Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knittingjenny_gw

10yr kitchen refresh

knittingjenny
9 years ago

I've been lurking on the boards and hopefully picking up some good information. I am just embarking on a kitchen refresh. When we built our house 10 years ago, I opted against putting in granite because I didn't want to worry about our very young girls working in the kitchen. We have nice oak Shaker style cabinet doors which still seem very 'timeless' right now to me. I've been itching to make a few upgrades and changes though (and correct one very unsightly error) based on how we use the kitchen. I like the layout of the work surfaces, but NEED a better recycling and garbage center, and don't like the shape of the island. I don't have many drawer options now. We also have a desk with a built in TV/computer monitor. We use the desk all the time, but it doesn't have good filing/ storage options so often gets overrun with papers/schoolwork/life detritus. As I was planning the kitchen 10 years ago, I was guided by the idea of an updated farmhouse kitchen. That still fits me and the house so will likely stay with white stove /fridge (although I would like the smooth white finish).

My plan is for a budget ($10k) remodel.
New countertops w under mount sink.
New faucet.
New rectangular island with garbage, drawers, bookcase and seating for 3-4. I don't want the seating to be in line, so will have at right angles.
New desk area
New dishwasher ( our dishwasher has never been stellar @ cleaning).
Recessed lights and a few new outlets
Backsplash
Paint entire kitchen/eat in kitchen/ living room

After thinking that my budget would allow these things easily, I came to the rather shocked realization that I would have to be pretty savvy to get those items, and that we would be doing most of the work. We are pretty good DIYers, so I feel pretty good about it...( famous last words).

Assets. Like my current kitchen layout
Cabinets in good shape and function, mostly.
Hardwood floors
DH is handy.

Constraints
Budget. Fridge and stove replacement is likely soon, but not included in this budget amount.
Open plan room. As mentioned, this is one large open concept room. As much as I love white cabinets, they don't fit for my room. Realistically, they don't fit my households style either (and see below).
DH. LOVES stained oak. I lost the battle when we built for our house trim, so there was no way in the world that I would be able to paint the oak cabinets. He has other redeeming features.

Current plan.
As can be seen from the photos, there is a lot of BROWN in my kitchen. Too much. The windows face south and are always open as we overlook a DNR scenic area, but I only seem to take pictures at night. Since the current countertops were never going to be 'permanent', I didn't put in a backsplash.

Action items

Paint the entire room a Manhattan Mist (gray) from Behr.
Take out the desk, it's upper cabinet and island.
New Caesarstone quartz counter top Atlantic Salt. (1/2 my budget when on sale from Ikea).
New island with auto open garbage, drawers and bookcase from Barker cabinets. Shaker style cabinets painted dark navy( forgot the color name).
A new desk with file cabinet and a short cabinet hutch next to it with glass panes uppers, also from Barker, painted in same navy. The hutch will have a charging station for all our electronics that seem to litter the countertops, and will contain above mentioned detritus.
LED recessed lights to fix the 'temporary' lights installed a long time ago.
White beveled subway tile with a blue/blue green penny tile mix backsplash.
Miele futura panel ready dishwasher with oak panel ordered from Barker.
Refinish the door under the sink as it had some water damage. ( this has been done after consulting my friendly Rockler employee).
I also plan on making a flipper door to enclose the microwave. I really struggled with the microwave placement. I thought for sure I would install it in the island, but the Sharp drawer micro cost threw me -- and I really like it on the counter.
I'll keep the brushed nickel knobs, but swap the drawer handles for brushed nickel Cup drawer pulls.
I will be spraying the cabinets myself, installing the island with DH, and have a friend who is an electrician coming over for the electrical work.

Any thought/comments/feedback are welcome. I thought about going with green painted cabinets, but I'm a blue girl, and would love to have that. And I think it would be 'me'. I'm not terribly worried about resale-at some point I just want what I want, I guess. Would be interested to see if anyone else has made a diy flipper cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen b4

This post was edited by knittingjenny on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:48

Comments (34)

• Evan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds like you've done a lot of research and given it a lot of thought. I'll let the experts weigh in in more detail, but just a few thoughts.

1. I like the stained oak a lot. But agree there's a lot of it. Could you paint the chairs?

2. Do you have a lot of experience spraying paint? There's a real art to that, and you can really screw up your cabinets if you don't have tons of experience with a sprayer. Most people will get far better results brushing. My apologies if you're a pro with the sprayer.

3. I'm not sure what a flipper cabinet is. But you could build a place for the microwave right below the counter on your island. Just use your current microwave; you don't need a fancy drawer.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Do you really need island seating when there's a table so close? I would love that whole island for storage and work counter since the perimeter is lacking both.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

What an exciting project! One of the most important aspects of such an undertaking is the research, and I agree; it certainly seems as though you have done that.

Your budget is very reasonable, IMO, as long as you are careful and leave room for the unexpected to arise. I just DIY facelifted (except for counter install) my kitchen for about 6k, including 42 sq ft of quartz, new appliances, new sink and faucet, a few new cabs, new hardware, some new electrical and painting the whole shebang. That also icludes a marble backsplash that I might not do now.

If you are not married to quartz you might actually get granite cheaper. When I bought my quartz in April it was the most expensive material they offered at Home Depot. DH insisted on stone/hard surface instead of the laminate I planned. You might also take another look at high definition laminate or Corian/solid surface. As you already know that counter is dominating your budget, but it does not have to.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

If you still are lamenting the drawer MW sometimes you can find them on ebay for a lot less.

edb2n, I think a flipper cabinet is one with a door that opens up like an overhead bin on an airplane except that the door would recess and be hidden when opened. I could be wrong.

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello, thanks for the feedback thus far. Yes, flipper cabinets are like barrister bookcases. I have seen a few examples here, but not as a DIY option. Functionally, I really like the MW at counter level.

Edb2n, I appreciate your point on spraying. I'm not a pro, but have been practicing -- we are putting in some hickory face frames into an Airstream that we are redoing and I've been spraying the poly on those. So far so good. I am prepared to reassess and brush on if I'm not happy with the results.

As far as countertop surface, I will have about 80 sf. I really like the white/gray mix in the Atlantic Salt, the durability of quartz, and feel like it will shift the color scheme away from so much brown. I looked initially at other surfaces, and got some granite quotes, but feel like quartz will really lift the look of the kitchen.

The two stools in the island get used a lot for casual discussions with the cook or with each other. I'm hoping that by having a painted island and desk I'll have some much needed contrast in the room and that we'll be able to keep the current stools. The desk seat turns so that it can be island height as well -- and will be an extra chair. We'll see, I figure the seating decision is flexible -- after some serious pre-work!

This post was edited by knittingjenny on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 12:16

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think your kitchen looks good--some of the nicest older oak cabs I've seen. What would bother me once this is set in stone with new countertops is that you haven't addressed the congestion around the stove. The small appliances hog the counter, so how do you prepare a meal for four? I couldn't do it for two!

Is your fridge 32"? Will you be moving up to a 36" fridge? I would want to move the fridge down and get rid of the counter and cabinets to the right. I was going to suggest that you put a shallow pantry/broom closet/book case facing into the hallway, but I see you have a shallow pantry and the light switch is there. So I'd just go ahead and move it on down.

I'd also try to get some drawer bases into the island. Or utilize the base cabinet if you remove it to move the fridge. I'd also not waste island space with a bookshelf--just plan for books around the desk and gain a shallow base cabinet.

I would also remove the island stools for a few weeks' trial run and see if you can still be social without being seated. Imo it's not conducive to conversation with the cook in your layout as your back is to them at the sink and stove. I would be just as comfortable, or more so, at the table for snacks, homework, etc. To me, those extra warm bodies just add to the congestion.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

For 80 sq ft it seems like you are doing alright! That quartz is very pretty, too. It would look great even if you didn't paint those pretty cabs.

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for your comments. Excellent point may_flowers about the space around the stove. I guess you live with those initial decisions for so long that it is hard (for me) to look past them. We have the two toasters as a DD is celiac, and I just added it in when she was diagnosed. I did a mini rearrange last night, and I think I will move the MW to the far side of the fridge. Definite improvement from current state!

• eve72
    9 years ago

Do you really want to put $10k into a kitchen that will need to be completely gutted soon?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Disregard. It's our troll.

• Liz
    9 years ago

I think your plan sounds great! A navy island will be beautiful.

Losing the wood edge on the counters should go a long way to reducing the brown of the room.

As for the cost, you might get some competitors' quotes on the island and cabinetry pieces... there are several companies that will make cabs to custom specs. Not sure where they'd fall vs Barker, but something to check out.

Also shop around on the quartz... I've found that Ikea's prices on stone aren't *fantastic* and you may be able to save, especially if you're ok going with a non-brand name.

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. May_flowers, I am going to check with my electrician on moving the light switch into the hallway! maybe that would give me some options to rearrange. I will definitely be going with a 36 in wide refrigerator, so will need to see about that. It would be great to have that as contiguous countertop. Right now, where it put the microwave, that space always just collects items.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Cool! We moved ours down and were just able to reach the connection to the water line for the ice maker, so you may need to move your line if you use ice and/or water.

I'd do whatever I could to move, add, and modify cabinets to make this work for the next 10 or so years with a new counter.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Those cabinets are really nice! I think you can work with them easily. And the wood floors, another plus. If you change the island shape, how will that affect your flooring? I agree with the other post who asked about needing seating at the island, since you have a table in there already. Paint the island if you are inclined to. You could paint the cabinets, but I wouldn't, I think they look nice as they are. If that were my kitchen, I'd just get new countertops, backsplash and appliances, maybe some nice lighting above the island and call it done. It would look great and keep it under budget as well.

