Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophie123_gw

Help! Crack in new Granite

sophie123
12 years ago

I had my new granite installed yesterday and obsessed about the top being smooth but never looked underside. I couldnt get in to take a closer look because they were finishing the floor but today after they left i see this:

topside is this:

They are coming to do another section of the kitchen so we aren't done yet and i know they have more of this granite (which is rare though). Do i need to demand replacement of the island countertop or is it repairable? It looks like 2 4" cracks to me and cracks are bad from what i read here.

This is so difficult!!!

Comments (12)

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Ask the granite people to have a look at it. There are evidently often grain lines & variations in granite, just an aspect of the natural stone, with streaks of varying minerals. Sometimes for the top side may get filled before polishing, but they aren't true cracks. Usually, the underside of the granite is less even & more natural. This may just be a natural part of the granite, not an actual crack -- even if it looks like a crack.

Our granite fabricators gave us a warranty on the granite & yours likely will, too -- I think they would want to be sure the granite was as sound as possible upon completion.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

sophie -

If your Fabricator is not complete - call it to his attention.

What you have are two fracture lines that could be fissures, or... the stone got flexed too much = what you have is cracks.

If it's a fissure (natural separation in the stone assembly) - it's repairable in the field. if it's a crack (caused by impact or stressing past it's modulous of rupture) - it should be replaced... This is MIA dictate.

THE GOOD NEWS IS - in EITHER SITUATION - many of these can be repaired - not all, but most.

Fissures - which happen NATURALLY (created by God) can open up when a piece of stone gets flexed. The fissure had to have been there when the block of stone was cut out of the quarry, so it was "pre-existing"...

Cracks - which happen when a piece gets "dropped", "bumped into" or "flexed" PAST it's breaking point, and there is NO prevailing fissure line in the area of the fracture. This happens as a result of damage

I'd do this if I were you -

Call your Fabricator and bring this issue to his attention. Give him an honest chance to react appropriately to the situation and make lemonade of what could be lemons.....

I'd need to see more pics to be sure either way of what you have there - what's the stone color name & thickness?

Were are the fractures located on the counters?

let us know ...

More Pics !!!!

HTH

kevin

• sophie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THanks so much for the responses! I will call granite place shortly.

The stone is persa blue and it is 3cm thick (standard depth). This is in an island along the left side edge. The crack (or fissure) appears to run about 6 inches inside the stone (at least 2 of them) to the edge around the edge and underneath ie it runs thru the depth of the stone and is not just a surface thing.

here is another picture underneath if it helps:

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

post a shot from a ways back that shows the whole island from above, then a closer one that shows the fracture from above with the surrounding stone..

These close ups that you have posted help, but I need to see the overall project from a farther distance in order to get a better understanding of what you are seeing.....

I want to see if you have other characteristics of the slab that can help deduce the cause of the issue.

Remember - we have to find out what's actually the"problem" before it can be "fixed".....

• sophie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The granite fabricator is sending someone tomorrow to take a look. Here are more pictores azstone ... hope this is what you were asking for - appreciate your insight.

here is overall picture. the fissure starts to the left of the electrical plug. You can see the change in color of the stone.

here is more of the top:

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

Sophie-

Thanks for the extra pics = based on your latest ones, it appears that you probably have a fissure there - which CAN BE REPAIRED IN PLACE using penetrating epoxy glue - I do this all the time with repairs here in AZ.... Fissure are NATURAL and they do occur in certain stones, so this issue can be resolved.....

IF you have a good Fabricator - he should be able to remedy this situation well...... I KNOW that I could.....

hth

kevin

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

That island color is FANTASTIC. You should let us see the whole thing!

• sophie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So i had a disappointing visit from the granite place. They said that it is natural and the way the stone is and there is nothing they can do it about it. Even the weird not shiny surfaces he blamed on water on the surface (to which i had a flash of anger but controlled myself). I asked about epoxy and he said he would have to gouge out the granite to do that it may make it worse. I thought i could expect a shiny surface - is that not true?

He left it that he would tell the office that i wasn't happy and they decide what to do. His only action to advise was to replace the top. Which i'm not sure it would help. I did pick the slab but expected it to be make acceptable for superficial problems - was i wrong?

Thanks Adrienne for nice comment - I will post bigger pictures shortly.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

I'm speechless !!!!

no I'm not.... I cant BELIEVE that the guy told you that - Who's doing your stone - "Larry, Mo & Curly"?

You are getting H O S E D !!!!!

Fissures can be glued in place and filled using penetrating epoxy and or the Plexus system - I know - I do this stuff all the time on stones that are all "fissured up" and the customer is willing to keep the piece....

This situation CAN BE RESOLVED.....
    WITHOUT the method that "Gomer" from "I-Dont-Have-A-Clue" Marble & Granite suggested - SHAME ON THEM !!!!

Sophie - People choose Natural Stones WITH Fissures in them every day - for use in their projects. Your "fabricator" is obviously painfully LACKING in the finessing skills required to work stones WITH fissures in them and be successful at the upper end of our Industry... This just smack of "lack of experience" on his part.

Where are you located?

• sophie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in the DC area. I haven't gotten a call from the "office" yet.

I really appreciate you cheering me on (and up)!

I don't think putting in another peice of granite is going to solve the problem as it probably will have the same conditions (same lot). Maybe i just need to hire someone separately to get it fixed right? I had a hard time finding the granite and that's how i ended up going with them.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

IF.... you have NOT paid in FULL - DO NOT !!!!!

Hold your money, and inform your Fabricator (Gomer) that if he can not fix the issue to your satisfaction, you will hire someone else that DOES know how to deal with this issue, and you will deduct the amount of the fix from what you owe "Gomer".....

This is pretty clear cut and straight forward.......

DC ???

Like My good friend - Florida Joshua - I do make house calls too !!! LOL

kevin

• mcmurphy1
    12 years ago

Seems to me they should have told you they noticed the fissure before fabrication began. I'm not happy with my granite company, but they did call a the 11th hour to tell me they found a spot that had been filled at the quarry and would be in my countertop. We were able to reaarange and avoid the bad spot. Sound like great advice to try another fabricator. Good luck!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery