Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Open shelves or a closed cabinet in this one little spot?

bridget helm
9 years ago

Hi. I need help with this one last kitchen decision amongst a whole house renovation. My brain hurts.

So we are focusing on upper cabinets. The area in question has 2 question marks penciled in.

To the right and left of the kitchen sink window will be two glass door cabinets of equal width. The glass door cabinet to the left of window if facing window, will end right where countertop turns corner to peninsula. So in the spot to the left of that cabinet should there be a NON glass door cabinet with a corbel running from the bottom left of it to the counter to form a stopping point for subway tile backsplash?

OR should we run shelves from the left side of the glass door cabinet with corbels ending them on their left sides to form a stop for backsplash. (We'd run the subways in between the shelves up the wall)

At first I wanted the shelves. Thought it would be fun, then I saw a pic of a kitchen with the cabinet and corbel where countertop turned into peninsula, and it looked neat and tidy. I liked it and it helped that I liked the whole look of the kitchen. I've yet to find a kitchen with the shelves where peninsula starts.

What say you? Thanks!

Comments (3)

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Can you show the photo you're describing? I can't picture it. Not sounds kinds of fussy to me.

Do you need the storage there? What will you store there in kitchen of your choices? Could you skip the cab/shelves all together?

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

we aren't living in the house yet and the kitchen has been taken down to the studs. the cabinet plan is being redrawn for changes, and i left the last drawing on accident at the architects house : /

you'll notice two little penciled in stools in the sketch - that's the peninsula.

it would help if my picture weren't sideways. i had to turn my laptop around
    above the dishwasher will be the cabinet with glass doors. next to that cabinet where the kitchen ends and the breakfast room begins, I don't know what to put. I've seen pics with nothing and it looks unfinished or like something was forgotten, and there has to be backsplash there.

maybe the open shelves will be fussy. the spot is about 2' wide. i like open shelves, but I've never seen them in a kitchen in this particular scenario - where a peninsula starts

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't think you need corbels, just start the tile, though you need a rounded edged tile. Forget what they're called--bullnose? Remember you can't access the cab over the peninsula too well. I have an open display cab over the peninsula, which is one of four cabinets between my stove and peninsula. I'd probably do a closed cab in your case since you have few uppers, and I'd use it for seasonal items. Or if you have china to display, use another glass cabinet.