Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found My Granite Slab What do you Think??

Posted by Hammer136 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 21:41

Hello all i think i have found my granite slab its called Fire Bourdeaux just arrived at stone shop. Would like your opinion. Its matched up with a cherry stain cabinet by Decora Arlington.. Cabinet pic included. Second Trip to stone yard pics added give me your suggestions for my kitchen..

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found My Granite Slab What do you Think??

Here is a pic of the fire bourdeaux

o

Do you have a picture of your actual slab? There seems to be a Lot variation as to what this granite looks like in online images.

o

Here is the pic

o

Looks really pretty and may compliment cherry cabs nicely. I can't see the picture of your cabinet sample though. Did you post it?

o

Wow that is interesting. It's got a lot of movement. What fun!

o

Cab pic

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 23:06

o

Cab pic and tile, floor. Hope not to busy. Any thoughts

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:54

o

I am no interior designer but I love the cabs and granite together. They compliment each other nicely. Now the kitchen tile, not so much. Sorry. I think it might be too busy. Movement on counter and movement on floor = too much. Is the floor new? If that is something that won't be changed out then I would select a quieter type of granite.

o

Thanks the floor has the colors from the granite. The floor is about 4 years old that is my concern. I think it could work anyone else? Or anymore suggestions?

o

Pretty colors, but no relationship to the floor. If the floor is tile, you'll need to bring a tile to the stone yards and find something with similar colors and less movement-- not the Bordeauxs. If the floor is vinyl, I'd replace it and get the granite. You'll need a solid color for back splash with these granites too. Or you could do a solid quartz countertop and a colorful back splash, but you're probably not interested in quartz if you're picking these dramatic granites.

o

I made you a picture for visualization. LOVE the gorgeous granite! But I do think others are right that it will fight with the floor. The floor lacks the teal undertones that the granite has so strongly, and it sets the floor tiles against the granite. For me, it's this more than the movement that makes them fight.

o

I agree with the other posters. Your granite choice and existing floor do not go together. I do love your granite choice!! I wish you had a floor that would work with it.

o

This was our second choice. Thanks beautybutdebtfree for the pic config. How about this Typhoon Bordeaux would this go better. We just loved the Fire Bordeaux.

o

Here's the visualization with the Typhoon bordeaux:

I think you're going go have to choose between keeping the floor and going with a speckled quartz with no movement, or changing the floor and going with the granite you like best. Both granites are fine with the other elements, it's the floor that fights with granite.

Since you already have cabinet install in progress (over the existing floor tiles), this suggests changing the floor is less likely. In this case, I'd go with a quartz that coordinates with the FLOOR, meaning don't pick one that has burgundy bits, because your floor doesn't have burgundy bits, and this will also fight. Pick a quartz that has golden taupe, grey, and beige bits - the same colors as your floor. This is the only way you are going to get that floor not to fight..

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:03

o

Here's a rough PS mockup of your cabs and the top.
Might give you some idea.
Looks pretty good to me!

photo cabbasewgranite_zps0fcefbab.jpg

o

It looks good to me too - if the granite were to be installed right next to the floor tile, they'd "fight" as others said, but they're separated by the cabinets, and the colors go well. The worst that happens is you have to replace the floor down the road.

P.S. I live both your granite choices.

o

I think they are stunning together! Can't wait to see pics of your finished kitchen.

o

The teal is a strong color, so make sure you LOVE the teal undertones on the granite. Its not one of my favorites so I prefer the Typhoon Bordeaux. The floor doesn't bother me - I agree that the solid strong cabinetry 'breaks up' the floor and the granite and it doesn't clash ( to me).

Make sure your backsplash is quiet! No checkered glass tiles. I'd do a tumbled look that is very calm that has disappearing grout lines to minimize the brick or checkerboard look.

o

Thats to all we love it so far all new Stainless Steel appliances as well will help with the overall look. Wall oven and SS cooktop. Still entertaining any suggestions.Thanks to Bellsmom for the mockup. Wonder if you could do one for the Typhoon Bordeaux. TB was the easy choice but we wanted something different..

o

Bump

o

I can do one for TB granite. Find a pic that you like, or go photograph a slab you like and post it here. I'll try to remember to check back.

o

The slab is in the post the other slab pic is Typhoon Bordeaux. Thanks Bellsmom..

o

I love the cabs and the Fire slab. I see two different types of floor tile? Which one? I think a better choice of floor tile could be found. Will be interesting to see what back splash choices you try, definitely agree it needs to be quiet.

o
Typhoon Bordeaux countertop mockup

photo TBcabbasewgranite_zps558eac01.jpg

o

It'd be better to Photoshop with most of the floor in the pic unless you only care about cabinets. My cabinets don't really separate my counter from my tile unless I refuse to look at them both together. Kind of hard to do since my eyes do move around in my head.

o

I agree that the granite - drop dead lovely as it is - is going to be subtly "off" with that floor.

The stone has a strong blue-green tinge to it - cool tones. The floor tiles are yellowish-brown - warm tones. it's going to be hard to get paint and accessories that will make them both look good.

o

Do you have any more floor tiles left? If so take some to the stone yard and put them next to the chosen granite and hang a sheet over the top of the granite so that only a 2 foot strip along the bottom shows. You are only going to have a 2' deep piece on the counter not something that is 5' deep.

The problem isn't so much the colours but rather the size of patterns in the two - they are both essentially medium sized patterns and so will fight. You either need a large pattern granite (almost something sweeping - think marble like) or something smaller.

o

Well it sounds like you want to make it work no matter what, so go for it. If you hate it, you can always change out the floor.

o

Blfenton's suggestion is a great one. Even better if you have a sample of your cabinet finish to include in the juxtaposition.

o

I like your floor and cabinets. I like your cabinets and slab. I do not like them all together. I am in solid agreement with Beautybutdebtfree and Lazygardens on this.

o

Any granite suggestions im really confused. But i think it could work. Any quarts suggestions?

o

To me, the second granite choice seems to look nice with the floor. It's really hard to tell. I agree that if you could find your floor tiles and take some with you to compare that would help. The first granite is beautiful and the floor may be neutral enough to be OK but it really is hard to see in the pictures.

o

The large swathe of pink and red in slab#1 could take up a good portion of some of the counter, so you wouldn't be seeing the mix of colors and have a very pink looking counter.

Your floor appears more subtle than a lot of slate floors, in the photo. I think it will probably still be rather overdone and in conflict, to be choosing an actively patterned counter too.

Do you like soapstone? That could give you the beautiful richness of natural stone but one that enhances and complements your lovely slate floor rather than competing with it.

o

I love it together! Your cabinets are gorgeous. Either of the granites would look amazing with it. I don't mind it with the floor. I wouldn't put a one color dark counter on those gorgeous cabinets. Because of their bold but uncomplicated pattern I think the cabinets are the perfect compliment to something with lots of personality.

o

Should i go with the Fire Bordeaux or Typhoon Bordeaux??? Conflicted

o

The rose and teal is intense in the Fire, so it will more obviously clash with the gray and gold in the floor. Typhoon is closer to the floor colors.

o

Things are going foward still torn on granite selection.

o

Almost ready for templet.

o

I prefer the pink in the typhoon bordeaux - I think the fire is too pink.

I'm more with those that think the counters really have to go with the floor. As long as the floor is staying, you have to work around it.

o

They are too much with a slate floor. Does the tile go under the cabinets? If it does, I would think it can't be torn out later.

Have you googled pictures to make sure you like the effect?

o

Go with your gut. You need to love it. I like your floor and I like the first fire granite you picked out. I do not think they clash at all. The red in the granite will look beautiful on your dark cabinets. The floor looks like it has rusty red tones as well as blue. I think your counters will tie it all in nicely. I don't think your flooring is to busy for the movement in your granite.

o

Thanks I still have sometime.

o

I can't do red on counters. DH liked a granite that had deep red spots, and while I liked the stone, I couldn't see red spots that wouldn't wipe off on my counters. The red puddles would be a definite no way for me, but I really do like the way the green or teal in that slab compliments your cherry and slate.

When I was looking for my counters, I saw some soapstone with gorgeous green veins -- I just didn't want the green. It would be beautiful in your kitchen though.

o

I like your floor. I like the first granite (fire bordeaux). I just don't like them together.

If you're definitely keeping the floor, I would look for a counter with less movement....something like Caesarstone Shitake? The photos on the website do not do it justice. It's a nice balance between beige and grey and it's not too dark, and not too light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caesarstone Shitake

o

I saw this today and thought about you! I thought it would look good with your floor and cabinets but I have no idea what the name of it is and I don't know for sure exactly how your floor looks but it just seemed like a viable option. Good luck and again I love your cabinets! So pretty.

Linking a kitchen with dark cabinets and a light counter in the optional link below.

photo 20140728_135051_zpseb62d75e.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out those dark cabinets/counters

This post was edited by gr8day on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:29

o

I need a photoshop please. With FB

o

One more

o

Need fire bordeaux photoshop someone please. Close to D Day

o

Floor a little dusty excuse me.

o

Love the Fire Bourdeaux!

How much do you like your floor? More or less than the Fire Bourdeaux?

o

FB is, stunning floor is 6yrs old but nice.

o

Can the Fire Bordeaux work with my floor?

o

Have you counted up the yays and nays in this thread? I think you'll end up with it and find out for yourself.

My answer is no, it's too much color and pattern. It will feel like you're in a carnival fun house, not a kitchen.

o

I agree with the "too much" contingent, but you are the one who'll be living with it!

o

Figure out how you'll manage to re-do the floor *before* you commit. You might have to lay something over it now that the cabinetry is in. Make sure you find the options acceptable.

o

I vote no on the Fire. I think you could pull off Typhoon. I do not think you would be happy with a plain Caesarstone if yu are looking for something dramatic and different.

Frankly, I love your floors, and between Typhoon and Fire I would vote Typhoon.

Why the deadline? If you are spending that kind of money on a counter it really should be something you love. if you REALLY need more time choose a cheap laminate just for now or lay plywood out on the counter and take your time on making a decision for stone.

Making a decision under that much pressure is a real gamble. So many people say "I wasn't sure it would be right but I am SO GLAD I made the impulsive decision." Some people regret not having thought it through and had to make expensive changes to their reno.

o

I think you wanted to evaluate the countertop and the floor together. I don't have much time, but this is countertop, a splash of cabinets, and floor.
Again, they don't look bad together IMO.
 photo firebordeaux_zps8d7508d0.jpg
Do be aware that the light in which the different pics were taken can greatly alter their colors. If the granite was photographed in daylight or under fluorescents, for example, and the floor under incandescent light, their colors would be altered toward cooler or warmer spectrum.

o

I vote a resounding no on both of the granites.

Your floor and your cabinets are beautiful.

Finish the kitchen with something that compliments both.

o

I agree with holding off. We went for 6 weeks with no kitchen at all, and another month between templating and counters (and plumbing). At the time it seemed an eternity; a year later, it was nothing.

Take all the time you need to make the right decision, whatever that might be. It's understandable to be a bit apprehensive until you actually see the slab in your kitchen, but my sense is that you are a lot unsure.

The suggestion to bring a couple of pieces of tile to the slab yard is an excellent one. I might even be tempted to pull up a couple of tiles from under the range or DW (where it won't show if I don't get them replaced perfectly).

o

Again, I agree with the suggestion to take one or two floor tiles with you to the granite yards. Also take a door or drawer from the cabinets so you can see all three finishes together.

Take your time at the granite yard. Photograph the tiles and the cabinet wood leaning against each granite.
I did this and it made all the difference in clarifying my choices.

Then use the photographs to refresh your memory as you compare both.

Computer images can only give you a very rough idea. I would NEVER depend on them for a final decision if I had any opportunity for on site comparison, and I use computer imaging software all the time.

o

I'm sorry, but they don't look good together. It's like a paisley top and plaid pants. It doesn't even matter if the colors jive a little, it's so busy. But it's not my kitchen. If you like how they look together in 10:03 from Bellsmom, then you have your answer.

I realize your cabs are on top of your tile floor. [Another reason I'm glad I chose not to have my new bathroom tile floor run under my new vanity.] Are you really stuck with it? It's 6 years old. Even if it's still in great shape, I don't know that I'd want to hang onto something that limits my counter choices. Surely floor tile, what's visible at least, that runs under cabinets can be replaced?

o

If too much pattern, too much movement, not complimenting each other doesn't get it for you, I hope linelle's paisley top/plaid pants does. Even if you wanted a Very Bradley look, the colors aren't right for mixing patterns. On my monitor, they are reading grey/gold (slate floor) and green/red (granite counter). As mentioned before, the scale of the two are not good together. The more I see of them together, the worse it is, not better.

