sink.

I can't remember. Is there a specific reason you're doing a cooktop and oven. If you needed extra wall space, you could go for the range. I'm sure it's been discussed on previous threads.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Great idea Mahlgold! Something like this?

With this setup, you could have a Baking Center b/w the Pantry & Double Ovens...and put in a lower countertop if you like (for rolling/kneeding dough). Perhaps even put in a marble counter on that side. I don't know what the rest of your countertop material is, but if it's granite then I don't think you'd be adding much cost using marble for the one run.

I've linked SharB's corner range for you to see how it might look. (I hope the link works, if it doesn't, it's the pic on the first page, bottom left.)

Here is a link that might be useful: SharB's Corner Range

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Malhgold, I had considered a corner cooktop previously but one of my concerns was the loss of usable cabinet space as I'd have no upper and lower lazy susans, etc., but I do like how it balances the pantry and makes for a more efficient triangle. Very strong points!

My other concern is that with a 30" cooktop, (SharB's range looks huge), I wonder if I'd feel squeezed in the corner. My current cooktop is shoved against the corner of an L and I strongly dislike that 2 people can't stand in front of it. Would a corner cooktop be repeating that same concern?

Buehl, I LOVE how you can change my layout on the computer. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it and really appreciate your time. I like your idea of having a baking center between pantry & double ovens if I move cooktop to corner.

Please share thoughts on vent hood. I was hoping to buy an efficient, yet economical vent hood so was looking at a Zephyr under cabinet vent. How would that work with a corner cooktop. I just can't visualize it. Help!! Any other pictures/links to share?

The plumber is coming on Monday morning to do the water line for the frig so I've got 2 days to finalize my frig placement.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Bamaspice did that...cooktop in corner, cabinet above w/hood below it.

This setup gives you more upper cabinet space b/c it utilizes all the upper wall space.

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB: BamaSpice's Finished Kitchen

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the photo Buehl!! I really appreciate it!

O.K. everyone, please give me your honest feedback between plan #3 (pictured above) and buehl's layout with cooktop in corner.

In plan #3, I like how food storage is keep to one area as it'd be easy to move items from frig & pantry to island for prep, but in buehl's corner cooktop layout, I like how work triangle is more efficient with frig closer to cooktop and it also gives adequate landing/prep on either side of cooktop. The con is that I lose my lazy susan.

Oh, these decisions are so hard for me as there are definite pros and cons with each layout. If it helps any, we are a family of 3 (dh, myself & dd who 10 yo). Also should tell you that I really don't even like to cook so I don't spend hours and hours in the kitchen preparing fancy meals (except at holidays). I have to decide by Sunday on frig placement as plumber comes on Monday.

Thanks!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Have you gone through and actually inventoried everything that you have and tried to figure out where it would all go? Do you currently have a walk in pantry now? Are there items that you don't use very often that are currently stored in the kitchen that you might be able to move to an auxiliary closet or the basement? We are a family of 4 and my kitchen is 18 X 13 1/2, with island and "L" shape. No walk in pantry and pretty much no uppers being planned. I am feeling pretty comfortable about finding a space for everything, except glasses at the moment! You really look like you have alot of storage space. Is eliminating a lazy susan going to make it impossible to store all your stuff? Personally, I think we all have more stuff in our kitchens than we really need. Maybe this would be a good time for a purge!

I like the corner cooktop the best. I think it functions better and looks better too. I'm surprised you can even fit(or would want) 2 people in front of a 30" cooktop. For island seating, each person needs approximately 24" of space. Good luck making your decision. I haven't been able to in over a year!!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I love the corner cooktop and how it mirrors the pantry and the coffered ceiling. I also don't like corner wall cabinets so don't see losing that as a hardship. However, I agree that corner appliances eat up a lot of space. You could make a list of the cabinets from both layouts and compare and contrast to get an idea which storage options are best for you. Try to determine what will go into each and every drawer etc. Good luck and try not to get drawn into the black hole of kitchen design minutiae...I've been there for a year and am beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind. Does perimenopause make one indecisive?

