Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barlowmom_gw

Ikea 2015 catalog still has Akurum cabinets - is Metod coming?

barlowmom
9 years ago

Does anyone know if this means Metod isn't being introduced in 2015?

Comments (17)

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

IKEA kitchens used to be made in Europe, the boxes were German and the cabinet doors varied, I had a line that was from Spain. This caused some issues because US and European appliances are not the same size.

The current iteration sold in the US have US made boxes, and I don't recall if the doors are US made, too, but are not the same as the European kitchens. These are made to fit around US appliances.

It is possible they have no intention of making a US version of Metod. Or, it is possible they will. The sales people may not be told more than the general public, so don't assume that they know anything. Be aware that just because the catalog is published it does not guarantee that the items will be available all year.

So the answer is, nobody really knows.

• lee676
    9 years ago

What I heard awhile back was that Ikea did want to bring Metod cabinets to the US, but they recall the difficulty they had selling metric-sized cabinets 15 years ago because some American appliances wouldn't fit. Nowadays with a more internationalized appliance market (LG, Samsung, Bosch, Electrolux, etc), many more appliances sold in the US will fit into metric cabinets (i.e. many supposedly 24" appliances are really 60cm). Ikea's own line of appliances is made by Whirlpool and are mostly an exception, still sized in inches, but Ikea could probably goad Whirlpool into metric sizes in order to keep their exclusive appliance contract. Another alternative is to make a US-only version of Metod sized in inches as they do now, but that increases their cost from using the same cabinets they sell everywhere else.

So what exactly are the improvements in Metod over Akurum/Faktum?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

The US version is called Sektion, not Metod, just as in the current line it's Akurum in the US and Faktum elsewhere.

If you search over at ikeafans you will see that Sektion is due early next year.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Info at Semihandmade below. They say the new kitchen line will be introduced early next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on new IKEA kitchens

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I'm trying to hold out for ikea's new line, for a rental kitchen re-do, so I hope it happens in 2015.

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

"So what exactly are the improvements in Metod over Akurum/Faktum?"

The new line is way more customizable. It's built on modules that can be fit together in many more ways than the old system. A friend who works high up at IKEA has seen it and was impressed. He said there are a lot more things you can do with the interior of the cabinets, like drawers within drawers and stuff. It sounded good for people who like to be very organized.

• rgillman
    9 years ago

I just ordered my IKEA cabinets - AKURUM high gloss white, for my part-time Florida apartment. Pricier than I had anticipated but, oh well. I got the 20% discount.

Renovating in Feb 2015 but wasn't going to wait for potential new cabinet line that will be out who knows when and no doubt be pricier. I have a tiny kitchen in this apt but am excited!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I've read that they are using less material for the boxes and the Ikea fronts are going to melamine instead of wood and melamine options. It's supposed to be more customizable, as well.

Here's the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Observations

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

Oh, one other thing--you know how there is a single column of holes down the front of the inner sides of each cabinet? If you want to connect two cabinets together, you use up some of these holes for those connectors. The hinges use a few more. That limits your shelf positions. The new cabinets will have two rows of holes so that you can position shelves wherever you want them. That's what i've heard, anyway.

• lee676
    9 years ago

That's nice! I just had a contractor install Akurum cabinets and put inter-cabinet fasteners in the holes where the hinges need to go, which then had to be removed, and it was difficult to reinsert them elsewhere. I wonder if the roll-out drawers will still be designed so they have to go between hinges, which limits where you can place them in tall pantry cabinets. Some other cabinets I've used have roll-out drawers that don't quite reach the hinged side and have a spacer, so you can put them anywhere. You lose a small amount of width in each drawer though.

The Metod cabinets have replaced the light woodgrain box color option with dark brown-black; wonder if that will be offered in the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Metod intro video

• lee676
    9 years ago

As to whether the 2015 still showing Akurum means we won't get the new design for another year, it's worth noting the British Ikea 2014 catalog showed the old cabinets, but the new ones were introduced only half a year later in February. There was a 4-month overlap period where they sold both types. So I assume the same will happen here. The Semihandmade site says the new ones will arrive in late January to early February 2015.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Here's a link to the doors in the UK catalog. Looks like they don't have Ramsjo and the Adel wood doors anymore (but a new oak door). However, it looks like the German, French, and Italian IKEA still has the dark and light Romsjo (Laxarby) and also a new ash wood kitchen in white (Rasdal).

Rasdal

New Oak

Nodsta, with aluminum integrated handles

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA UK door styles

• lee676
    9 years ago

They may vary available doors by country. The Adel doors are their most popular in the US, so they may want to keep something like it.

Makes me hope even more that they retain metric sizes for the US. That would mean if you liked a door style sold only overseas, a grey-market importer (or eBay seller) could sent them here.

• rachelhoolachan1
    9 years ago

the new system is available on June 1st

• User
    9 years ago

rachelhoolachan, Sektion is the new system and has been available since Feb. 2nd in the US and Canada.