Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanajo

Coffee maker on new granite

tanajo
11 years ago

Yay! New granite installed on Thursday and I'm in love. My question/concern is about my coffee maker. Can I just leave it on the counter or should I put something under it? I'm worried it may leak or sputter or drip, etc.... And I won't see it to wipe it up right away. The granite is Alaska white

Comments (12)

• User
    11 years ago

Put it on a cookie sheet or half baking tray. That will contain the mess, allow you to change them out when they get messy.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

We've had our espresso machine on our quartzite since we remodeled 6 years ago and we haven't taken any special precautions. Sometimes I find a splash that someone has missed and it wipes up easily.

• babs711
    11 years ago

Granite is durable. I've never even thought twice about putting a coffee maker directly on the granites we've had in our house now or in the past and it's always worked out just fine.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

It should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Indeed, no worries with granite and the coffeemaker.
    If you really are concerned, use a plastic placemat underneath or a cookie sheet as mentioned above.

I actually have one coffeemaker in a concealed garage and the base is wood cabinetry. I pull the coffeemaker onto the granite when in use. Not had a problem. Our espresso maker sits right on granite at the bar. Again no problems.

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

No issues in 10 years with coffee maker spills on granite. Granite is a durable stone. I am only carefull with citrus. I make sure to wipe that up quickly.

• tanajo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone! I'm just paranoid I know but I've never had granite before and I would be the one to screw something up! What about oils? Like when DH leaves a stick of butter out, in the wrapper but I had a little heart thump on that one.

• babs711
    11 years ago

Again, granite is one of the least porous stones you can get. It's virtually indestructible. Tomato sauce, butter, wine...you name it. You're fine. Most of the dark granites are so dense they won't even accept sealers and therefore don't even need sealing. The lighter ones will usually take a sealer upon install and once a year or so. With that, you're good to go. What granite did you get?

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I would be careful with grease. Someone left a dish with bacon grease overnight on my light colored granite and it left a stain. I used a poltice to remove it and it only partially worked. Luckily it is not that noticeable to anyone but me:(

• tanajo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babs711- I have AW see post "is there a formula" for a photo, until I can get some more up, hopefully in finished kitchens someday!

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

as noted granite is quite stain resistant.

oil stains can occur but can often be removed with a solvent based poultice. On trick not often mentioned is to heat the stone with a blow driver which helps the solvent penetrate into the stone.

the poultice should be covered with plastic and taped on 3 sides so that it dries out very slowly. sometimes a 2nd application of a poultice is needed. a key is knowing waht the stain is so you can select the appropriate solvent for the poultice.

in several thousand granite jobs over 11 years we've had only 1/2 dozen or so stain events and it can almost always be removed if the nature of the stain is known. (we had one lady that drained bacon on paper toweling right on the stone which left a large blot. In that instance we made a replacement piece and told her not to do that again.)