Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camp9

Cabinet price ranges for small kitchen

camp9
9 years ago

Looking for help with rough price estimates for a kitchen remodel. This is a very small space, the open floor area is about 4' x 8' - see attached picture for the layout.

I have a price estimate for Cabico semi-custom (cabinets only) that comes it at $12,000. Seems like a very high price for such a small space.

Can anyone provide some numbers to compare?

This post was edited by camp9 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:53

Comments (15)

• mdln
    9 years ago

Agree! I put 14 Shiloh painted inset cabinets (all drawer bases [except for2], a trash base, two 60'' uppers, and modified cab above fridge) in an 8x12 galley kitchen for ~9K. Shiloh reviews on GW are excellent.

Can't see your layout.

• camp9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the details. I reposted the kitchen design image. Should be visible now.

• DeeV78
    9 years ago

I have a 10'x10' kitchen and purchased Medallion cabinets for $10K total including roll out trays on all base cabinets, plenty of drawers, super susan corner cabinet, matching drawer fronts, matching side finish, and 18" pantry cabinet. Also includes crown molding all around and light rail molding. I chose their silver line of cabinets which is base, and divinity white finish (creamy white; identical to BM Dove a White). They get delivered this week (can't wait). Attached is the floor plan.

Not sure how Shiloh compares to Medallion; sorry. I didn't opt for full plywood construction. Based on conversations with various kitchen designers, I decided it wasn't worth the buy-up cost.

This post was edited by DeeV78 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 22:23

• User
    9 years ago

I agree that seems high. I priced Cabico Espresso (and really liked them) - for my 7.5x14ft galley kitchen it was under $9k for the cabinets. There were some extras still to be added in, and I didn't have any corner cabinets. But I think it was probably more cabinets in total as compared to your layout. (Coincidentally I also had a stretch of reduced depth base cabinets similar to yours above and the KD made a point to say that there was no upcharge for those sorts of modifications.)

We wound up working with a different contractor, who used a different cabinet shop and line (sadly, not a frameless one). When I comparison shopped the Cabico quote, the Innermost line at HD came in around the same price (thanks to a big sale month, although I think those are to some extent perennial.)

Fwiw, I really liked the Cabico products, but I couldn't find a lot of feedback here on their semi-custom cabinets, other than a few complaints about the hardware which may or may not be dated.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Your design looks like an efficient use of cabinets (to my untrained eye). You don't have a lot of small cabinets which can increase the price.

Suggest checking out different cabinet lines and different KD's. I know many on GW are very anti-bigbox stores, but I was able to get much more transparent pricing there - which heped me figure out what I really wanted.

Medallion was my second choice, got a $6500 quote @ Menards during a sale for my exact same layout (albiet stained, non-inset doors).

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Our kitchen is approximately 15 x 11. We used Barker Cabinets and for 18 cabinets it was $10,500. That price included all lower drawers (which are pricier that regular cabinets), a 30" wide floor - ceiling pantry with roll outs, 2 lazy Susan corner cabinets w/lazy susan, all crown, end panels, trim.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 7:39

• mightymaxwestie
    9 years ago

I don't want to hijack the post, but when you receive your cabinets, DeeV78, I would LOVE to see them and get your quality feedback! We are looking at something very similar (same color even) at Menards (debating between Schrock and Medallion).....also getting a quote from a local person that did our previous kitchen and another cabinet shop as well but I'm expecting them to both be higher than the Menard's price. We've only done custom cabinets in our houses we lived in so far so I'm a little hesitant about ordering from them. Thanks so much!!

• camp9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I like the designer and company we are working with now, but it looks like competitive price quotes will be necessary.

As noted earlier, pricing transparency is not a strong point for many custom shops.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

On the high average end for a mid grade semi custom line, but low for a fully custom line. Depends on a lot more details than you've shared here, such as door style, method of construction, and internal additives.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

We just received a $16,400 quote from a custom cabinet company for cabinets in a G shaped layout, including install.

We have one 10 ft refrigerator/pantry full wall, one 9 ft wall of uppers and lowers with an opening for a 36" range, one 6 ft wall of uppers and lowers including 2 lower lazy susans, and one 9 foot peninsula with a trash pullout, farm sink and dishwasher opening. The cabinets would be plywood construction, frameless, soft close, dovetailed drawers, paint ready maple frame with mdf panel, painted finish in a less expensive modified Shaker style. When I priced the same layout at Barkers with all the pullouts, crown molding and end panels, the price was very close to the custom cabinet quote.

The quote to change the layout and switch to an island instead of a peninsula, add a 54" hood, and extend the cabinetry into the eat in part of the kitchen with a large beverage center was approximately $25-26k.

• camp9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, many more details to consider. I just wanted to get a ballpark estimate.

With a base price of $12k for just cabinets (they offered another $5k+ in various options), then the full cost with appliances, countertops, sink, construction, finish work, etc. will be way outside of budget.

Thanks again for all the replies, now I need to read more GW archives to get smarter on this topic.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Also depends on whether it includes installation - even then it sounds high.

My son and DIL got Innermost cabinets for a 9 x 4 island and about 7' along a wall (they were keeping the kitchen sink run of cabinets but putting some cabinets on one wall of the dining area).

Frameless, maple with a stain

1 full depth over fridge cabinet
    1 panel to enclose fridge area.
    1 garbage pull out
    6 base cabinets with drawers (one with top drawer modified for cooktop clearance)
    1 base cabinet with 3 pull outs
    1 base cabinet to hold under counter oven
    2 uppers
    1 floor to ceiling pantry cabinet with pullouts for the lower sections.
    Plus odds and ends like some simple molding and a panel for the end of the island

That came to around 7K from Home Depot. (There was a sale running at the time which gave them some discount and a free garbage pull out.) I think HD installation would have been another 2-3K but their GC had someone who did it for less than that.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

We got a quote for the Cabico Espresso for a kitchen similar to yours for about $7k. I'll try to find it later so I can tell you exactly what it was and what we would have gotten for it.

I did a lot of reading here and elsewhere and found mixed reviews of Cabico. We ended up going Barker instead. I felt like I was getting better quality for the money. Our final total was $9k, but we ended up moving from maple to cherry and adding a lot that wasn't in the original design ( like the servo motorized trash, roll out trays, 27" deep pantry/ fridge, and a combination of 13" and 15" uppers.)

For our $9 k, we have a 30" base, 18" drawer, 24" base with roll out trays, garbage base, 30" sink with tip out tray, 48" blind corner base, custom sized super Susan, 3-35" x 42" uppers, 30" above range, 30" x42" blind corner upper, 20" x 42" upper, pantry with roll out trays, and fridge enclosure. So that's 7 base, 6 uppers, pantry, and fridge with toe kick covers, crown moldings, an three sets of 3" filters chosen to be used as spice/ peg board space.

I hope that is helpful.

• Mousun
    9 years ago

We have a very, very similar sized kitchen (100"x139") and somewhat similar layout, especially on the sink wall. Yeah for small kitchens! Our cabinet costs are at $1100 for all the lower particle board base cabinets, metal drawers, hardware, and mostly actual wood door fronts and drawer fronts. That's from ikea. That does not include trim, fridge enclosure, or the shelves and two odd-sized cabinets I'm building or the old uppers we're refinishing. But the cabinet total is unlikely to exceed $1500, excluding the costs of our time and hassle, and the real possibility we'll redo the kitchen again if we stay here more than a dozen years.

I would assume you are looking for a higher-end solution (and if it made sense for us, yeah, I would love some wooden drawer boxes, inset doors, etc.) But perhaps that cost comparison will help someone reading this.

• DeeV78
    9 years ago

Mightywax, check out my pits titled "My Medallion cabinets" for update on my cabinets