Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senator13

A sneak peek at my QS white oak kitchen cabs

senator13
12 years ago

Well, my Amish cabinet maker is about 1 week out from finishing and installing our cabs. I stopped by to see him today and took a couple pictures. I am very happy with the way they look, and feel. Now I won't be able to sleep until I see them again :)

Upper door fronts. This small door is for above the microwave. A couple of the doors will have glass in the upper two pieces.
{{!gwi}}From Kitchen cabinets

The sink cabinet. Obviously without the doors, but with my Kohler Dickenson sink.
{{!gwi}}From Kitchen cabinets

The back panel that will go on the raised counter, as well as a couple more of my cabs (and someone else's-no white ones for me this time).

From Kitchen cabinets

Comments (14)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Senator- Wow! The cabs are looking good. I love the foot detail on the sink cabinet.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I like the foot detail as well. We did it in a couple places to highlight the look.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Oh, myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Those are SO beautiful. Breathtaking. The microwave cab door is particularly awesome.

I. Can't. Wait. To see your kitchen! Thanks for the preview.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rhome, I am beyond flattered since you have one of my favorite GW kitchens. In fact, I wanted QS white oak from the beginning, but really questioned my decision when I saw your fir cabs, along with the beautiful painted ones. We are also using Marmoleum for our floor, so you have been quite the inspiration all along!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

"scuse me while I wipe off the drool, here. Way beyond stunning. Can't wait to see more,

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Gorgeous cabinets!
    Will they have some sort of finish, or can they be left completely natural?

Are those white upper cabinets I see inthe background? I'm rather obsessed with the idea of white uppers and wood lower cabinets these days, as some of you will have noticed. White oak and white would be spectacular I think.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I wanted QS white oak from the beginning, but really questioned my decision when I saw your fir cabs

Funny, Senator13, that we originally intended to do QS oak in our kitchen...until we decided to use the fir from our own yard for the house millwork, and couldn't see that and the QS Oak doing well together. I still miss that we didn't get to use it, and love seeing it in others' kitchens. Thanks very much for the nice compliment...But I guess we just have similar taste! :-D

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

celtinNE-Thanks for those sweet comments. I can't wait to see more either :) It is fun to see something that you have designed come to fruition!

lisa0527-they will remain natural just like that. They have a light finish, but no stain. My dad is a hobby woodworker, as was my grandfather. They finished everything with tung oil, so I am very used to "letting the wood speak for itself". The white cabs are not mine, but I did propose at one time (after seeing some of Boxer's pics) doing wood lowers and white uppers. I love that look, just couldn't convience my husband that he wanted it like I did! Our kitchen looks out onto a great room that will have some painted built-ins. So I guess that is my best of both worlds.

Rhome, you are right about the QS white oak and the fir not playing nice together. I had looked at getting fir interior doors, but they did not look right with the QS cabs. Oh well, maybe in my next house...or life :)

• timber.j
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

I might be a bit biased, though, since I also have QS white oak cabinets with upper doors that style. :D

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your kitchen when it is finished!

• prill
    12 years ago

WOW, those are beautiful!!! Love the sink and base.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

They look so neat! They seem to have almost a glow to them. I love how well made they are and think that when they are installed, it will be even better in context ;) This is only a fraction of how nice it will all be pulled together!

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

WOW, what a fun day. Those are great esp. that sink base with the sink.

• senator13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

timber-you are biased, but in all the right ways :) My crown it going to look very similar to yours too!

dinalo, he is a very good craftsman! I don't think he gets to do the QS white oak all that often, but he really enjoys the look of that wood.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Beautifully done, love those rays!
    Lynn