Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanda18

Kitchen backsplash

Wanda18
12 years ago

I have really appreciated all of the help I received on this forum with our kitchen renovation. We are almost done. I am waiting for my pendant lights above the sink to be delivered and I need to finalize my backsplash choice. I am leaning toward mozaic glass tiles about 1" high by 3" long in alternating colors of champaigne, copper and chocolate.

I will try to post some before and after photos. I created a folder and the before photos are last - sorry, I was unable to change the order of photos.

I used:

Happy Floors - Bambu Tile

Cafe Imperial Granite

African Mahogany Custom Cabinets with

Element Doors using ribbed glass and LED

undercabinet lights.

Kohler 45" stages sink with 2 Karbon Articulating Faucets

Electrolux ICON appliances with the exception of a

Wolf warming drawer installed under my induction cooktop.

The warming drawer has a custom cabinet door.

Comments (28)

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll try again to post the before and after photos. Any suggestions for backsplash would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen b-4 and after

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Wow - those are some amazing before pictures! I would be dying to re-do my kitchen too! Which is beautiful.

I don't have any specific tile brands, names and color ideas for your backsplash but I would say you can certainly do something striking or on the busy, more vibrant side. Like your suggestion of "mosaic glass tiles about 1" high by 3" long in alternating colors of champaigne, copper and chocolate." Have you seen any pics of that in someone else's kitchen or on a tile website? It would be pretty easy to mock up and get a sense of if you like it or not.
    (OT - we have a friend in common via facebook! Lydia in Atlanta - how crazy is that?)

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks New SouthernBelle. It is a small world. The only glass tile backsplash that seems to work so far is:
    http://www.mirageglasstiles.com/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&P_ID=965&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=272

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirage Glass Tiles Impressions Series Item #IMP10

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your new kitchen is so fabulous! I think that because it has a serene vibe to it, I'd consider a single color glass tile in large format. The mosaic pattern will add too many lines and too much noise to such a zen type space.
    If not tiles, I could see a sheet version of stainless bs. Even the plain paint is better than busying it up....

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks NewSouthern Belle and Dianalo. The two of you have honed in on my dilema. I like the idea of adding a bold statement and added color to the kitchen, but do have some concerns about the small glass tiles making the kitchen feel "too busy". I would love to find subway tiles in the champaigne color and perhaps add some small accents with the mosaic, but wonder if that would look dated? I thought this would be easier by waiting for the kitchen to be almost done, but still a very tough decision. I like everything so far and don't want to make a mistake at this point in the renovation.

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

Can you get the glass mosaic in a plain glossy glass? What makes it look busy to me is the 'crinkly' (can't think of a better word right now ;-) effect in the glass. I like the colours. Have you seen the Susan Jablon Mosaics site? It has a tool that allows you to design the mosaic in the colours that you want in plain glass (also a 1x3" subway).
    HTH, Petra

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Jablon Mosaics

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

How about something like this?

{{!gwi}} or
    {{!gwi}}

This may not be the right color, I couldn't get your kitchen and the photos side-by-side, but it's the idea I was thinking of. Your kitchen has a very calm and modern vibe, so I think something understated could work. I love bold statements and color splashes, but I don't think this is the right place in your kitchen to do that. These people (I chose them at random) also have glass tiles in 4 x 12.

Here is a link that might be useful: where the photos came from

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Yeah, I get your dilema - which direction to go. I think either something bold or something calm will both certainly work and it is just a matter of what your preference is. What's more your thing? Did you start with any sort of kitchen mission statement? If so, go back and take a look at that for which direction to take.

I think suzanne's suggestion of a solid, but interesting colored subway tile is a good one. Then you could do one "stripe" at the bottom or the 2/3rd up with a more striking color. I'm trying to think who's picture I saw on here who had a decorative tile just on the bottom closest to the granite and I was surpised at how well it worked... if I can remember or find it, I will post again.

You could shout out to Boxerpups asking for image examples.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

Sorry I don't have much to add, but I really admire your kitchen! Very unique and cool!! I was wondering, can you tell me where you got your stainless steel and glass doors? I googled Element Doors but i just got a car website?...

As for backsplash, I would think something that takes a color from your bamboo tile floors would be good, like a honey/cream color? Or I would go with something that would match your counters, a matte charcoal slate color, or non-glossy black tone would go in the background and really make your cabs pop!

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments michoumonster. The website for the element doors is www.element-designs.com and the website for the stainless steel door handles is www.epchohardware.com. I used model DP41-AS. My contractor also used blum motion hinges and the servo pro for the trash cans. They are great additions to the cabinets.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you do want to add color, like a bold orange or such, I'd still do it with larger format, single tone tiles. The small size of the mosaic and the multi colors would not suit your kitchen as well as they do elsewhere. I see something smooth in your kitchen. Maybe even sheet glass? You could go glossy, frosted or matte.

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dianalo. I am going back to the drawing board as I agree that I need to stay away from the multi color mosaic tiles. I haven't heard of sheet glass? I tried googling it, but didn't find anything. Any website recommendations?
    My family would never be bold enough for something like orange, but I am looking for a single tone larger format tile.

