Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint white/off white - suggestions?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 21:13

I need some advice from some of you who painted their kitchen white or off-white?

My original color of the current demolished kitchen is Benjamin Moor White Blush OC -86 but very shiny semi-gloss.

I want to clear the gloss and maybe go with egg shell for the ceiling and flat for the walls.

I will have walnut cabs + white quartz and cannot decide whether the same shade of white will be OK or I need something more crisp.

White variations are so many... Should I wait for the cabs to be on and then decide. I want the GC to finish painting the ceiling now. I know most people wait for the kitchen be up and ready and then pick the paint color.

Did you use same color of the walls for your ceiling?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint white/off white - suggestions?

When I first moved to my home, the painted painter the ceiling the same color as the walls and I did not like it. I have since painted my ceilings a flat ceiling white and the walls BM Bone White and I am happy as the rooms are now brighter. The walls are now very neutral and change color in different lighting but have good contrast with the ceiling. I would use a different color for the walls and paint the ceiling white.

o

Kitchen is almost white- towards warm, eggshell. A color from Glidden's discontinued no VOC line, FreshAire, called Distant Star. Ceiling is identical. House is warm-modern (fir windows, character white oak floors, no trim) and all the same white --for now. Upper cabinets are matched to the walls. Lower are cherry. Counters are white too. I made sure the paint was ok with the counters before painting.

o

Thank you for the great suggestions!

o

Because of my open plan and ceiling height changes, I needed to paint my kitchen ceiling the same color as the walls, SW Antique White. I used to be a white-only ceiling person, but I like the way the single color wraps the room, although the perception of sameness changes with the light throughout the day. If I didn't do the same color, I think I'd use a dilution of the wall color, but not go white. I'm fortunate to have 9-ft. ceilings, so it helps.

Are you painting yourself? If you can paint the ceiling before anything else, it's easier. Painting my ceiling (knock-down texture) with cabs in place was a colossal PITA.

o

Thank you Linelle!The GC will do the painting but I wanted him to finish the ceiling before cabs installed to avoid the mess etc.

o

We are blessed to have an amazing designer helping with our whole house reno. I knew I wanted white walls in the kitchen/dining/living room to act as the backdrop for our modern, mid-century, open-concept house. The designer picked SW Zurich white and it looks beautiful. It's not a white I would have chosen myself, but she was right--it's perfect. Very crisp and clean but not stark. Not yellow or gray, either. On her recommendation we also did the ceiling in the same color, in flat. The trim (1x6) will also be Zurich, but in a high gloss.

o

Yes, flat on the ceiling!

o

Thank you Linelle - so I should go flat on both?

o

I went back and forth on SW Antique White and BM Bone White as they look so similar but ended up picking BM Bone White since I liked the Pearl Finish it came in. I think having the ceiling this light color would have looked nice also. I prefer light ceilings as when I moved into my townhouse, the ceiling was a clay color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here