Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcmurphy1_gw

Rough granite countertops

mcmurphy1
12 years ago

Today I had granite countertops installed in my kitchen (Jonquil, sometimes called Starbeach). Everything is beautiful, but the surface is rough when you run your hand over it. There are flecks of mica throughout, and most of the roughness seems to be over the flecks. The installer told me this is normal with some types of granite, but I don't think I buy this. The contractor and the granite salesman are coming out tomorrow to look at this. Any thoughts or suggestions as to remedies I should request? Thanks

Comments (10)

• Suzy
    12 years ago

some of the more exotic stones, those with a lot of mica, do tend to be rougher. we have bianco antico and it's not smooth like glass.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Normal. It's a natural material, not manmade.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hello, Our granite also has some rough spots, that we were told was normal, from both the fabricator and the salesman.

Oh well...We still LOVE it.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Same issue here. I'm fighting it with the granite fabricator but its a unique stone and maybe i'm stuck. I'm willing to pay someone else to come in with penetrating epoxy (azstone guy recommended) and fix it.

Since everyone loves pictures here are a few:

overall

here is examples of worst one. Its a black depression and feels like tar to the touch and you can scrap it out with your fingernail:

also a fissure (NOT CRACK! don't say CRACK!) that is rough to the touch:

i have another fabricator guy coming out tomorrow. Getting my armour in place.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Sophie here again. Search on azstone for his comments. Very helpful.

Here is what i had posted:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg072036136313.html

no resolution yet.

Stay strong!

• houseful
    12 years ago

My Santa Cecelia is the same way. The dishcloth will catch slightly on some. It doesn't really bother me. However, the NVG in my master bath is smooth as glass. Different fabricator from 6 years ago.

I actually have fairly large pits in the SC. My fabricator told me that you can fill them, but they will fall out again eventually. I have a few chips around my sink too, so someday I will have everything fixed at once.

• mcmurphy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I met with the granite salesman yesterday...not surprisingly he thinks is it the stone I picked, but claims to have installed 5 other Jonquils lately and did not hear from the customers about similar problems. He plans to consult with the "expert" in his shop and get back with me. Says they cannot hand polish the whole thing because it would be too labor intensive (and require removing everything). I think i will have him set up a time for me to view another Jonquil he installed for comparison. The are very, very beautiful, however, and the seam is almost invisible.

• natal
    12 years ago

I have New Venetian Gold on the hutch and it's the same way. I'm glad I chose quartz for the working countertops.

• ammoore
    12 years ago

Even Ablolute Black won't be glass smooth. My desk is AB and while it is still shiny it's far from a mirror finish. :)

In order to truely appreciate natural stone homeowners have to understand it's characteristics. It has it's limitations. One person's idea of smooth may not be the same as the next person.