Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanbaby_2008

Need help resolving fridge next to wall issue

oceanbaby_2008
15 years ago

So we realized that in our initial design, the fridge door would only be able to open 90 degrees since it is next to a wall that extends out about 6" past the fridge. That is not going to work for us. There really isn't any other place to put the fridge, so we have two options:

1. Put in a small 3-4" filler and be able to open the fridge a little more than 90 degrees, but still not all the way.

2. Put in an 18" pullout pantry between the wall and fridge, be able to open the fridge all the way, but would only have 18" of counter space between fridge and sink, which also means losing those upper cabinets.

This seems to be a common problem/issue - how did you solve it?

Comments (21)

• paulines
    15 years ago

I have the fridge next to a wall - no filler, just a small, clear rubber bumper. It's a french door fridge and I've never had a problem or issue with the door swing (and I cook and entertain alot!). If you have an occasionally need to open the door >90 degrees (why?), you can pull the fridge forward a few inches and swing away.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Can you cut back the offending wall?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Yep... what ci lantro said. Even if it's load bearing you can cut it back without compromising the structure.

• jagl
    15 years ago

I had the same problem with my new fridge. I was able to put in a 3-4 inch filler and this allows me to open the door enough to get all the shelves out with no problem. I have the cabinet depth, integrated Thermador with the fridge on top and freezer on the bottom. Maybe it would work for your fridge, too.

• oceanbaby_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't want to cut the wall back because it's lined up with the wall opening to the living room and the two walls make up the entry of the house. So it would look funky to have one wall be 6-8" shorter than the other, especially considering they are only a little over 3' to begin with.

I will go check out some of the fridges, and see if I can find one that will work with just a 3"-4" filler.

And yes - it's the pulling the drawers out for cleaning that I consider a necessity. That, and not brushing my shoulder up against the door when I have to lean in to get something.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

On both of our fridges, (which are inset into cabinetry) you can remove the offending shelves on the door and then remove the drawers as long as you can get just a bit past 90 degrees :)

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

I have the same problem, but igloochic has the answer to my problem. Thanks igloochic!

I do hate the stupid fridge I chose. I wish I had went with the french door....makes much more sense in a corner.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

What about a 6" filler pullout/utility cabinet b/w the wall and the refrigerator? That would leave you with 30" work space b/w the sink & refrigerator: Filler Pull-Outs - Tall

OR

A 12" utility/pullout cabinet? That would give you 24" work space b/w the sink & refrigerator: Tall/Pantry

And then, of course, there's the 4" broom closet courtesy of IKEAFans!

Here is a link that might be useful: 4'' Broom Closet Modification

• paulines
    15 years ago

For many people locating the fridge next to a wall is the only or best option and many can't cut back the wall due to HVAC ducting, cost or aesthetic reasons to the rest of the home.

In theory and if anyone had asked the same question four years ago, I would have answered, no way! After living with my particular arrangement (and specing it a few times for clients), it makes sense and there's really no 'downside'. The drawers on the 'wall side' extend more than 75%, more than enough for a thorough cleaning and once or twice a year (ahemmm) I pull the fridge forward to remove all components for washing and clean under & behind the fridge at that time.

Additionally, you do want to leave an inch or three breathing room/crooked wall allowance around the fridge, so w/o door molding (as in my picture), you get the slightly >90 swing.

Your answer may be in the type and model of fridge you purchase - look for either french doors or the more costly ones that hinges allow the door to open onto the box itself.

Good design is not always about a perfect arrangement, but one that makes the most sense for your home and how you and your family lives. To me, you're losing more than you're gaining by not putting the fridge next to the wall, but your feelings may differ ;)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I know this is probably not the best solution for your situation, but my pricey Liebherr fridge (my one splurge!) opens on a rotating hinge that does not need any clearance at all beyond the box. It's quite nifty, and for the record, the best & quietest fridge I've ever had or seen in my life. :)

• holligator
    15 years ago

I will go check out some of the fridges, and see if I can find one that will work with just a 3"-4" filler.

Oceanbaby, if you haven't yet purchased your fridge, this might not be a problem for you. As paulines and others have mentioned here when this has come up, there are refrigerators that require less door opening space than others. Some are fine at 90 degrees, others just a little more. Get the info on these fridges from those folks and start shopping!

Like rhome410, I have only had refrigerators that required the door to open more than 90 degrees. A lot of other folks have also expressed their frustration with a design that didn't allow them access into their refrigerator drawers. You should also find out what fridges they had.

My current fridge (a KA counter-depth side-by-side) requires the door to be open much more than 90 degrees to open the drawers at all--not just for cleaning. I would not want to have to remove the shelves on the door every time I wanted in one of my drawers. As much as I love this fridge, I would have to tell you to avoid it in your kitchen.

• saramae585
    15 years ago

I am in the same situation. I posted this same question a while back and had some good advice. Here is the link if you are interested.
    After much reassurance from our KD, we decided to keep it as it is. My DH decided that if it a problem, our KD will be responsible... Our cabinets are being installed as we speak. My fingers are crossed! I'll let you know how it works out when our fridge is delivered.
    Good luck!
    Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh No! Will my fridge open?

• mm80205n
    9 years ago

or this one?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

You could always widen both doorways so they match.

• ControlfreakECS
    9 years ago

There are options that fall between 3" filler and 18" cabinet. I am pretty certain that pull out pantries are available as 9" and definitely as 12" maybe as narrow as 6". I would be looking into those options.

Edit: Found this:

Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf pull out filler

This post was edited by controlfreakecs on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 8:52

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Our french door refrigerator is next to a wall that is 7 inches past the front of the cabinets. We have a 2-3/4 inch spacer on the wall side and I have no problem opening the refrigerator and using the drawers. I do pull the refrigerator out a bit if I want to take a drawer out for cleaning. I do have a felt sticker that matches the wall that the door touches instead of the wall.

• adriennehmiller
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

likewhatyoudo, can you provide more details about your fridge (who makes it, model number, etc)? I have a similar space and want a fridge that looks exactly like yours. But I've been told I won't be able to use the drawers if I can only get the right door open 90 degrees.

• likewhatyoudo
    8 years ago

adriennehmiller - The refrigerator is a Electrolux. The refrigerator is on wheels and easily pulls out to fully open the doors to remove the drawers. I believe most refrigerators have wheels and can be moved. I can use all the drawers no problem only if I want to take them out do I need to pull out the fridge further.

• John Teets
    6 years ago

You can always reverse the door if absolutely no option. I have to work with very small kitchens all the time - U try to keep the fridge on the open end of a straightline

or ell. which also shields a dish rack or clutter on the counter. Otherwise, use a 9: broom cabinet - always welcome and no use. You can do the 90° open with 3" and

simply roll out the fridge when you need to clean. Should clean back there anyhow - you ever check> It can be gross.

• Laurie Whitehead
    last year

Same issue with LG Thin IQ…12” clear required when going up against drywall. that info is not listed anywhere by LG. has anyone been able to source a narrower drawer that hangs from the shelf above? it’s the only solution that i can come up with…

drywall can not move, cannot provide 12” clear, location needs to remain - water lines.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths