Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

I Can't Believe It....We're There...!

Buehl
15 years ago

With the exception of a couple of items on special order, our Kitchen is DONE (from the KD & Contractor's POV)!!!!

Thursday evening I got the go-ahead to start putting dishes, etc. away...and guess what I was up all night that night doing (I do mean ALL night!)

I had to redo my storage plan, but I did that and now I've got my flatware, utensils (cooking & prep), pots & pans, dishes, and some other things put away.

[I started to bring the stuff in from the PODS but I discovered bugs in the wrappings...so now I have to go through each box/bag b/f I bring the stuff inside. It's going to take a little longer, but I hate bugs in my house!]

What's left?

• Plugmold...one outlet doesn't work and it's a special-order item

• Decorative Door Panels for the ends of my peninsula...custom size, so also special-order

Now, it's our turn....

• Pantry...we have to paint and put up shelves (SharB, if you're still around, I may have questions since your pantry is my model!)

• Paint...I'll be posting swaths of paint for your opinions soon

• Hardwood floor in DR...I almost have my DH convinced to go with 3/4" hardwood rather than Engineered/Veneer

• New carpet in FR...our carpet is an example why you should not have carpet in the kitchen (FR was temporary kitchen for almost 6 months!)

• Order & Install...

• Tray Dividers
    • Drawer Dividers (for utensil drawers--prep, cook, gluten-free tools)
    • Cushy Cupboards
    • Trash Can under prep sink
    • Register Covers
    • NeverMT
    • Tapmaster for prep sink

We hosted a last-minute 4th of July Party and everyone ooed & ahed....very gratifying!

Pictures soon!

Comments (36)

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

Very exciting!!! Congrats!

We had people over for the 4th and I kept thinking that next year we will have a new kitchen- it's such an exciting change.

Can't wait to see pictures!!!!

• alku05
    15 years ago

Woohoo!!!! All we have left to do for ours is finish staining and mount the two corbels that go under our bar cabinet. Somehow, I've been meaning to do that since march...Hopefully you're faster than me!

On the tray dividers: Are you planning on using RAS wire ones? If you need the 12" size, the cheapest place to get them is Lowes (trust me, I looked EVERYWHERE online and otherwise). You'll still need to order 18" ones online, and you'll find that shipping adds up....sure do wish Lowes had that size too. And we don't even have a Lowes! But they have $5 shipping for any size order compared to $10-20 everywhere else.

• cambro5
    15 years ago

Congratulations, buehl! Can't wait to see the pictures!

• neesie
    15 years ago

Well theres a name I've seen posted a million times. You're done, eh? Good for you! That must be what all those fireworks were about last night! Can't wait to see the pictures.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I am so happy for you buel. When I was new to the site you always posted a follow up to my questions and I appreciate that. Can't wait for pictures and all details. I can't wait for it to be my turn it must be a great feeling. CONGRADULATIONS!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Well, here's a ditto (with lots of exclamation points and smileys )on all the congratulations and expressions of good cheer for ya, Buehl! Of course, I'm also joining the "can't wait to the pictures" chorus. You go!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Congratulations! What a wonderful way to celebrate July 4 -- freedom from a temp kitchen!

Fwiw, and I hesitate to suggest the less expensive alternative when your kitchen is first class all the way, both Target and BB&B carry a Cushy Cupboards knockoff for $1/linear foot made by the same company ($5/5' at Target and $10/10' at BB&B). I was very anxious to get everything put away and I'm sure you are feeling the same itch!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Congratulations!!!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Yay for you!!!

• aliceinmd
    15 years ago

Congratulations! The end of your kitchen, at least your having to deal with contractors, has been a long time coming. I'm looking forward to the pictures!

• reneeharris1
    15 years ago

Congratulations!

I hope you'll show pictures of inside cupboards and drawers and motivate those of us who are close behind you and need an 'organizing nudge'!! :-)

• rosie
    15 years ago

That's terrific. That putting away in a new kitchen is so satisfying. Congratulations and much happy cooking.

• holligator
    15 years ago

Woohoooo!!! Congratulations!!!

What a great feeling it must be after all you've gone through. Little things like organizing utensil drawers and even cleaning the kitchen will never be as much fun as they are right now. Even six months after our completion, I still love keeping things organized and spotless. I thought that the excitement would fade by now, but it really hasn't.

Good luck on getting those finishing touches done. I still haven't even picked out my backsplash or new kitchen table. :)

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Fantastic! I can't wait to get to that point myself!! (Heck, I can't wait to get to the point where I've actually ordered the cabinets...)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I am so excited for you! I want to second bluekitobsessed about the Cushy Cupboards substitute -- having both, I think the Target / BBB versions are just as good and definitely a fraction of the cost. I was anxious to get things put away so that's why I tried them. Great!

I'll be keeping my eye out for your pictures .... I really am so happy for you, buehl.

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

Yay! The fun part is here for you (except for painting). I ended up having a $300 shopping spree for new drawer organizers, microfiber cloths, etc, etc. at the end of the remodel. (Oh, how those $2.99 items add up!) I also have the less expensive drawer liners from Target and I love them. I totally re-organized my new kitchen due to the new drawers, etc, and two months later I still go to the wrong drawer for silverware! (I blame that on how the kitchen renov stress ate away many of my brain synapses, LOL). Buehl, I didn't realize that you have a family member on a gluten-free diet. My oldest daughter has a host of serious food-allergies, too. I am eagerly awaiting more pics from you. Enjoy!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Take a deserving bow buehl...
    and then hurry up and post all the pictures!

