Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

I *might* just be in love ! :-)

flatcoat2004
15 years ago

My Julia is installed !

It's so much more beautiful than the photos, so many wonderful deep rich greens ... and I can't stop touching it ! so silky and delectable. I haven't even oiled it all yet.

I have running water ! My oven is installed (no gas yet but can use the oven), my dishwasher is connected, and my freezer is making ice ! My bathroom is grouted and sealed, my shower plumbing is fixed and functional !

Backsplash tomorrow, plus doors, gas lines and water heater ! Onward and upward !

Holy toledo. I think I love my new contractor too. :-)

(Uhm, please excuse the mess, y'all have been there, right ?)

Comments (25)

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Want more pics! Ummm, thought I wanted Onyx in my Master bathroom, but that Soapstone, lots of greens you say...?

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Oh my San Francisco former-neighbor flatcoat -- I am so grateful to see you back here (online) and that you've found a GC and are moving forward. I was really worried about you ....

Your kitchen looks wonderful!

Yes please, more pictures.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Flatcoat -- That's some beautiful stone. Congratulations.

What's your backsplash going to be? I'm currenting anguishing over a backsplash to go with my similarly colored Beleza soapstone. I want to highlight the green but everything seems either too bland or too green. I look forward to seeing more of your kitchen.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Uh, dumb question, but is Julia the name of the soapstone or is that your own name for your own soapstone?

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Nice, nice, nice!

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

That is beautiful!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think that is very pretty too. I would love it if it were available in KC. I, too, wonder what your backsplash is and would also like to see a lot more pictures!

• minac
    15 years ago

I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. Has your dog gotten jealous about all the attention you are lavishing on Julia?

• flatcoat2004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THE DISHWASHER ! IT WORKS ! MUAH - HAH -HAH - HAH - HAH ! (runs around in small circle cackling wildly to herself).

Gah, this is the first time this poor 100 year old house has had a dishwasher that didn't have a pulse. Red-letter day.

I scared myself by pushing the airswitch AND THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL CAME ON ! Is this really how life is supposed to be ?

Tee hee, forgive my glee.

Thank you everyone. Yes it is Julia soapstone from MTex, and unfortunately no more photos for now (and honestly the kitchen, all 11'x14' of it, is mostly captured in the above photos ! :-) Although bluekit, I like the idea of calling her Julia. "Julia, my precious", I shall mumble, as I lovingly oil her ...

This is the tile for my backsplash ...

although my new guy arranged it in a random pattern which I liked better. The wall colour is about the same as the darker yellow tile, so I think (hope ?) it will be a soothing, slightly interesting backsplash. The star is definitely the soapstone, and it's my favourite kind of star. I love things that look plain from a distance, but reveal beauty and complexity when you look closer, like anaglypta. This is just right. I hope :-)

I promise more pics as it develops.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

WOW! You're Julia sure is perty! There is something really special about soapstone. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• ssjm
    15 years ago

That is a gorgeous color, I love it!!

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I think that's the prettiest soapstone I've ever seen!!!

• jujybean
    15 years ago

Your back splash is so cool. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is finished.

• rgillman
    15 years ago

After everything you've gone through with this renovation, it is so wonderful to hear the joy in your "voice." YAY - it's about time!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

That is indeed some gorgeous stone. Can't wait to see the tiles installed.

That pup's pretty cute, too!

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Please give more details about your backsplash! I think it will look great with your beautiful soapstone!

• jakkom
    15 years ago

That is the nicest soapstone I've ever seen. Truly gorgeous, and I think your backsplash will be lovely with it. Can't wait for the photos when it's installed!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I love it! I haven't seen soap stone with so much pattern...it's fab!!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Isn't it an awesome feeling when you finally get your kitchen "back?" Congrats on a gorgeous kitchen. When do you take it for a test spin?

• imrainey
    15 years ago

Lovely!

I've had my Julia for about a year and I just love it. I used slate as my backsplash. It has just a hint of grey-green and I added dark bullets to echo the counter.

I admire that you could get the green and the veins in your pic. I never can but my stone is a deep British racing green that works wonderfully with the other elements in my kitchen. It was also a complete surprise because when I picked the stone out in the stoneyard it was grey that didn't give the vaguest hint what would emerge when it was oiled.

• flatcoat2004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kitchen is getting closer to completion. My backsplash went in over a couple days, and it's a little ... flashier ? ... than I was expecting. But I think I am liking it more and more. It's actually less "contrasty" in real life than it shows in the pictures ...

I like my cabinet handles a lot.

And most importantly ... the kitchen works ! I made ACTUAL FOOD for my own dinner last night. It was weird remembering how to use more than one burner and appliance at a time. I went wild, using burners, the grill for some corn, and the microwave. What can I say, I'm crazy.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Whooo Hoooo! Congrats on being able to cook. Backsplash looks great. Very different. Creative! Dinner looks good too. When do we eat?

• janefan
    15 years ago

Your backsplash looks stunning!!! I love it!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

That is gorgeous. Yeah it's a little flashy but in a completely awesome way!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Oooh, I really dig the backsplash. Reminds me of Russel Wright American Modern dinnerware colors:

Gorgeous!