Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nishka_gw

Things you wish you had done....

nishka
13 years ago

Now that all I have to do is wait for granite and backsplash, I have too much time to think about things I wish I had done and things maybe I should do while there is still time.

I wished I had done....

1. Conceal outlets under the cabinets with the lights

2. Buy a drawer fridge instead of a beverage cooler

3. Take upper cabinets all the way to the ceiling

Should I do ?

1. Pot filler, never mind my sink is literally two steps from the range and I think I would probably use it very little.

Nothing much I can do about 1,2,3 but any advice on the pot filler?

Comments (15)

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Unless you really do cook soup or pasta for 20, I don't think a pot filler is necessary. Especially if your sink is two steps from your range. Plus, if your cabinets are already in you don't want to be messing with trying to put plumbing in the wall behind your stove.

Your #1 and #3 are on my wish-I-had list as well. I don't have room for a beverage cooler or a drawer fridge, but I'm likely to regret not getting dishwasher drawers and a built-in microwave.

I'm only in my early 40s, though, so I'm putting these things in a file called "the next kitchen remodel."

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

1. I wish I had turned left at Albequerque.
    2. I wish I had bought FedEx stock at $20/share back in '78.
    3. I wish I had bought Microsoft at $25/share back in '85.
    4. I wish I had sold this house in '05.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I wish I had bought a Modernaire hood.

I wish I had taken down a wall,moved my laundry upstairs
    and had a giant island put in.

I wish I had spent a little more instead of being so cautious.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

I wish I had run my layout by gardenweb members for feedback.

I wish I had added 3" to my overhang on island at seating area to make it 15".

I wish I had added 3-6 more inches on length of island for a wider cabinet or even drawers for my dishtowels.

I wish I had put two drawers under my lowered baking center w/ a 12" cabinet to the left for KA mixer instead of a 3 drawers.

I wish I had sprung for the 2nd Miele oven because I rarely use my KA oven located at the baking center because I prefer the Miele located in cooking zone. (yes - there really is a noticeable difference)

and BIGGEST regret that I think about almost daily - I wish I had installed a paneled DW - I strongly dislike, maybe even hate, the SS DW on the island but not sure DH would agree to switch it out for a paneled one.

• gillylily
    13 years ago

to put a pantry in and get the granite I WANTED in the entire kitchen, not just on my island..

I guess mother is ALWAYS right.. BUt try telling DH that about his MIL....

• gillylily
    13 years ago

What got erased was, I wish I had listened to my mother... NOT to put a desk in to put a pantry in and get the granite I WANTED in the entire kitchen, not just on my island..

I guess mother is ALWAYS right.. BUt try telling DH that about his MIL....

• country_smile
    13 years ago

sorry nishka, I forgot to answer your question....

I would forget about adding a pot filler, especially since your sink is nearby.

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

I agree that since your sink is so close that the pot filler is not necessary.

Things I wish I had done:

Change the layout of the stove wall which would then eliminate my peninsula but allow me to put in an island in the kitchen. I would have gained extra storage with the island vs. my current peninsula.

Get new lower cabinets-all drawers.

DH said he would have opted for a double wall oven and a cooktop instead of the free standing stove we have now. I'd have to agree-he's the cook!!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I have read these wish I wouldaÂs before on an old post but you all are helping me decide I should splurge and get the countertops I want. I have had to make many sacrifices in my little kitchen already. I have seen some of your beautiful kitchens and if you have regrets with all the lovely things you have and have room for IÂm thinking I may be horribly disappointed after all this work if I do not love my surface.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

jterrilynn - good idea - if you can afford the splurge then I don't think you're going to regret it.

My dad had told me during my months of planning, that it doesn't matter how long it takes to plan the kitchen, there will always be something you wish you had done differently, something that you didn't think about during the planning stage. Since you know now that you want a specific countertop, it's something that you can do and avoid regretting about that detail.

• stefb
    13 years ago

Someone has probably posted this idea elsewhere, but when I was looking for a chunk of granite to set into my tile counter, I explored (at length) the remnant options. I found the chunk I wanted at WS Goodrich in Epping NH, and the price was around half what I saw elsewhere. And they had a lot of very large pieces, so if you were doing a small kitchen, it might be possible to piece together some remnants of the same kind of granite. I'm not so in love with granite that I mind having only a small piece, but some of the stuff I saw there was almost enough to make me change my mind. And they cut my piece the next day. Nice folks. So maybe checking around a little is a good idea. (I have no idea if these stone places are as common elsewhere as they are in NH.)

• sochi
    13 years ago

I would skip the pot filler, not really necessary.

- I would have found a spot for a dish washer drawer (but I know there isn't one)
    - I would have built-in a landing board under my mw

• stefb
    13 years ago

Someone has probably posted this idea elsewhere, but when I was looking for a chunk of granite to set into my tile counter, I explored (at length) the remnant options. I found the chunk I wanted at WS Goodrich in Epping NH, and the price was around half what I saw elsewhere. And they had a lot of very large pieces, so if you were doing a small kitchen, it might be possible to piece together some remnants of the same kind of granite. I'm not so in love with granite that I mind having only a small piece, but some of the stuff I saw there was almost enough to make me change my mind. And they cut my piece the next day. Nice folks. So maybe checking around a little is a good idea. (I have no idea if these stone places are as common elsewhere as they are in NH.)

• stefb
    13 years ago

• susyk
    13 years ago

I wish that I would have bought the granite slabs that I liked instead of conituing to shop to see if I liked something better for a better price. My mother in law did tell me to get the granite I like when I see it and not wait. When I went to buy them, they already sold one and now I can't find anything I like as much. I have to say I should have followed my mother in law's advice!!!