Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Have pic of a Shaws farm sink NOT bumped out much?

theresse
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to tackle this latest of the latest sink issues re. our faucet reaching into the sink only 1/3 of the way from the back of the sink. It's a bigger issue for us because the faucet we have has more reach as it is, than any other traditional looking faucet on the market as far as I know (I prefer the period look for this kitchen). So should it need to be replaced w/ something else in the future, the future faucet may only be 2" from the back!

This means having to most likely set the Shaws 30" farm sink back at least an inch, which means losing some of that curvature in the front corners and having to deal w/ that creatively in terms of wood work, etc. Mainly, I'm concerned it will just look odd and not the way those Shaws sinks are "supposed" to look. I've been considering protruding a box out of the backsplash to push the faucet out more but I don't think it will work w/ my kitchen, unfortunately.

Luckily, our cabinets - which are presently only boxes and will soon have faces added - will have inset doors (recessed doors). So that saves *some* space. I wonder if I could go back even an inch - if that would help? The rounded edges are protruding about 2" now - maybe a smidgeon over that.

Grazie!

Here's a pic of the faucet, to give you an idea...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic showing how our faucet doesn't reach in far...

Comments (15)

• User
    13 years ago

I have a 36" Shaw's sink. My sink isn't bumped out, my faucet doesn't extend very far over the sink and it's been just fine for 6 years. My sink is 16" across and the faucet extends about 6" into the sink.

I don't think there is a way those Shaw's sinks are "supposed" to look.. I think it's more function over form. If the water runs into your sink and does what you need it to do, then it would seem to be in the right place.

Good luck with your remodel and enjoy your new kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaw's Sink

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

So should it need to be replaced w/ something else in the future, the future faucet may only be 2" from the back!

That really shouldn't be a problem. For instance, Chicago Faucet has spouts available in lengths from 5 to 15 inches. The neat thing about a lot of the commercial level faucets is that you can 'design' them to fit your situation re spout style/ length. You select the faucet body & then adapt it to your needs by selecting from the different options for spouts, handles, etc.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

My sink is a London Porcher, not Shaw's. Below is a pic of it installed but the faucet not up. The bump out is flush with the countertop overhang...a little more than an inch.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• willis13
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry at all about a future faucet, something will be available that will work. Make this work for you, now.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm writing this late at night and can barely keep my eyes open but just wanted to say thank you so much everyone for helping me out here!

My contractor set the sink back an inch (*for now* haha). It's amazing what a difference 1" makes to our backs and also w/ regard to splashing. Weird. But after the faces go on (face frames?) - which are ready to be put in tomorrow and which I've been playing w/ earlier this evening - the sink will truly be flush, except for about 1/4" which will be all there will be left available for an overhang unless I'm willing to have the countertop edge by the sink be more prominent than the sink which would be odd. Only 1/4" overhang?! Would it even serve any purpose?!

I saw a pic of under-sink cabs recessed so the sink could bump out more...and then the cabs on either side were not recessed. I wonder if that would work in my setup. Hmmm...just more to think about I guess.

I have so much more to say... I want to address what each of you wrote and to comment on your links and everything but I feel like I'm going to fall flat on my face. Remind me never to have a kitchen remodeled, ever again. Please. There are too many decisions to be made! And clearly, I'm not the type of person who can just "let it all go" and hope it turns out fine. The little things matter to me which I just hate about myself. I remember my grandmother used to be that way - so petty and anal and meticulous and just...petty. And I'm turning into her!!! I know it will all turn out just fine but I believe in my bones it will only be fine after I've put thought into everything! And then once done, I'll be totally normal again. I think I'm also this way from past experience (when you trust someone else to figure it out for you, you regret it). Ok enough ranting for now.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Wow - I actually mean that!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Under-sink cabs seem recessed here?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Great decision you made. Function and the health of your back are more important than the looks...and let me tell you, it is still going to look great. I also wish there was more of a bump out but to be honest, the wall mount faucets is such a scene stealer, n o one will notice.

Hope you got some much needed rest.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

p.s. momj47 - I love your sink and thank you so much for the help/inspiration! I'd remembered it and found it after searching, before seeing you replied to this and the other thread.

How far over is your overhang?

Sabjimata - Beautiful! Thank you also for the link. Yours is bumped out though, but I see how the counter being right up front looks nice, thank you!

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How funny Sabjimata (Sabrina?!)...you and I were both writing at the exact time last night so we missed each other. Thanks for the positive feedback about that decision. I never thought of the wall-mounted faucets being a scene stealer but you know something I think you've got a point! ;)

Well HOLY COW WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT - we needed to move the sink forward again, a half-inch! Hahaha what a dumb a&% I am. I guess it's a compromise of a compromise. The 1" back was in theory such a good idea - and I didn't mind it being flush - but the cab faces/doors below the sink actually protruded more than the sink when I held them up against the box edges tightly (maybe because the sink is hand made). And there's no way I want water dripping onto the top of the doors so my GC and I talked this morning and decided to scoot it forward (again) a half-inch. So it'll be almost flush but should stick out maybe a half-inch or 3/4" after doors are on (so, barely noticeable). I'm telling myself that 1/2" further of faucet reach will make a difference but I'm probably fooling myself! However, that's okay. Further is further. Or is it farther is farther. I can't remember.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ci lantro - because I'm doing a period kitchen and because I really like the look of a gooseneck faucet for my space, I'd like to stick with that style for the unforeseeable future. The Chicago faucets' goosenecks only go up to 8". The only kinds of faucets that stick out beyond that are the straight kind that while not looking bad, are just not my cup of tea for my particular kitchen. They look much more like a laundry room faucet to me (or at least, we had one like that when I was growing up) and just not gentle and curving enough for my tastes. That leaves only the articulating double-swiveling kind which is alright, but just not the classic gooseneck I like so much. So, there's - I'm pretty sure - no other gooseneck faucet that reaches out so far into the sink as the one I have (that's wall-mounted anyway). Thank you for the link! I had fun looking through the faucets!

Willis13 - same as what I said to ci lantro above...except that in the end I agree that SOMETHING would work out, for sure, should I need another faucet in the future. In the grand scheme of things this truly is not even a little important!! ;)

• tresgirls
    13 years ago

Theresse - Would you mind telling me where you bought your faucet? I'm going to be buying two Jaclo pull-off style faucets, and our local store would charge me full retail, which is outrageously expensive. I found some for a (relatively) good price online, but I haven't seen anything on here about that particular online store - Kitchen Bath Plus.

Thanks!

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tresgirls - I got it locally at a store called Chown Hardware in Portland, OR. They're a high-end store but surprised me by selling it for less than anyone else would. Now the problem - trying to remember how much! I know that I'd gotten it down to $1250 polished or $1150 brushed, but then my contractor who as far as I know wasn't supposed to be able to get it down lower, got it down to something like $1175 or therabouts? I need to get the receipt from him either way so I'll remind him about that (and ask about the price, if he remembers). It's still expensive, but the polished ones are usually around $1400.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chown Hardware

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Forgive the late question, but what are you doing for the backsplash? Whatever its thickness, the faucet will be brought out by that amount; you don't embed faucet escutcheons in the backsplash material. I'd recommend a full-thickness slab of stone, like 1 1/4" or 3cm; there's your extra reach right there.
    Casey

• tresgirls
    13 years ago

Theresse - Thanks for the info. I couldn't find the Jaclo faucets on Chown's website, but I bet if I called them they would give me a price. Kitchen Bath Plus sells the polished faucet for $1,196, so I should probably just go with them. I just wish I knew someone who had some experience with them. BTW, how do you like your polished faucet?

• bayareafrancy
    13 years ago

Theresse, I think you are missing the easiest solution of all! Don't ever hand wash dishes!! There! Problem solved. My bill will be in the mail....

;-P

I had a similar problem, and played with the bump out for about a week, trying to get all those variables right: back comfort (since no toe kick with vintage cabinets), spout reach, counter corners resting on the lip in a way that looked pleasing to my eye. My cabinet guy thought I was an OCD loon! (Which I am, but that is between me and my doctor. Not my cabinetmaker.)

I have the chicago faucet with the 12" double hinged spout. It wasn't my favorite spout, but the length was right. Actually, if I remove the extender piece, the straight part that only reaches 8 or 9 inches was the most period appropriate. That is the style one sees the most on the original kitchens in "Bungalow Kitchens" (I assume you have that kitchen bible!). We also have one of those (1929 original) in our garage. But those are paired with the traditional tiled-in sink, the back of which goes all the way to the backsplash. They are way too short for farm sinks. So I went with the 12 incher. I love that it reaches the edge of my drain. My previous faucet couldn't be directed right into the drain due to misalignment, and it always bugged me. But the gooseneck sure is prettier!

These Shaw's sinks are a marriage of compromise. Think of the sink like a husband. So his faucet length isn't as long as you'd like. Is it a dealbreaker? Nah! The important thing is to go into the relationship with your eyes open.

• frenchkitty
    13 years ago

Hi, I don't know how to explain, just show how we mounted our
    faucet. We did not bump out our cabinets. If this helps, then, Yeah! If not, hi, how are you? They say a picture is
    worth a thousand words....