• User
    15 years ago

So many poster names are familiar but I do get a bit hazy. Now I believe I remember -- you were the one with the really really insanely long and problematic journey.
    I am so happy for you- enjoy it enjoy it enjoy it!
    Sheila

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

WOW, Buehl!!! That's great! LOL about staying up all night to organize and put away. I see myself doing the same. Enjoy your new kitchen, you definitely deserve it!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

It's such a good feeling to be able to put dishes, pots, pans, and everything back!! Enjoy your new kitchen!!

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

oh! Congrats! You must be beyond thrilled!

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Hurray! Wahooo! Happy for you, and can't wait to see the photos. I've loved the sneak peeks we've had and join in the chorus: PHOTOS please!

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Congrats, Buehl. You have been so helpful to me with ALL my questions. I can't wait to see your finished, (what I know will be BEAUTIFUL) kitchen.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! Sorry I haven't responded earlier...my parents are visiting and I've been busy washing glasses and continuing to unpack & wash everything else!

Alku...I do want mostly 12" ones...so I'll check out Lowes. I wonder if they have them in the store...I'll have to check since we have a couple not too far away. BTW...I was at Wal-Mart today (the ONLY store out here in the "boonies") and bought a cheap-o tray divider and it works great under the prep sink for cutting boards...I think I'll keep it and just get the "good" ones for the tray cab over the ovens.

BlueKitObsessed...I'm not proud, I'll try the ones from Target (I need to save $$ anywhere I can right now!) If they work, great; if not, well I won't be out that much $$ (now I have to find time to make a trip to Target...what the heck, it's only about 40 mins away...and a great excuse to go!)

I haven't taken pictures b/c the kitchen has been somewhat of a mess...glasses and other stuff waiting to be washed b/f I put them away, "left over" brownies and other goodies on the counter, etc. I.e., a lived-in and working kitchen!

When I post, I'll also remember the "insides"....I remember how wonderfully useful those pics were to me while I was pondering what cabinets to order and how to organize everything!

OOps! My brother and his SO are here...gotta go!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Buehl - SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

....sigh, waiting anxiously to see those pictures!!!

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Another poster so happy for you! You've earned every proud and joyous moment. When you're ready to post the photos, you have a big audience waiting to applaud the end of your journey.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

SO happy for you! I really appreciated all your posts outlining your ups and downs of kitchen renovation. You really taught me a lot. My demo starts this week! I'll post my progress. Can't wait!

Barb

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

congratulations, but what a tease!!! i want pics NOW!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I'm so happy and excited for you Buehl! Wish I was clever like Neesie (love that fireworks comment), and could articulate better, but I think you know that I've shared your pain, and I much prefer sharing your happiness! :>)

Yup, I love those shots exposing the innards- far more satisfying to the voyeur in me!!!

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

After spending the entire wknd packing away my old kitchen and thinking about having to UNpack it at the other end, I sigh with envy at your finished kitchen and unpacked boxes... I echo the thoughts of other posters who have said that your feedback is always so helpful - can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

Congrats!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No pics yet...sorry! I still have several boxes of Tupperware and assorted other items to wash & put away. Plus, I have guests visiting and while I love having them, they're not exactly neat freaks so my kitchen seems to be in a constant state of clutter w/their things...on top of the Tupperware, etc.!

But, thanks for all the compliments--you really make me feel so good! (and I will try to get pics this weekend...I know, it's only Tuesday!)

Deedee-2008, the person on a gluten-free diet is me! I have Celiac Disease. It's been 18 months or so since I was diagnosed and I'm finally used to not eating bread, etc. Interestingly, when I would "cheat" I discovered most things didn't taste as good as I remembered them...so I no longer cheat and am very careful when we eat out...I try to frequent the places w/gluten-free menus the most. Sure, it's a little limiting, but it sure beats being ill! (Traveling is the toughest!)

Thanks again everyone!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures!

I understand what you are going through. I have spent the entire 4th of July weekend (from 2 am until 9:30 at night) putting things back in my pantry and cupboards as well. UGH! Definately dish pan hands!

I am so excited for you! Congrats again! Whooo Hooooo!

• alice462
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see the pics! We are just at the beginning of the process and I hope that this time next year I am jumping with as much joy as you are!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update....

They are at our house today installing the decorative door panels on the ends of the peninsulas (& patching the hole behind the PR mirror they made taking the old medicine cabinet out). Another step toward the end! My DH (at home today) says they look great.

[These are 2 of the panels that I had originally eliminated due to budget but am now getting for free...the granite folks irreparably damaged one of my peninsula cabs and when the replacement came it had two "blobs" of glaze on the end (the only issues we've had w/finish, btw. Our KD said that rather than reorder the cabinet they would purchase & install the end panels on both peninsulas so they could move the Project forward! We may eventually put them on the back of the peninsula as well, but not now.]

Still a few "minor" things like the final plumbing inspection and getting our granite properly caulked (not caulking b/w counter & wall on one side!) [Sheesh...I would definitely not recommend these guys....our counters are still so uneven at the seam on the sink wall that a glass rocks on it!]

Here is a link that might be useful: Passed Final Elec Insp...Mocketts & All!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

You're a tease buehl... I'm lookin' for pics!! Congratulations and enjoy your new kitchen!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still haven't bought a new camera!!! But, I think I'm going to use my DH's work camera this weekend to take pics...they won't be as good as my old camera, but they should be fine for posting (I used it to post the Mockett & plugmold pics a few weeks ago.)

We're still working on the Pantry so we still haven't completely moved in to the kitchen yet....but getting there!