Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Countertop for Drainboard Sink

Posted by cehenrichs (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 20:59

We are remodeling our kitchen and have bought a vintage enameled cast iron sink with double drainboards and a single sink. It is not the wall mounted type but sits on top of the countertop. Has anyone installed a sink like this? How much of the drainboards should have countertop under it? There are some things poking down beneath the drainboards so clearly the counters cannot go right up to the sink bowl. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We plan to have a butcher block countertop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Countertop for Drainboard Sink

Can you post an image of it? Also of what is poking down from the underneath? I have an old sink like that (no drainboards, though) but it's a wall mount.

o

We just had our installed. It acts like a drop in sink as far as the countertop is concerned. The base cabinet was built specifically larger to fit its dimensions.

o

This is not cehenrich's sink but it may be similar as it too has "things poking down beneath the drainboards". I believe the "things" are designed to rest on matching supports.

photo sinkundersidecloseup_zpsee3345e0.jpg

antiquehome.org has many pictures of these sinks in print ads showing the front of the sink matching the flow of the front of the countertop and/or installed on top on the metal sink base cabinets where it *is* the countertop.

retrorenovation.com also has *lots* of good info on these types of sinks.

(not to derail the OP but I had hoped to install my sink this past winter. Unfortunately, the rain falling in several rooms made a new roof the priority.) The plan on installation is to add supports from below and the side in the cabinets to match the "things" on the sink. I've wanted to find one of those metal sink bases to see what support was provided but haven't yet found one to look in (either physically or virtually).

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: retrorenovation.com on these sinks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here