Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigjim24

Lighting over just installed garden window ideas (cross post)

bigjim24
12 years ago

The new garden window was installed (mostly) today. I need to choose the light fixture above as the electrician is going to be on site next week. Do I go with a flush, semi-flush or pendant here? I am open to any and all suggestions.Pics would be great as to what you've done over your sink. I did cross post in lighting, but this forum gets so many more helpful responses :)

The main fixtures are Medya Celtic Knots. If that helps at all.

As always thanks for your invaluable advise!

Comments (36)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Can you post a pic showing the whole wall and part of the ceiling. I'd like to the symmetry of the wall. Thanks.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Sorry. I'd like to SEE the symmetry of the wall.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Yes, lets see the wall, and the other elements you have in mind to help with the critique.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some pics on the cabs in progress. Some other picture details as well. Appliances are SS.

Cabs Starmark 1/4 sawn oak. Finish Nutmeg. The glass inserts on either side of the sink will be the same stained glass that is behind the celtic knot in the light fixture (back lit in the cabs). It wasn't my idea but I love it! And Meyda was very helpful and able to create the inserts.

Wall in question. Drawing then actual in progress.

{{!gwi}}

Koffice

Square peg round hole :)

Sink Kraus

Counters Green Mountain Soapstone. Not my actual slab, but close.

{{!gwi}}

BS JS Cork Subway in crackle. Want the BS to be understated and not in competition with stone, as recommended by you great people.

Mission Swivel Stools for Island and Koffice.

I'm thinking a sagey green wall color but not sure yet. Also, the floor is in question too. Had to rip out the oak b/c center beam was sagging and when GC joisted it up - it compromise the floor. But those questions are for another post or 2 at least!

Hope this helps! Am I forgetting anything? I would love any and all feedback. You are all so great and I am so lucky to have stumbled upon this site!!! Thanks so much for your help :)

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bump

• mikomum
    12 years ago

I'm thinking semi-flush. I don't think a pendant would look right hanging in from of that window and but I like the idea of the light being a little lower than flush.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I was going to say semi-flush as well. However, will that center fixture go away? I wouldn't like a semi-flush so close to a big flush mount. But what really makes it hard to say is that we can't see the backlit stained glass. That's going to make a really strong statement and affects your choice quite a bit.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Semi-flush would be ok. But (and this would require rewiring) I was wondering about something that would be located on the wall, above the window but would come out 3-4". Almost like a sconce but not flush against the wall.
    The reason I wanted to see the whole wall is because I could picture 2 of them above the window - centered 1/3 and 1/3.
    You know how outside wall porch lights are configured - sort of like that. You would't want them to hang below the window - I don;t think - but maybe.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. Marcolo, I don't have the stained glass yet (slow boat from somewhere) but will post when installed. Seagull Ambient Lighting in and under the cabs just went in today. These little pods which can be plugged in any-darn where on the track are sooo cool. For this dinosaur at least.

My old under cab light (yes just 1) was brown/white cover, fluorescent was very boxy and ugly.

The window casing is 14" from ceiling. This was posted by paulineinmn and I was thinking it just might work. Paulineinmn I love your choice! Perhaps with 2 different heights? They are only 11.5" give or take from ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

I don't think it would compete with the Meyda Celtic Knots or garden window but fade into the back? TIA for your help. Lighting cross post does not get as much feedback as kitchens.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Or you can get a 2-light wall bracket light instead of 2 single ones.. I was just on the Seagull site and they have some nice ones. Just a thought.
    It was just what I envisioned when I saw your kitchen.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

blfenton, I was posting as you were posting. Is this better? Not on the wall but 1/3 and 1/4 down but not below the window. Humph. I did not consider on the wall and the electrician left today. Maybe for now :)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I wish I knew how to embed/post pics but I don't.
    You see in your first pic where the plate of the fixture is dangling. Ok, put a 2-light bracket fixture right there on the wall at that spot with the lights facing down. Just a thought.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Not sure I'd like the busyness of two lights on the wall there. I can see either semi flush or pendant, but in a metal that matches the Celtic fixture. The clear glass seems to have a chrome or nickel base, plus it seems too, I don't know, clear to go with the stained glass. The exposed bulbs might compete for focus.

• Kode
    12 years ago

I found some mini pendants on Overstock.com that are bronze hardware and a rectangular 5 inch amber glass shade. I think the plain amber might look nice with the amber in the stained glass and shape is very simple.