Sorry. I know you don't want to hear this, but this is a very big part of the visual comfort of your kitchen and an expensive place to make a mistake. Take your time and find the right fit. If this is a move in situation where you have to clear an inspection to fund your mortgage or move in, I'd go get the cheapest laminate from stock at HD or Lowe's and take my time figuring out the permanent solution.

o

I don't like either of them, so another vote against. I am sure that I would get tired of the colors in the Fire Bordeaux very quickly. I like your floor, I like the mix of soft colors with the strong color of the cabinets. (I am not sure, is it real tile or vinyl? if it is vinyl, get the granite that you want and replace the floor)

Neither of the granites work with the floor IMO. I don't even like them with the cabinets all that much (two strong elements together) but I know that others really like an overall dark look,

o

One last image--
 photo finalcountertop_zps891df511.jpg

Again a reminder that in these quick mockups pattern scale and color may be way off.

Do let us see the final result after your choices are installed!

o

I agree im not a fan either can to far to rush to a granite choice. Back to the stone yards we go.. Thanks all update coming..

o

Wise choice! Good job moving forward!

o

Agreed. Wise choice. Take tile and cabinet samples with you.

o

Thanks to everyone that took the time to advise me. Im good at picking some things but for some reason this granite has stumped me. Here is a link to the stone yard in our area check stones in the gallery and let me know your granite pics Thanks again looking foward to your advice. Please help im stuck

http://earthstoneinc.com/products-information/granite-slabs-1/

http://www.granitecentral.net/

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 15:34

o

Hammer136, I completely understand where you are coming from. I finally "painted myself into a corner" design-wise, when planning my own kitchen. I finally took three very different inspiration photos into the KD at Hme Depot and she somehow managed to pick what I loved most about each design and put together a counter and color palette that I fell in love with.

Houzz and the like can be overwhelming, but try doing a search for "light slate floors cherry cabinets" and see what others have chosen. you might not find exactly the stone that works for your kitchen but you can get a feel of what colors and tones will work for you and take that info to the stone yard with you.

o

Important to pick what YOU like!

It is very easy to be led astray by what is popular or what others think. It happened to me. While I will have a nice kitchen, it is not what I would have chosen.

Have the courage to be daring with some choices. I did that with my siding (did not chose what is popular) and it is the thing I get the most compliments on and I am most happy about.

o

Okay, here are top-of-my-head picks form that site. But BE AWARE these are based upon pics and real life is probably much different, so please take the advice to bring a cabinet door and tile samples with you to the yard.

I chose these first for their seeming color compatibility, second based on the drama you seem to like, and third for their pattern size. Movement can be good, but large "splotches" of color will be one of the things that compete with your floor pattern.

I skipped over many quieter choices simply because that is the easy way and does not seem to be what you want.

1. River White (but I am biased...I LOVE this stone! One of my favorites!)
2.Kashimir Ivory
3. Kashmir Gold
4.Yellow River (but the first slab shown, not the second that is all beige)
5. Juparana Persa
6. Bordeaux River (but not the third slab shown)
7. MAYBE Colonial Gold and MAYBE Daino Reale

Again, colors IRL will be very different. It will be harder to find a dramatic stone that complements your slate but I think you can do it. :o) Are you limited to that stone yard?

o

I put in Crema Bordeaux in my new kitchen. It looks very similar to the Typhoon. The best advice I got at the granite yard was you have to love it. As soon as I saw the CB, I instantly loved it and and still do seven years later. I love how the colors change with changes in the light which I think the Typhoon would do too. I have lighter, (honey maple cabinets) than you but that granite looks beautiful with cherry. I would be a little concerned about the floor-on my monitor it looks bluish and a bit busy. If there's any way to change the floor, I would keep the granite you love and change out the floor (to wood). but I think that's probably a costly change at this point. I'm hoping that it works when you take all the pieces to the granite yard!

o

rabbit, I wish I had taken more time with my counter cnoice. The decision to reno happened so fast I never even got a chance to fall in love with Fantasy Brown until it was too late. Now I think I am going to have to build another kitchen in my basement to get my soul stone.

o

Another bit of advice. When you find a slab you like, put your name on it. There may be several of that name stacked up, but they may well be very different. Be certain to personally choose EVERY slab you will use.

Then be certain to be present when they are templated. The same stone can sometimes be cut very differently and give a totally different look.

o

bump

o

I looked through the site for your stone yard. My personal favorites were probably the Costa Esmeralda and soapstone (looks like green veins). Those are darker than what you were looking at, but I think you have enough light and the lighter slate floor to pull it off.

Some of the Giallo Ornamental (the one on the left that says 116x74 underneath in particular) loos good. Look at the Sea Pearl if you want to go lighter still.

What I did to look at them together was pull the stone gallery up on one screen and reduce it, then look at this thread and that last photoshopped image so I could see the slabs and the larger portion of the flooring together. I am undecided about the Delicatus (2nd one), Daino Reale (1st one), Geriba Beach Leather and a few others but part of that is my personal preferences.