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

malhgold, Thanks again for your excellent input. I'll answer your questions. Yes, I do have a big walk-in pantry in my current kitchen and yes, it houses many items that are not kitchen related because I have very inadequate storage in my home. BUT the good news is that in this remodel/addition, I'll have another storage area for non-kitchen items so the walk-in pantry in the new plan will contain only kitchen items. Yes, I already made a list of everything I want to include in the kitchen and plugged it into the old plan (#3)and I will work on plugging it into the corner cooktop plan today.

I did a quick calculation and looks like I'd be losing approx 69" (5.75') of cabinet space with corner cooktop but the good news is that it would save $$$ in cabinet costs which would be extremely helpful right now! :)

cheri127, I've already been drawn into the black hole of kitchen design minutiae (smile) and YES, I do believe perimenopause makes one indecisive (I'm there, too). We decided on this kitchen addition/remodel in May and the foundation was poured this week so I'm having to make decisions very, very quickly which goes against my analytical nature but could be a blessing in disguise if I don't make major mistakes along the way.

Thanks for helping me think it through! Any other input on pros and cons is welcome!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I definitely prefer the functionality of the corner cooktop plan.

I'm one who doesn't like corner storage and have none in my kitchen. I think the pantry would help so much in taking the overflow from any cabinet adjustments. I actually think you have more cabinet storage than I have in my kitchen, where we cook and bake extensively, preparing 3 meals a day for the 10 of us. :-) This will be a NICE kitchen.

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much rhome! I'm evaluating the storage options right now and it's looking good! :) I LOVE how the corner cooktop plan makes the frig so much more accessible -- 6 1/2 feet from cooktop versus 14-15'. The distance has bothered me from the start.

FYI, I won't be putting in a prep sink (not in our budget) as pictured in buehl's plan as I think I'll just slice and dice by the main sink.

Even though I don't love to cook, I think my daughter may really enjoy it so I'm excited to get into our new kitchen together since we were bumping into each other in the old one. Perhaps cooking will become my new love! :)

As a side note, I saw in another thread that you homeschool and wanted to mention that we homeschool, too! :)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I understand about budget! I added seating at the island, you're a few inches short of the 8' for 4 people plus you have the angled corner cuts, so I only put in 3 seats. In a pinch you might be able to squeeze a fourth in when needed.

The first option shows the MW next to the refrigerator.

The second option shows the MW in the island on the working side but on the refrigerator end. You might consider a MW drawer...they come in 24" & 30" sizes...but I think they have the same internal dimensions (1.0 cu ft & 1000 watts) so size would be more of a cabinet size preference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp KB-6024MS Microwave Drawer®

• alku05
    15 years ago

Wow, the corner range really makes this layout work! It's shaped up very nicely.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

The layout that buehl did with the corner stove is wonderful! I love how the corners mimic the shape of the ceiling and the placement of the ovens and frig perfectly balance and anchor the room. IMHO, I'd go for the MW up by the frig because it just seems as if it would be less $$ wiring it then in the island. You'll have an expanse of prep space, gathering eating space, functional layout with easy assess to water, frig, and plenty of storage with your island and walk in pantry. Congratulations on working your way toward a simply beautiful layout!

• mrs-mjt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so grateful for your help!!! I left a message with my GC that I want to move the cooktop to the corner and put the frig at the end of that same wall. I'm sooo excited about shortening the leg between my frig and cooktop from 15' to 6 1/2'. It seems like the new layout will be more efficient and will look better, too! FINALLY, all the pieces seem to be falling into place!

A special thanks malhgold for suggesting the idea and to buehl for kindly drawing it up and identifying my new Baking Center (between the pantry and double ovens).

You are all awesome!!!

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I like plan three - you move from fridge, to prepping at the sink, then down to the cooktop. I don't think that's all that inefficient. Sure beats carrying stuff back and forth across the floor btw the sink and stove which I really dislike ever having to do. Easier to wipe counter drips than do the floors. I really don't like any appliance on the island when its facing a great room.