There is also this same shade in some 2, 3, and 5 light sconces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark Bronze 1 light mini pendant

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bf and marcolo. The dangling will be gone. It dangled (on purpose)and so I painted the ceiling. Besides, that fixture was very dated. I think I need to see some pics. I think I need boxer or bee and anyothers to weigh in here. . I am sooo not a shopper here and this is a wee bit overwhelming for me. Could I do one light? Meyda does not do anything compimentary with those lights. I think I m trying to find something that will blend. The metal on the Celtic is an antique pewter. My bad for ordering these 1st. They are a bear to match.

Cab hardware: antique pewter. I do know this kitchen is VERY taste specific (not for anyone other than me and not following trends). But I still need your help, please.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you :(

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Meyda has a build-your-own-fixture tool on the website, which of course I cannot make work for me. You could try their A&C Stillwell pendant, or something like that. Picks up on the basic shape of the chandelier.

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

I've also just installed a garden window, and I'm using a recessed can light over my Kraus sink.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Here's a few lights I found...maybe someone will have better ideas...

Here's a Tiffany style semi-flush:

Some different small/mini pendants:

Lowes has this cool Stone Crackle mini pendant shade that you can match up with a matte black fixture:

Last, but not really appropriate I found this lovely Celtic Triple Knot lamp. I'm including it just because its pretty....but a handy type person could probably turn the shade into a pendant lamp if they really liked it:

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo - I couldn't make it work either. I like the idea though, thanks. I'll give them a jingle today.

Catherine, can you please post pics of you sink and recessed? Thanks.

Oh my Kode I think you are really on to something wonderful with the crackle shade :) Thanks! Unfortunately I am not nearly handy enough for the last option, but i Love it.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I think you need to emphasize the width of the window area as counterpoint to all those upper cabs. Consider a pair of modestly wide to almost skinny pendants or semi-flushes which switch on and off as a set and are suspended over the left and right sides of sink. They won't intrude into headroom at sink and you can tend the center of the garden window most easily. Or even use a two-pendant island fixture, again with modest globes. You want the width and graciousness to be the story, not the lights.

If you like plain modern glass lights, Besa Lighting in Ohio has some good pendant options that you can configure to your need and they're made in US I think. They also have nice flushmounts. We kept our ceiling flushmounts and put in Besa "Carera" matte white ones to compliment our pendants--we like the detail of having a ceiling light instead of recessed light and the combo of ceiling and pendant works for us, although the pendants are another brand.

If you have houseplants in the window you have to decide how important they will be vs how important the pendant or semi-flush. If you do a flush mount and you have plain flowerpots and plain plants, you will downplay the window and the cabs will dominate unless the lighting is interesting. Put in bright red flowerpots and some wacky plants you go the other way--who cares about showy lights if window is the star. Up to you.

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

celtinNE - Unfortunately, my cabinets and sink have not been installed yet.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Here's mine by our kitchen bay window.
    We chose this one to match our faucet and switch plates.

Gary

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gary, I LOVE your window. I wish I gad found this site before I ordered the garden window. Can you tell me what kind of light that is, please? I think it may work.

Catherine, sorry about no sink for you yet? Do you miss it? I miss the sink more than any darn thing in the kitchen.

marcolo - I din't have much luck with Meyda today, but I will persist.

florantha - the window will be functional, for growing herbs. I think I want to downplay the cabs. There a lot of them. Are these sort of what you were talking about? Or am I still running amok? I don't think modern would blend here.

{{!gwi}}

Or...

{{!gwi}}

GC said "pendants would look effing stupid. It should be at most a semi-flush." But he is no KD nor am I. I And I certainly can't afford one.

Thanks for your continued help and feedback.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Celt,

I found this picture of a garden window with a pendant light, just so you can see what it would look like. I don't think it looks "effing stupid".

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I believe we ordered the light from a speciality light manufacturer in Massachusetts.
    They had all kinds of shapes and finishes and
    build to order, as I recall.
    Our finish is Antiqued Copper.

I will see if I can find their Web-site on the net, and report
    back.

Later!

Gary

• dodge59
    12 years ago

OK I found the store, For an Old ****le, I have a pretty good memory.
    Here's the lamp, (Click on the link I supplied below).

Thanks for your kind comments on the window, We really love them, they provide great ventilation, plus we added half screens as we use that window to pass food through to and from the patio. The outside of the window has a granite platform, (same granite as kitchen) so it gives the "Illusion" that the window sits on a huge chunk of granite.

You probably also noticed that we didn't have that
    "Tormenting Decision" as what backsplash would go with our
    Arandis Gold Granite (LOL) We still love the look, after
    5 years!!!