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, we are getting VERY close to being done. A bit more work on the desk and grouting. It does take so much longer then the best laid plans. I can't imagine not having my regular cabinets during this process. I initially was going to do a navy blue for the island and the desk, but it stood out too much. I like the grey. I also opted against the penny tile in the backsplash. The white backsplash really makes the kitchen much lighter, and goes well with the green wall color.

One thing I absolutely love is the Miele dishwasher with our "custom" panel. They are doors from the island that work really well. I love the dishwasher functionally and aesthetically. As you can see from the pictures, the top silverware drawer is right across from the silverware tray for the dishwasher. I also love having the drawer for all my heavy dishes.

After trying to find a nice microwave I went with a fun choice, one of the retro nostalgia electrics. It looks great, and works well for what we need.

The cabinets in the island/desk/hutch are all from Barker cabinets. I am very pleased. We did the servo drive ( I got that component at IKEA on sale) but love the auto open garbage! I did all the assembly myself, but my husband did the install of cabinets.

I love the quartz countertop. Still have a few finishing details (hopefully this weekend)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen refresh

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

That looks awesome. How did you/are you doing with your budget? I had to pay attention to see which "cab" you hid your dishwasher behind. That is great.
    Love the pops of red with the micro and KA.
    I am trying to decide on Barker..I wish they had more painted finish options. I really don't want to paint it myself.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

knittingjenny - oh my gawd you did a great job with this refresh! I love the combination of colours--the grey, light grey, and oak. Good call (though forced) on keeping the oak cabs un-painted.

How did you deal with the floors? Does the new island completely cover the old island's footprint?

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. The painting is a chore! I did wind up using a sprayer, but it was time consuming, detailed work. I love them now that they are done, but I completely understand the hesitation about painting. Maybe see if there is a local painter who would do it for you?

I don't have my final bill from the electrician, but I am currently under budget by $400. I would never have been able to stay on budget with my countertop ($4800) without us doing most of the work. Whatever his bill is, I say I'm on target ;)

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Hydrangea. The floors were complete under the old island, but not completely stained and finished. The main layout of the new island covers the old footprint, except for a right triangle of 7 inches or so next to the book case but under the countertop. That needed to be stained to match and sealed. If you look really close under the island, you can tell.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The results speak for themselves - beautiful!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

The blue on the island really makes a positive difference! And I love the retro microwave.

• magpier
    9 years ago

Wow! Looks really great. I'm impressed.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What a difference! It looks bigger and brighter and the island is so nice.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

nice! I really love the grey with the cabinets.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Very nice. It looks like a completely different kitchen. Looks very warm.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I'm crazy about your new island! Gorgeous. The whole kitchen looks great. It was worth all the work.

• carree
    9 years ago

Call me crazy, but the kitchen appears even bigger. You and your DH should feel so proud at the job you did here. Wow, you can consult kitchen renovations on a budget (on a dime!). Color choices work, and those pops of red are delightful and cherry. Hope you enjoyed the fruits of your labor while making Thanksgiving dishes. Enjoy

• jannie
    9 years ago

We bought our house in 1981, it had been built around 1957. Three rooms had been done in kitschy 50's pink, even a pink wall phone in the kitchen. We re-did the kitchen using "almond" as our base color- almond appliances and almond linoleum floor. It has ended up looking "unique" rather than dated. You can't find much almond anymore, but I recently put in replacement black range hood fan and black microwave and they look fine.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Impressive with smart updates/changes.

• AKJR
    9 years ago

Nice kitchen! I am doing a 10 year refresh and keeping my oak cabinets per dh as well. Yours looks great!

Do you mind sharing what kind of stove you have and if you like it? Is this the stove you mentioned needing to replace or a new one?

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

akjr, our range is a Maytag Gemini from 10 years ago. At the time, our DDs were 2 and 3 so I liked the knobs for the stove top away from little hands, even though it decreased the pan area some. We have liked the separate ovens, especially at Thanksgiving and for baking. It has served us well. Knowing it is 10 years old, I just am assuming it will need to be replaced soon.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. The desk is further along than this, but I'm working on the top trim for the hutch next to the desk now.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Seriously GREAT update.

What did you do with the desk/homework area?

• AKJR
    9 years ago

Thank you, knittingjenny. The knobs on the top caught my eye, but that is a good point about losing pan area. We use every square inch of pan area. Our current oven is large and it has a 25 degree difference from top shelf to bottom shelf. If I get a new range, I'd likely need to get a double oven unit to have the same functionality. Do you find it hard to take things out of the smaller oven without burning yourself (one of the cons I've seen online)?

• knittingjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't had any issue with burning myself. Now watch, the next thing I pull out of there I will! I don't think the newer Gemini have the knobs up top. I am looking forward to having that space back. That said, I routinely use a large stock pot and a 14 inch skillet, so I haven't noticed a big issue.