Be careful with some of the slabs. The Kashmir Gold slabs tend to have some very liner movement and that might conflict with your tumbled tile pattern.

That Green Peace is fabulous. I'd like to see where that one winds up. It would be a gorgeous table top -- almost a shame to cut it up.

o

I concur with Lascatx suggestions.

o

No 1 Hello visited stone yards again look what we found what do you think

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:33

o

Number 2

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:26

o

Number 3

o

Number 4

o

Number 5

o

Number 6

o

No 7 Any thought will be helpful

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:10

o

No. 2 : )

No. 6 looks nice as well

o

Oh, I LOVE number 1! Although I might also love number 2 if I were to see the whole slab.

My second choice is number 4.

o

I take it back, both mine are out for me, after putting them up next to your tile pic.

I vote for the last one, the un-numbered one.

o

I concur with gr8day on number 2 & 6.

o

What is 6 called? The color tones are a soft gold and gray, which is in your floor, but it could be the blurry pic. I'd like to look at it on the website.

I think deep gold granite with red-stained cherry pushes you into a Tuscan style, and your floor tiles are more casual and country, so I'd eliminate 1, 3, and 7.

o

Yhttp://stoneparkusa.My choices are
1- Berllini
2-Juparana Vyara
3- Hawaiian Bordeaux
4- Revelation
5- Yellow River / Below is the web link any suggestions are appreciated.

http://stoneparkusa.smugmug.com/Granite-Marble-Quartzite-Slabs#!/

o

I think the last one (Speratus) is the only I'd consider. It is inthe golds that some folks will see as a dated "Tuscan" look. I've never been partial to the golds, so that is why I was looking to the greens.

Number 6 is a good idea, but not a good color -- too much pink. It's close, so if you really like it, it would be worth looking at the two together. If you don't have tiles you can take, it is going to be tricky. You may have to go search for some tile in the same colors to try to match them.

When you take photos of slabs, try to get them all at the same angles -- full slab (for pattern, movement etc.) and close ups (for color) of each.

This post was edited by lascatx on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 23:11

o

At least with 7 it's almost a solid gold. There's so many colors in the tile that you might be better off picking the most solid color granite as long as one of those colors is in the tile. What lascatx refers to as dated is what I think of as strongly identified with theTuscan style of gold/cherry, which was popular a decade or so ago. Usually the floor is also predominantly gold. Everything is ornate in those kitchens. Your tile pattern and color mix isn't that Old World style, it's more of what I think of as Americana, and your kitchen is more modest than the excesses of Tuscan. So it could look like a weird mismatch of styles. So there's more to consider than just color.

o

Go with the FB, and just change your floors.

IMHO

o

I think you're ending up where you began, with busy patterns. It seems you really want an exotic looking stone counter (don't blame you, they are beautiful and mesmerizing), so I would make the hard decision of choosing between the floor or the counter. As it stands now, the pattern is on the floor.

Soapstone would be handsome but maybe that material wouldn't work for you. Someone posted a granite substitite, Virginia Mist I think it was. It was a quiet medium gray. There was a leathered finish Steel Gray posted today too.

The slate floor is very nice. You just have to decide if that is the look you want to stay with. I'd also google kitchen slate floors to view lots of examples and combinations.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 0:03

o

I agree with Lascatz that a green would look pretty. Also, soapstone. Virginia Mist granite would be a good choice if you aren't interested in soapstone. I found a couple of pics with Costa Esmeralda granite.
This one is a bathroom but cabinet colors are similar & a slate floor.

o

You seem to like color so here's one that has more personality.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 9:36

o

A little greener in this one & cabinet color is close to yours.

o

The slate floor is very nice! Not everyone has several thousand dollars to throw into a new tile floor, especially when you've just paid for a new kitchen. It's easier to temper ones love of a lot of vibrant color and find something that works. A lot of granites will work. I'm not madly in love with my countertop, but I chose it because it works with my floor tile and cherry cabinets. I wouldn't put a black counter with the dark cabs though.

o

Get the granite that you absolutely love and that looks great with your cabinets-- it's a much more critical to love the granite you choose than to find a granite that plays nice with your floor. If you get it in and it looks great with the cabinets and backsplash then you are 90% there- if the granite/floor interaction doesn't thrill u at that point then there are inexpensive ways to tone it down (e.g. Throw rugs, runners, etc), your floor doesn't have all that much noise in my opinion, as long as you pay attention to the undertones you will be fine. You keep going to the granites that have a lot of movement, which seems to say that you are not going to be happy with a granite that reads as a solid- there's nothing wrong with choosing a high movement stone --they're beautiful and will look lovely with your cabinets. Granite is too pricey to choose one that leaves you lukewarm. I'd add to be sure to use a Google images search to see finished kitchens with your final choice to be sure you know what the installed look is, in some cases it's strikingly different from viewing the slab as a whole. Good luck!!