Good luck on yours!!!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Lght

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

YES, I really miss my sink! Thought I'd never look forward to washing dishes.

Here's some garden windows with recessed lighting over them.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Garden Window[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Gary for finding it. OT I'd love to see a pic of the outside of that window. It is truly amazing!! Some friends stopped by last night to check out the progress and I showed them your window (hope you don't mind) and their jaws dropped in wonderment. And that was before adult beverages were served :)

Catherine feeling your pain with the sink issue :( Thanks for the link but I don't think the recessed are going to match the rest of the kitchen. Too modern? I really appreciate your help.

I think you nailed it Kode. Now all I have to do is find it. Any ideas? BTW I showed it to my grumpy GC today and his reply was "hunh" to which I said "say it..." And he grudgingly said "you were right and I was wrong..." Thanks for that alone as I'm always the one saying that :) I gave you full credit.

• Kode
    12 years ago

LOL...that's funny Celt.

Actually your Celtic motif has inspired me! Its a wonderful "out of the box" idea and I just love it.

I do have a couple ideas...let me see if I can cut and paste a visual for you. Might take a while ;P

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I have a car show this afternoon (Friday), but tomorrow I will take some detailed pics of the window and the pass thru with the granite platform, out side.

I had to buy a slab for that platform, it's huge, so I used the left over granite to redo the area around my bbq, I had tiled it before, and as ya might expect, the grout was a "Total Disaster" after being outside for 5 years or so.

Chat Tomorrow!

Gary

• Kode
    12 years ago

Paint is an amazing thing and I'm not talking about that stuff you smear on walls. Of course that handy dandy little drawing you posted helped a lot too ;P

You could center a recessed light for more light or maybe a plant friendly bulb for winter.

• Kode
    12 years ago

The pendants are a darker amber in this one...its also a Meyda pendant so maybe the colors would be a better match with your Celtic light shade.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

In your choice of the "celtic knot" lighting, what is the most important--the yellow knot? the craftsman era style? the mottled stained glass? the color combo?

Kode's mockup shows the two pendant idea nicely. I like the idea of picking up the yellow but not if you don't want to emphasize it. Of the two semi-flushes you show, I'd choose the second one. Any chance you can see it in person and stand underneath to see how comfortable it is on the eyes?

Be sure to think about the plant containers when you do this planning. Budget sufficient money to get ones that work with the rest of your plan--don't let it be an afterthought.

Here are some Justice pendants that had been in my thinking at one time--more transitional than Craftsman. Justice Lighting has some lines with yellowish cast to the shade--see the item below. (If I had been buying 2 instead of 5 pendants, I would own a different Justice set of pendants; as it is, I got 5 Quoizels on a fabulous sale and couldn't turn them down. It drove all kinds of other decisions, including playing up the chrome trim in kitchen.)

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Here is a link that might be useful: look at one in lower left?

• Kode
    12 years ago

I just picked something that looked good in the mockup. I think a more subtle pendant would look better. The focus will be on the back-lighted glass cabinets on either side of the sink. I thought the amber lights would look better than something brighter like white or clear glass, but black or dark metal pendants would probably be nice too, so you get just the soft wash of light downward instead of outward, if you know what I mean.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

OK, as promised, here are 2 pictures of the bay window, first one shows the "Illusion" that the bay window sits on a huge block of granite, and the 2nd picture is the granite shelf from the outside.

Gary

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OHHHH my Gary - that is goosebump gorgeous. Love the idea of passing food, etc. right out that window. I love it! I just had a thought. I can imagine walking up to the window and placing an order! Brings a whole new level and meaning to take out :) Thanks so much for sharing.

florantha, thanks for the link. I'll check out the Quoizels as well. I'm not sure what the most important feature is. The cab inserts are the mottled stained glass, not the knots. Sorry, I should have been clearer. The colors are blends of green, blue, amber, burgandy tones. Yikes, I forgot all about the plant containers! Thanks for the reminder!

Rembrandt, oops I mean Kode...Thanks so much for taking the time to create those incredible visuals. They help a lot. I like the Amber as well. The white and clear glass wasn't working for me either, but I think desperation is setting in. I don't think I need the recessed. The under cab pods throw enough light, I think. I'll have to wait until the SS counter is installed.

BTW thanks for your kind "outside of the box" comment. Most people think this is "very" taste specific (in other whispered words "she's gone completely mad" :)

So after your helpful feedback, here are some ideas. Am I on the right track yet or am I still off?

Maybe a 2 light mini in:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Or
    {{!gwi}}

Thanks again for your help! Got to run. SS just pulled into the driveway!!!!!!!!!