Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

oldbat2be: questions re your conestoga

young-gardener
9 years ago

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot, Oldbat2be, and that's it's not supposed to be on the conversations board.

DH and I are leaning toward Conestoga for our kitchen, and thecabinetjoint has given us the better of the two Conestoga quotes we've gotten. In fact, they were super kind enough to put the quote together for me using a drawing of the design plan when I struggled to figure out how to piece a list together via their web-form. (ahem)

If we deduct the 1700 hood (yikes!!) and have someone we know make it, the quote is even better. ;) ;) Actually, I'm downright impressed with the pricing given the quality.

Anyway, in the mounds of hunting I've done for Conestoga threads, I found that your lovely kitchen was a Conestoga. Go figure! :)

We are actually looking at the same front you used for the linen closet: no bead inset, Madison door. Delicious! I might have them price out a plain shaker for me *just* in case. An extra savings wouldn't hurt, and I do like them.

SO, a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

-How are you liking the functioning of the RTA insets? Any issues with function as far as the doors/drawers sticking and whatnot?

-The Madison: is cleaning the little bead a bear? It's so pretty, but I'm trying to be practical at the same time. :)

-You mentioned that they weren't terribly hard to put together. For the inset version, do you lean more toward DIY or hiring out the assembly? I assembled all of our Ikea cabinets last time around, but that's a whole different ballgame from insets, no doubt. Also, I didn't have a little one, so I was working in the daytime and not at the end of a long day. ;) We WILL be having someone install them because that didn't go well for us last time.

- Can you tell me a bit about your linen cabinet? Scrolling through the choices online, I don't see one set up like that, and I'm totally smitten with that layout. It makes me wonder if I'd rather have a flush style like that than a stepped style for the hutch. Also, it would be perfect for what we are planning for the dining/library. As far as the glass part, is it considered a 2 lite?

-On my pie in the sky wish list is converting the big linen closet to a built in style. I was looking at size options and started to wonder how possible that was. Did you do a box for yours, too, or did you have a front made to fit the existing whole? Here's what I'm working with:

It's a terrible shot, but the closet on the left is the one I'm doing. I'd *someday* like to do the closet on the right (just a door now), also, but the linen closet comes first. Looking at the outdated bathroom, you can see our project list is loooong. :) :) :)

-We are looking at the Advantage line with an upgrade to solid wood shelves. I know they renamed the lines recently.... any experience with the other line? They said this was the better longer term cabinet, but I'm wondering how "short term" the Essence is. Ultimately, the plywood box is more appealing, but I'm trying to be open to options so we can get this done within budget (no small task!).

-HInges: they only do hidden, right? Man, the choices are overwhelming and the sites aren't feeling super user-friendly when it comes to looking up what those options are.

Thank you so much! I know that's asking a LOT. PLanning a forever kitchen is a bit more stressful than planning one you know you'll soon be selling. Add that to the fact that I want something super timeless and that DH has given me a rather unrealistic budget, and well....WHEW!!

Comments (5)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry to butt in, but you could purchase a face frame from Brian. Use it to build out the face of your closet and put doors on it. I've done this and it's much easier than you'd think. As you've noticed, everything is built to your measurements, so it's not something you'll find online. Face frames are buried on their site and I can never find them. I just ask. (Now I make them myself, though.)

I purchase doors not drilled for hinges because I prefer a more classic, exposed hinge look.

If you're wanting to economize by not taking plywood boxes, consider plywood on the bottom and whatever on the top. Your more heavily used boxes and anything near water, IMHO, should be plywood.

As far as putting them together, there are many threads here extoling the virtues of how easy it is to put these together, tips and tricks, and links to Brian's how-to videos, which are very well done.

Now, back to oldbat2be. One of the kitchens of my heart. :) Then there's littlefishies, but oldbat2be has that great closet.....

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Thanks for chiming in, Christine! You're definitely the resident expert on assembling inset Conestoga.

young-gardener - no issues with any of the cabinets we've purchased so far, but I should explain that we haven't purchased an actual inset cabinet from Conestoga (yet). Most recently, for the linen closet, we purchased a face frame with openings for lower drawers and upper doors, and DH built the upper cabinet box and supports for the lower drawer glides. Here's the frame; it went into the corner behind (17" deep).

In retrospect, this was a ton of work (building the upper box; less so surprisingly the drawer glide supports). DH is very exact and was able to make it work.

No problems with functioning of doors/drawers (used the Blum hardware).

Haven't thought to clean the bead! Bead closeup prior to install:

Installed but without upper hardware:

CEFREEMAN has put together many an inset cabinet and has posted good installation tips, so I wouldn't hesitate to try one (but again, I've got a really good assembler). You must be the judge! Getting someone to install them should be a great help.

When spec'ing this, I specified what I thought were door openings (was a tad surprised to find holes upon receipt), but that was OK because I had considered glass as well.

Regarding your linen closet, the folding doors do take less hallway space (just saying). Drawers might be your best option. How deep is the space?

As mentioned above, we did do a box, but had shy of 18 inches, which meant that we would have to use 12" glides, if we used the 15" box. (Hence, the custom route).

No experience with the other line. I am not sure about visible hinges, sorry.

Glad to help, best of luck with (all) the projects:)

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

My inset cabinets from conestoga are going in now. I couldn't get in to take pictures because they grouted tile on their way out this afternoon, but maybe tomorrow....

Two pros have done about 6 cabinets in one work day, but they spent a lot of time sorting out the parts first.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

I put some pictures up on the other Conestoga thread, if you want to check them out. More tonight, when they finish the next set.

Just wanted to suggest that if you are wondering about cleaning the Madison door bead, you can do what I did and order the TW 1038 door with a regular bead around the panel. It's like tiny quarter round, so the dust won't collect under the bead or on the edges of a straight shaker panel.

Here is a picture, if you can see it.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman- Thanks for the tip on the face frames. We'll look into that. :) Yes, I'm having a terrible time finding things on their site! What a shame. I, too, prefer the exposed hinges, but I dare say that's above our skill level. ha! Do you give lessons? ;) Problem is, I'd be super picky about things being even, and I'd drive DH absolutely batty. He doesn't have an eye for detail. *ahem* I appreciate all the input! THanks for chiming in!

Barlowmom- How lovely! You must be so excited to see the finished product (I am, and it's not even my house!). I'll head right over and check out the photos. Thank you for the door suggestion and photo. I'm going to show it to DH tonight. It's so hard to pick online. Whew! As for the speed of install...that frightens me a bit, since I"m anything but aprofessional. ;)

OldBat2Be- Hm, yes, building drawers could be an issue unless we hired that part out. Maybe I should consider an all door linen set up (boo) so we don't run into trouble there. For the dining/library, we should be able to get a box in the size we need. Love the glass you picked, by the way. Is this considered one of their "tall cabinets?" Shoot, good point on the folding doors/regular doors/drawer clearances. I hadn't thought of that. I am headed to the house this afternoon and will take some measurements of everything. That hall does feel quite narrow to us. I'm hoping that making the linen closet built in and changing the door opposite it to two narrow french doors will help. We'll see! As for the closet depth, it seems rather shallow to me for a linen closet, but that could be because the one in our last house was about 3 feet deep (and wildly impractical!). Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have a box to fit. HA! Regardless....thanks for all the answers! It really does help me sort things out.