Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Blanco sink to go with my granite

colorfast
12 years ago

Hi,

Trying to decide which Blanco Silgranit sink color to go with my granite. Finalists are metallic gray, anthracite or white.

I could probably be persuaded with any of them.

Heard from our granite fab guy that his personal anthracite sink faded a bit after several years...anyone else heard that?

Comments (19)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I love the metallic Blanco, gut might go with anthracite to have it blend in more. It won't distract from your granite that way!

• bishop8
    12 years ago

I bought the metallic grey super single, but haven't installed it yet. I just thought the white and anthracite were too extreme on either end. I guess I'm just kind of oatmeal that way. :) It also looked the closest to stainless but with the benefits of silgranit.

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

Oh, your granite is to die for! What is it called? Wow.

As to the comment from your fabricator about anthracite fading, I've never heard that about Silgranite anthracite before on this forum. I would take that comment with a grain of salt. It's been noted on other threads that people tend to assume any granite composite sink is Silgranit, and we don't know that your fabricator's is definitely Silgranit or another brand. For example, I think there are a few black granite composite sinks sold at Home Depot that get poor reviews. Also, Blanco reformulated Silgranit in 2009, and called it "Silgranit II", which is what is being sold today. Blanco says it is superior to their original formula. I'll link the press release about it.

Please keep in mind that plumber's putty should not be used to install a Silgranit sink. Plumber's putty has oils in it that will stain granite and marble counters as well as a Silgranit sink. Clear silicone should be used. You can call the Blanco customer service number and get more specific instructions. But perhaps your fabricator's anthracite wasn't faded, it was just reacting to plumber's putty. Hard to know, just from the comment you relayed.

As to your color choices, I am partial to anthracite, mostly for practicality reasons. My friend has a Silgranit sink in anthracite, and it shows nothing (looks sharp too). I think there have been threads here that the white will show stains, though the stains will be easy to clean up.

What I recommend is you can call Blanco and get them to mail you sample chips of the Silgranit colors you like. Hold the color samples against your granite, and see which looks best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Press Release about Silgranit II

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy, it sounds like the metallic gray can look shinier than I realized. You're right, I don't want the sink to compete. I looked at these colors weeks ago, before I'd decided on my granite and I'm realizing that my memory faded.

Shannon, thanks! My granite is called Dynamic Blue and is from a granite yard called Cosmos. They are in many cities around the country. Ginny20 on this forum said she has seen it (or a very similar one) called Bros Blue or Splash Blue.

The fabricator said his sink was a Blanco, but it was 8-9 years old. So, it was before they were reformulated. Still waffling:)

Thanks for the chips idea. Do you know how long for them to mail the chips? I have a moderately close sample of my granite to take to the store as well, that's tomorrow.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I vote anthracite, but I might be biased since I have it. :) If the sink does fade, I think it would only blend in even more with your granite. Either way, the anthracite color, I think, would not compete with your granite.

I want to vote against white. I think it would look dirty from any tiny mess.... but maybe someone with white could comment? (is there anyone with white on here? I don't recall.) Also, I think white would contrast too much...

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lauren, I see what you're saying. A white sink would just draw the eye to it first and I'm not sure why I'd want to do that.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I forgot. You're in the PNW, aren't you? Cosmos in Fife?

I also went through Blanco to get sample chunks of their sink colors. They were very quick to send them, maybe 5 business days. Elkay, on the other hand, was ridiculous to deal with. The chips really helped me along the way.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I just noticed your comment about the metallic being shiny. It's not really. Your interpretation of shiny could be different than mine though. It has a tiny bit of sparkle, for lack of a better word. It is not sparkly though. That's not quite my style. It's fairly matte overall. Best to go a plumbing showroom that has one or get some little samples.

Did you chose yet?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

The gray would work well I think (at least on my screen). I think white is a definite no because the sharp contrast will attract attention and the white silgranit isn't attractive IMHO. The black seems like it would be too dark. HTH.

• bugbite
    12 years ago

Read the complaints about keeping the dark ones clean. Ours is white and we love it. Does not "stick out".
    Remember to use silicon when installing the stainer and not plumbers puddy (read container or call Blanco). The Kohler stainer at HD fits best (no gap around the strainer and the sink).
    Bob

• numbersjunkie
    12 years ago

I have anthracite, and I am a slob. It is not at all hard to keep clean. I've have it 6 months and love it. I think it would look great with your beautiful granite.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I chose the anthracite. I went to a showroom with my sample of granite. The gray wasn't bad but it didn't really compare. I had been considering a gray tile backlash and now I'm not so sure.

I tried to order the sink on Friday but homeandstone and qualitybath were both closed so I couldn't find out if it was in stock. I am going to get that done early tomorrow.....thanks for all your thoughts.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I chose the anthracite. I went to a showroom with my sample of granite. The gray wasn't bad but it didn't really compare. I had been considering a gray tile backlash and now I'm not so sure.

I tried to order the sink on Friday but homeandstone and qualitybath were both closed so I couldn't find out if it was in stock. I am going to get that done early tomorrow.....thanks for all your thoughts.

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

Congrats on having made the decision! And what lovely granite you have. We have a Silgranit sink in anthracite, installed almost a year. I was worried it was going to be too dark in our small kitchen with dark cherry cabinets. But it looks great! The best part is that it always looks clean, even if I know it must be dirty.

So now the question is...which sink? I myself am a single-bowl gal all the way, but I know there are plenty of double-bowl advocates too. We originally wanted the big Blanco Diamond Super Single with the offset drain in the corner, but its 33" width would not fit it in our small kitchen. We chose the next smaller Super Single, the Blanco Precis 30" wide Super Single, and are very pleased. Which sink are you getting?

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Alwaysfixin! I am trying to put my order in today. I want equal bowls or 1 and 3/4 bowls, I prefer the Diamond line as it is a little softer looking and less clinical than the Precis. Either of these sizes will be fine for me, it will come down to availability, really, at the places I call. I also doublechecked with our plumber that these deeper sinks will fit with the pipes, the disposal etc, because we had a shallow 70s doublesink.

I have never had a single bowl, and grew up with a system that I adopted at my own house: Dirty dishes go in the right sink. The left sink is always to be left open for prep, making coffee or filling a pot of water to start dinner.

We are a family of 5, with sports and other activities keeping us on the go, so I cannot always have an immaculate kitchen. For us, this method keeps the chaos down especially on busy days, until we can unload and load the dishwasher, which we always run daily and sometimes 2x a day.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered my sink today on Faucet Depot, crossing fingers in comes in reasonable time and unscathed. Wish me luck!

• EMH107
    12 years ago

Are you putting a garbage disposal in? I am nervous about getting this sink, but there are such rave reviews, that I may get one.

• colorfast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, EMH, I am putting a garbage disposal in. We did discuss this model sink with our plumber and the garbage disposal did not raise any red flags for him. He said "Inspect it REALLY well the day you get it."

Some models are on backorder, so you need to check websites to see which are in stock where. You do have to order the strainer for the non-disposal side separately. (All of the websites make you buy this separately).

Let me know what you decide.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Colorfast, I'd like to know how you feel about your granite and sinks now that it has been nearly 2 years. I saw Bros Blue granite slabs yesterday and found your "torn" and "reveal" threads - they were SO helpful! I'm slightly nervous about the lavender color in the granite - I love all shades of blue and gray but not so much burgundy/purple/red. I hope I can get a sample to bring home to see in my light and with my floors, I'm going with white cabinets so that part should be fine. Did you ever do a backsplash and can you share details?