Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Please show / tell me about your griddle?

kksmama
9 years ago

I've read a lot of threads which mentioned the Chef King 14 x 23, and I think I need one to replace my cast iron lodge reversible griddle/grill which is 10.5" x 20, but with only about 8.5" x 16" of useful pancake space. I rarely have to move it since I have a nice large 36" rangetop, and would hope to just leave the Chef King there, too.

I often wish I had more space on the griddle, and the handle-holes aren't far enough apart for my burners. I use it every day, sometimes for both breakfast and lunch. I'm worried about the steel looking terrible sitting there, but I could hide it in an oven if I had a visitor to impress. I think I could still use the middle and right burners with it in place.

Anyone have another griddle to recommend? I don't want nonstick, and do my grilling outdoors. Here is my current griddle, please excuse the messy rangetop and don't hesitate to post yours!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I had a Viking at my old house. I didn't use it that often, but it made the best fried eggs ever for some reason.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Was it built in, Treb? Does anyone else keep their griddle on their rangetop and happen to have a picture?

• kksmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, here is the new Chef King side by side with my old faithful lodge cast iron. I've started seasoning, thankful all over again for my 48" hood and 36" rangetop!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That will definitely give you more pancake space, but I think the Lodge looks nicer for being left out. It's smaller size matches the grate size better, making less obtrusive.

How does it look turned the other way, across the back three burners? Not that you'd want to use it at the back, but that might be a better place to leave it when not in use :)

• kksmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, Errant. I might be able to remember to slip it into the oven when we aren't using it, but this is a function over form decision. I make hot sandwiches or quesadillas nearly every day for 4-8 people and pancakes a couple times a month. I'll be looking for other things to do with my new toy tool!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Mmmm a grilled sandwich sound good right now. For so reason, I am starving today!

Be sure to let us know if the new griddle heats as evenly as the old. One thing I love about my CO griddle, even though, it's small, is the evenness.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

boy was i shocked when i misread your title...

i wasnt sure i wanted to see pix ...

lol

ken

• kksmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love it! I think it cooks more evenly than my cast iron, and the extra space has already been put to good use!
    Lol, Ken - we do have title malfunctions around here and they can't be edited, so I was careful!
    Errant, I decided to cook on the front two burners, and made an extra for you!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Another griddle lover here! I've never needed more than 4 burners, so I opted for the built in on my range. I use it at least once a day, and often two or three times. Honestly, I think It gets as much or more use than the burners!

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

Our new stove has a built in griddle but I haven't used it yet (no running water in kitchen), so I will be following this post looking for tips! I did start making a list of all possible foods to make on a griddle...sandwiches, bacon/eggs, pancakes, brats with onions & peppers, proofing dough, naan, eggs, crepes, veggie sausage, stir fry, French toast, griddle cakes, keeping appetizers warm, English muffins, toasted bread, toasted wraps, flatbreads, use like hot plate for serving dishes, carmelize onions, toasted cheese.