Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Should I add an edge detail to my modified Shaker door?

ontariomom
9 years ago

So if one were to choose a modified Shaker door that fit a transitional decor (maybe leaning a bit closer to traditional) would you choose a door with an out door edge detail or would you keep the outer edge plain? I have poured through many different beautiful kitchens here on GW using painted white cabinets or stained cabinets (we will have both) and don't see too many outer edge door details (although maybe they are not showing up in the photos?) Yet, the plain rounded edges with no routed edges do seem a bit plain in real life to me.

Also, would you consider a door that had slightly different sized rails vs the stiles? Scherr's, where we are ordering the cabinets from, has a door that has a taller rail vs stile? The rail is 3 inches and the stile is 2 3/8th inch. There other shakerish option we are considering from Scherr's has a consistent rail/stile size which is 2 3/8th inch (it does seem narrow to me)?

I don't know how to upload pictures from the Scherr's website but the doors we are considering are door style number 100 and 101 I have linked Scherr's website below. However, here is a similar door from HD that does have a slight edge detail and a slight bump in the inner edge (don't know the term). It is Shakerish. What do you think?

Thank you in advance for any style tips you can provide that will allow me to get this last cabinet decision off my list.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherr's website showing actual doors

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:35

Comments (32)

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I was planning on getting a straight edge, but my husband didn't like it. We went with the Marion style by Omega Dynasty and I'm glad we did. We're vintage and you wouldn't have seen this in a house like ours, but I like it. Here's a close-up:

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Sorry, looks like I lost the word "house". We're in a modest 1929 house. The kitchen is new square footage that we added a couple years ago.

• enduring
    9 years ago

This is my kitchen remodel from 2011. I got an eased outer edge on my rails and stiles door. The door started out shaker style then I had a double something or other, on the inner edge, so that it was a step, a round over, then a step.

Eased edge:

Inner rail and stile detail:

Overall look:

• Fori
    9 years ago

We did something like that Geneva on our last one. It made the doors less boxy. (What I really wanted was old-fashioned lipped semi-inset doors...which nobody does, probably for good reason, but I at least wanted the edges more curvy.) Bad photo:

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate the pictures everyone, and the descriptions too as something as small as the edge detail is hard to see in some photos. My cabinets will be frameless if that matters. Also, the drawers will be 5 piece recessed panels as well. So, if I do the edge detail on the doors, I will do the same on the drawers.

Carol

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

We also did an edge detail on our Shaker like cabinets when we remodeled earlier this year. This isn't a great photo, but I believe you can see the detail

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Anne for the picture. Nice cabinet. Are your edges on the outer edge of the cabinet doors as I can't make out the outer detail? I see you have an inner bevel or step of some sort where the recessed part of door meets the frame part of the door.

Carol

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Hi Carol
    I may have misunderstood your question. The outer edges are squared off - I think is what it is called. The detail is the bevel you mentioned

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

OM- we went through the same decision a few months ago. Ultimately I decided on a plain true shaker style because I love the crisp clean edges. We did however do the 5 piece style on all the drawer fronts, even the top drawers, and now that it's installed I'm so glad I did that because I love the look of it. In order to do this on the shorter top drawers our designer planned for a smaller rail on those drawers, and it looks great. The panel looks very proportional and there is plenty of room for the hardware pull.

To mix things up I did add quarter round molding detail in the bathrooms, and that looks nice too. It looks like the inner panel fori posted above.

pics:
    [img]

[/img]

bath: [img]

[/img]

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Anne,

Thanks for the clarification on the outer edge. Your cabinets and floors look lovely.

@illinigirl,

That white kitchen looks great! Good decision on the drawers (we hope to do the same).I wish I was at your stage of building. So, in the bath you have an inner edge detail (where flat panel meets outer frame) right? It is hard to tell from the picture on the bath, but you don't have an outer edge detail do you?

I have an unrelated question. In your kitchen, you have a fancy toe kick in front of the stove which is beautiful. Is it much of an issue for sweeping, cleaning etc under the fancy toe kick? I have a glass cabinet over two ovens in my plan that sits proud a few inches like yours, and wondered about a fancy toe kick too.