• David
    12 years ago

Sheet glass is extremely expensive as the glass will have to be fabricated with cutouts for the wall outlets and whatever other holes needed.

There could be sections depending on the size and skill of the fabricator/ installer.
    The glass will be held to the wall with gobs of silicone.

ColorKote is one vendor.

An alternative is using Porcelanosa Crystal Acido large format tile.

The tile is ~ 39.5" by 13". There are a number of colors to choose from.

Here are several views of my kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystal Acido

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

davidtay - Your kitchen is beautiful and I really like the glass wall. Thanks for the posting.

• David
    12 years ago

Thanks. It's not glass but crystal acido.

I looked into glass, but it proved to be impractical and not worthwhile.

The fabricator wanted a lead time of 4 to 6 weeks and quoted a price tag > $5k.

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Davidtay - thanks for the additional note. I will be checking out crystal acido. It is beautiful in your kitchen. This may be asking too much, but if it was available in a very lightly tinted bronze/copper finish, I think that would be perfect for my kitchen.

• David
    12 years ago

If you do deal with Porcelanosa, they usually have a bi-annual sale (timing dependent on the local Porcelanosa shop).
    Otherwise, ask for the contractor's discount.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Well, by the time I got here, you were already heading in the direction I'd suggest -- glass or other larger single color. I was thinking a pale green or cream color, possibly a silvery grey, or stainless. Cool, calm and simple are the common ideas. You've done a great job and what a 180!

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lascatx - I'm now trying to find someone who has the ability to photoshop a couple of options onto my photos.

• editionk
    12 years ago

wanda - I was pouring over backsplash pics on the FKB recently and noted a few that were stainless and sheets of glass. Here are some names to check:

mindstorm, aweinman, baxawas, english8, manicotti, sewanhakagirl and sundownr

davidtay - you're killing me! I had no idea what sheets of tempered glass would run and just left messages with some local fabricators Thurs and Fri. I know now not to keep my hopes up. I will check out your material as it offers a very similar look to sheets of glass.

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

editionk - I am spending hours searching photos to try and find something that we both like. I am embarrased to admit that I have not figured out how to navigate GW very well. Can you tell me what FKB is and how I can locate it. I would love to check out the names you provided and don't know how.

• editionk
    12 years ago

Sure! The FKB is the finished kitchen blog. Pictures, specs and descriptions of some of the finished kitchens from GW people.

Here's a link to the blog, then on the right side you can click on the first letter of the names I mentioned above, find their name in the list, click and see their pictures.

You can click on "Categories" on the right, and then some of the subcategories (there's a whole page) to see pics of kitchens that pertain to each category. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Blog

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the link. That was extremely helpful. My husband is much more conservative than I am and not willing to consider stainless steel bs so that is out. The Ann Sacks Metro tile is very interesting. We both like the same colors - he happens to like the smaller mosaic tiles, while I think this kithen calls for the larger subway tiles or even something more unique. We both love the kitchen so far and really don't want to do something that causes us to not be as happy with it. I'm working with my nephew in an effort to photoshop a couple of bs options onto photos of our wall. If he can't do it, I was going to ask the tile store I'm working with.
    -I will also keep going back to FKB site and continue looking. It is awesome and like going to the library - I could spend all day.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

I just clicked on to see the finished kitchen...and it's amazing!

What a transformation.

Your ideas for the backsplash sound great.

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it has been 3 weeks and I'm still trying to make a decision. Ugh - This is taking way more time than I have.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I have been looking on line at some of the above suggestions and had the chance to go to an amazing tile store this past week. Please let me know what you think of using 2 different tiles. Behind the cooktop and running from the top of the granite to the ceiling, I was thinking of Angela Adams Form tile using the Ann Sacks color Sand Dune.
    http://www.annsacks.com/onlinecatalog/program.jsp?cat=268004&coll=268204&prg=1095504

Then on the rest of the area that needs backsplash using
    Ore contemporary glass tiles found at www.interstyle.ca
    There are 3 colors that I like - Onyx, Barite and Calcite. They come in many size options. I was thinking of using Onyx as the primary color perhaps in 2" x 6" tiles or even larger? and then sporadically placing 1" x 2" of the barite and calcite in a random pattern with the barite and calcite pieces over each other so it looks like a 2" x 2" pattern.

I hope that makes sense - I tried to attach photos from the online web sites, but couldn't figure it out.

I would love all suggestions - even if it is to keep shopping. I really looked at the crystal acido and stainless steel, but it just doesn't feel right in this kitchen.

Thanks!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Form tile:
    {{!gwi}}
    Ore:

Colors:

• Wanda18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Remodelfla - Thank you so very much for posting the photo of the 2 tiles I am asking readers to post an opinion on. I had no idea how to do that. I am so appreciative to you for putting it on my page. I am really hoping I get some feedback so I can hopefully complete this stage of the renovation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen before and after as of 7/31/11

• enduring
    12 years ago

I love Remodelfla's example of the square modern designed tile!! I haven't read the whole thread but I love your pics on facebook you linked to. It's going to be so cool when you get all done.