Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asovey_gw

Cork Flooring Questions

asovey
10 years ago

I want to use cork for the flooring in our kitchen remodel. Eco-friendly is really important for me and I also like the look of the cork. Yesterday I went to our local flooring dealer and picked up some samples. They only carry Torly's Cork Flooring and it does look great. Then, after doing some research I found it was produced in Canada and they had some disclaimers about the flooring if it was not produced in the USA. It seems that the eco-friendly certifications are different between the US and Canada.

That made me begin to wonder what it was that I need to look for with cork flooring. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good company to look at or what to look for to assure a truly eco-friendly product? I have looked at two sites: www.ecofriendlyfloors.com and www.greenbuilders.com. These both seem good, but again, how do I judge?

Comments (4)

• Confire
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm sorry canâÂÂt answer your question but here something else to consider with cork or laminates in the kitchen.

Make sure that it is suitable for wet areas. DonâÂÂt take a salesman or repâÂÂs word for it, read the manufactures recommendations or call them.

Most all will stand up to normal amount of âÂÂsplashingâ but not a large spill. Leaks are always possible from ice makers, dish washers, pot fillers as well as everything under the sink. Just sayin'

We have cork flooring in another part of the house and love it. ItâÂÂs quiet and feels warm on the feet in the winter.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

As far as the Eco certifications, I'm not sure exactly what to look for. Cork as a material is inherently ecofriendly as it is bark harvested from the tree without harming the tree, which then is replenished.

For the kitchen you are probably looking at glue down tiles. Easier to dig into in some ways because they are all cork, vs having a particleboard interior in a click plank that you also need to investigate.

Tiles are compressed cork. You should look at the wear layer/finish coat, which should be specified. I don't know which ones are more ecofriendly, but often that will be touted as an advantage. Also look at adhesive for install. Many I saw were water based and touted as ecofriendly.

Some companies I recall from searching are Wicanders, Torly (both considered very good from what I read, though I did not see any comprehensive list or ranking), Globus, expanko, USFloors, AmCork, WE Cork, APC cork, icorkfloor, and duro design.

• asovey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Williamsem! You gave me some very good info! I will follow up on some of those companies!

• mommasutton
    10 years ago

I did a lot of research then went to the flooring store. Got Wicanders floating cork flooring. So easy to install! Though they said it wasn't necessary, I added a coat of polyurethane on top. I love my cork floors! If they get a scratch, lightly sand and touch up with a little polyurethane. They handle splashes fine. I think any flooring short of vinyl will have problems if you have major flooding. They look beautiful and are super easy to maintain. A little wet Swiffer and I'm done. Get a good brand. The ones at Home Depot were crap; I could scrape them with my fingernail. Such a difference with the Wicanders. Good luck!