This post was edited by kris_ma on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 7:02

o

I agree. There's nothing like being in your own skin. If it's a possibility, go for the counter that will make you smile and feel good every day. You look at it much more than the floor and color is the first thing we see and relate to in a space. It affects how we feel. Moreso, if you do something that clashes, you will not enjoy being In the space. Just figure out floor replacement first, if that's the path you choose. A complicated rip out and prep could make it cost prohibitive, as the tiling or wood Install is not cheap either.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:34

o

The advise you get here is free. It's value is in what you make of it. Keep in mind than no one here is going to be standing behind that choice when it's in your kitchen, you hate it and are looking at paying to rip it out. Or have cabinets that get damaged in the process, etc. Slabs of stone are not within the do-over budget of most folks.

You have a lovely slate floor laid in a pattern that shows it off well. You really don't need to be ripping it out or covering it up with rugs that will add more patterns (even a solid rectangle is another pattern).

Keep in mind that you go to the stone yard and are looking at slabs -- as slabs. Nothing else -- just "what jumps out and grabs my attention here?" Obviously, you are drawn to patterns and movement. But that stone yard isn't your kitchen and a rack of slabs is not the way it is going to live or work in your kitchen.

Every kitchen requires us to make choices and leave some of what we love on the editing floor. Picking the most fabulous in every element is how you wind up with a room full of clowns and wanting to cry into your coffee. Editing is an important part of the process -- maybe one of the most important parts, but there is something out there you will love. You might not pick it on its own, but you will love it as part of the whole room. Look at them as parts of a whole -- not as wholes themselves.

o

On a scale of 0 (dislike) to 10 (love it) - how much do you like the slate floor?

On that same scale, how much do you like the FB?

If the slate floor is a 2 and the FB is a 10, I would hate to see you pass on something you love. Even if you did not replace the floor right now, it could be the next thing you plan to do.

I see MANY combinations on GW and Houzz that I don't think look good together. That doesn't matter; what matters is if the person living with them likes the combination.

Maybe wait, live with plywood countertops for a while and come back to the decision later. I have done that several times and found decisions to be so much easier after some time has passed.

o

I remember you asked about quartz, which may mean you're not wedded to movement, but obviously you like color. I looked at both of the granite sites you posted for blue or green granites, though I think the blue gray dominates in the tile. But I thought Surf Green might work and saw some nice photos of counters on Houzz. This is the 115" x 75" slab at Earthstone.

o

May_flowers, that is a gorgeous slab!

o

Is it kind of like Sea Pearl? The blues and greens look blended and grayed down enough so it doesn't really read strongly one way or the other. There's a little creamy gold. I like the softer colors with the floor instead of the bright teal in Fire Bordeaux. Then the cabinets carry the strong color for the room.

o

may_flowers, great find! I was going to also suggest African Rainbow which is a cool green and gray granite with a little bit more movement than the Surf green. I think the picture romy poste at 0:14 above is great. The green granite/soapstone options seem to be a good fit for your floor and cabinets. Love both those choices. Hang in there-you will find a slab that has your name written on it.

o

Ok getting closer Crema Bordeaux possibly

o

May/Flowers, that is really pretty and would go very well. Calm like the sea pearl but with more color. When you take slices off the slab, there would still be plenty of movement.

Hammer136, the images of Cream Bourdeaux I get when I google it are not any better. I', sorry I can't seem to explain myself or help you any better. Good luck.

o

This says CB, with a moderately varied tile pattern:

This also says CB, shows less active stone with a slate floor but stronger than yours:

Combining the two is not a look for everyone and often doesn't work, so be sure to google lots of examples. Notice in these two that they've layered lots of pattern throughout, not just an active floor and counter. Something else to consider.

o

Thanks all this is helping a great deal. I did look at the Surf green slab it is different but nice. Also liked the Sea Pearl. Im going to slow it down a bit and take all your advice. I like my floor dont need another expense at this time. Once it gets a profrssional cleaning we think it will be even better. Im feeling better all ready. When I took this project on we flew thru our choices and all has gone well just the stone makes me think a little more because we want to get it right. Im taking this all in along with all your help. But gonna have to decide soon templet just got done today...

o

Snookums, the floors in these photos are warmer and that helps them work better with the warmer tones in the granite. The OPs floor favors the cooler tones. Also notice that in each of those photos, at least one element is even toned and calm. The first one has more variation and movement in the counter while the floor reads overall a single tone. The second one has stronger pattern in the floor with a calmer granite.

It's really going to vary from slab to slab. Most of the slabs I was finding images of had more red in them, and when you put that with the red in the cabinets, those accentuate the gold in the tile which makes the pattern seem bolder. I'm also a bit concerned about getting too many red tones together and becoming overpowering -- that red kitchen where in my house it was the grand brown hall concern (I went with white cabinets and cherry for the island only).

o

Agree about the reds. The reds seem to be calling to him, but I'm not a fan of overly warm spaces, so I like to go opposite on the color wheel with cherry--blue, green and even gray.

To me, the Bordeauxs and other dramatic granites say "Look at this pretty rock I found! I just had to have it!" You want to have the kitchen be beautiful, not just the countertop. While at the granite yards, I would ask myself WWLT? (What would Linelle think?), because I think her analogy of wearing a paisley shirt with plaid pants is exactly what's going on with some choices. The cherry cabinets are a big wide leather belt separating them, but you still see that something's off.

Houzz shows Surf Green granite with a slate backsplash and cherry colored chairs. Looks very classy and serene. I like classy and balanced more than showy, so I guess that sums up my aesthetic.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics here

o

Lascatx, the point of my post was pattern, not color. I was trying to show the OP some Crema Bordeaux slabs (which generally appeared on the bolder side like the original slabs), with a subtly patterned floor similar to his ( first photo); and the juxtaposition of a stronger pattern with the other component quieter ( second photo showing a calmer, more neutral CB). To see how patterns relate, good or bad - and most importantly, whether he likes the effect overall of a mix of patterned materials like this. The CB slabs vary quite a bit in color and grain. I could not find his floor.

But you are right, he might not have been able to discern from the images alone the effects I was trying to show simply from what I wrote since this is all new ground for him. I thought the discussion on patterns was covering that, though it all does seem to be slipping by altogether, as you noted above.

To the OP, I think getting your stone through a good artsy tile store with a designer, or hiring a designer for the counter and backsplash to help you narrow down some selections would be a wise investment. Even if you get the patterns working with a granite, between distorted photographs and individual monitor variances, the colors and undertones in cyberspace can be grossly inaccurate. It is too costly an error to not get right and your preferences take some skill to pull off successfully. Like eclectic style interiors.

Hope the images are more useful now. Sorry the point was so unclear.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:18

o

Any thoughts

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:02

o

Any thoughts

o

Any thoughts

o

Love the last one : ) The ones that I like the most are all similar. This one would be very pretty with your flooring. I feel your pain. I must have looked at thousands of slabs over a period of months and months even looked in different states when I had to travel. I remember one place I went to so much to see their new slabs when they came in and I asked if it was ok if I just looked at the slabs by myself and she said "oh sure you're family". How embarrassing.. : /

This post was edited by gr8day on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 11:06

o

The third one is my preference- it seems to read overall cool toned and the two primary colors in it are close enough in value that it reads as a solid (or close to it anyway). I think it's lovely.

o

Absolutely that last one! It is not only gorgeous I think it absolutely goes the best with your floors.

How do YOU feel about it?

o

I like has a nice contrast lite granite to the dark cabinets. Or this one im very close.

o

The one posted at 10:22 is possible.

The one at 10:19 would give you a very orange kitchen. It might work if you didn't have so much red in your cabinets.

The one at 10:13 just doesn't do it and the one at 15:05 looks good with the cabinet color there, but not the floor and in your kitchen.

o

I'm hesitant to post, because I may not be as kind or constructive as I'd like. But when I asked for help here, I got it, and on at least one subject I needed a bit of a firm tone in order to get the message. I'm still so grateful for that!
You've received excellent, patient advice and assistance. You've been given photoshopped pictures and directed to inspiration pictures and slab alternatives. The post from lascatx on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:27 is so brilliant I've re-read it several times and clipped it for future reference.
For your own sake please review some rooms you really like and notice the way individual elements form a whole. And review some rooms you don't like, and notice the reasons for that. Be clear about the kind of space you want to create (energetic and bold versus soothing and airy, rustic vs elegant, earthy vs chic, etc) and then find pictures which match your vision. Share those, and then these generous and talented people might be able to help you achieve it.
Keep working at your vision until you can "edit" as Lascatx suggests. I admire *all* the fabulous things I see on GW - the copper sinks, the mixed hardware, the walls of tile, behind the range accents, waterfalls, dynamic granite, greys, aquas, creams and white, statement range hoods, corbels, marble slabs, light fixtures, etc etc...but they can't all fit in one kitchen. Just like the pages of a book need margins and line breaks, our kitchens need places where the eye can rest.

o

Thanks everyone that comented everyone helped me alot. Thanks again.

o

You changed the photo at 10:13 and that changed everything that follows. Be careful or you and we aren't going to be able to keep things straight.

My favorite is still the one Mayflowers posted because it has such a lovely color. The green will compliment the red in the cabinets while accentuating the softer tones in your floor. It has movement without being busy or loud. Stunning. The soapstone and costa esmeralda would do well too, but they are darker and you have clearly not entertained that idea.

I'm going to try to ignore this thread now. I've said all I can say. Thank you kksmama for finding something to remember in it. It isn't original. I think any good designer, the pros and the experienced amateurs here, will all tell you the same thing. I'm sure I've read it all here before.

And now I'm going to vent a little and try not to lose the playing nice factor altogether.

My frustration here is that I don't feel the OP is paying attention. Maybe they just don't get it and I can't explain it any better. The suggestion to get a pro involved and looking at these in person has been made more than once. I think its time to heed that advise. It takes time and effort for us to open up multiple screens and look at them and then comment on them thoughtfully. When the comments appear to be ignored, or at least not beneficial, and followed only by another set of photos that show we aren't making any progress in the process, I have to stop. I suspect others already have.

Good luck.

o

I was just going to say the same thing, again. Ya needa designa. You need on-site help to narrow down some appropriate choices for you. Pattern aside, no one can see the true colors and undertones anyway. You can't solve this problem yourself online. You are fighting your own taste on this. You are headed for a clashing disaster, whether you are ever able to see it now or after the fact. It is painful to watch and a waste of everyone's time.

o

" It's like a paisley top and plaid pants. It doesn't even matter if the colors jive a little"

my X would wear a paisley shirt with plaid pants. He reasoned that they had the same color in them. Having the same color doesn't matter. It was still an assault on eyesight.

while I really like the Fire granite as a slab, I don't like it that much horizontally on the cabs. It could be one of those things where it'd be a good accent on an island with a plain perimeter counter.

o

Thanks for all your help again choices have been narrowed down to 2 granites. I did pay attention Thanks , I am fine just got a little off point. I got it thanks again to you all.

o

I see that you changed the first one, so is that in the running?

I still like the Surf Green too but maybe it's too green in person. You seem to be embracing the blues now.

o

Lascatx, don't be discouraged. I don't think you or anyone has been ignored, it's just a certain posting style of not being very expressive. Some people don't like to write, and many are on mobile devices now where it's a chore to make a long post. More than once I've spent a lot of time thinking about someone's kitchen and writing a post to explain my thoughts, only to get absolutely no acknowledgement. I have seen posters pick and chose which posters to respond to and ignore the rest. Every time it happens, I tell myself that's the last post I'll make, but I love the process and challenge of design. Also, even if an OP isn't responsive, many other people read these threads and maybe they will find something of value. There is a greater audience who does appreciate it, rest assured! I've learned a lot from reading your posts!

o

Lastacx et al., please do not be discouraged, you tried and others have learned from your generous wisdom, even if OP has not. I teach medical professionals and see a couple things in common with OP. Sometimes, despite the very best professors students fail a course. Also, sometimes, a student will "shop" for the answer they want to hear, even if it is wrong.

May_flowers - you are absolutely correct, the greater audience does appreciate it.

Snookums - YES, OP desperately needs a designer. Using my teaching analogy, some students need a private tutor to succeed. OP needs a private tutor to shop with.

This post was edited by mdln on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 16:11

o

Yes, don't stop posting. While there are certain things we call Linelle for, when it involves color & undertones I always think, "I hope May_flowers sees this post."

o

Ha romy, I think you and I see the same things since I always agree with your comments! We learned our undertones on Peke's thread! Or I should say on one of Peke's three threads! Wonder what she ever chose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here