Carol

• brightm
    9 years ago

On your sizing of the rails and stiles question:

I was debating back and forth between Innermost's Kingston and Kendall.

Kendall has 2 1/4" rails and stiles, and all drawers are 5 piece. But on all top drawers and second and third drawers in my one 4-drawer stack, the horizontal ones (rails?) are a bit smaller (doesn't say in spec book how much more, but they're visibly smaller).

Kingston has 2 3/4" rails and stiles, and drawers up to 8 11/16"h are slab front.

In the end, even though it sort of bugged me about the difference in the widths, I decided I liked it better than an abundance of different drawers--some slab and some 5-piece. I didn't mind the top drawer slab, but that 4-drawer stack, I didn't like.

Actually, in the end, what probably helped also was that Kendall was less expensive...so I went that way. Helped justify going up to Cherry from Maple. ;)

Our house is MCM/transitional, so the less detail the better. Shaker was already a compromise. Hard to believe that Mr. Modern wanted them over slab front. But I think since the three homes where we've spent most of our lives independently and together having flat front cabinets (this home, his parents home that they just recently sold, and the house I grew up in that we lived in together for a while) aided in that decision. I think he thought no detail=cheap. He fell in love with a kitchen at Lowe's with simple shaker doors, and that was it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Innermost doors

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks cal_quail for your help. I think you made a good decision when the drawer fronts were factored in. We are able to get 5 piece drawer fronts for all but one of our most shallow drawers.

All,

So, it seems many who did Shaker or Modified Shaker doors did not have any outer door/drawer edge detail.

As per stile/rail width, do you think it is best to have a consistent stile/rail size for the doors (drawers will differ but that is not a concern)? Our options for the doors are consistent 2 3/8" stile/rail width or 3 inch rail together with 2 3/8 stile.

Anyone else able to post a photo of their modified shaker doors? Can you tell me if there is any outer edge detail and the width of your rail and stile.

Carol

• Fori
    9 years ago

I did all my drawers exactly the same as the doors. If I did some slab doors I would do all, because the inconsistency bothers me. No shallow drawers for me I guess! My lower cabinets were mostly frameless full overlay (the uppers were more framed, ish, because that's how the cabinet guy liked to do light rails and stuff).

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks great, fori and thanks for posting the picture. If you had not posted a cabinet close up earlier in the thread, I would have guessed you chose no outer detail on the doors/drawers. You really can't see any edges from the wider kitchen photo you posted above. That makes me think others may have chosen an outer edge detail that is not showing up on the photos.

Carol

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

What a great post since I also was wondering if the outer edge details were just not showing up in the pictures. I love shaker style cabinet doors and drawers and I also like modified ones.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

Carol,
    Thank you! Yes, the bathroom cabinets have the inner edge detail. None of my cabinets have any outer edge detail. I've never seen that before I don't think. The inner edge (quarter round molding) is pretty subtle, yes.

I'm not moved in yet so I can't say about the cleaning under the furniture style toe kick, but I am a little worried about it! I think it could be a spot where crumbs and dust collect. I do have a canister vacuum that has teeny tiny attachments (a tiny hose a little larger in diameter than a pencil). So I do have tools that can reach in there, but I'm sure that it will be more work than if I had a standard toe kick. Same deal in the bathroom. Definitely something to consider.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

illinigirl,

Well the beauty of your oven cabinet, has me convinced to add a special toe kick too despite the extra clean-up hassle that you and I will not love.

I was surprised you had never seen the outer edge detail on cabinets (see the first cabinet I posted from Home Depot as it has an outer edge detail). Maybe it is more common in Canada. Nevertheless, I am most likely going to do cabinets like you did for the bath (slight inner edge detail and squared outer edge).

Good luck finishing the last details. I remember when you were first posting your plans.

Carol

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I think mine are a step towards traditional, we still wanted flat panel, but not so plain as shaker. I dont know what to call all the details, but here is what it looks like.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Illigirl, can you show us a pulled out drawer in your corner cabinet since I like how you did that area for the corner. I really dislike my blind corner cabinet that is above but I see you have windows there so you do not have that problem. I currently have 2 Lazy Susan's in my builder grade cabinets and maybe I would want drawers instead like you in one or both corners. I love your kitchen!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOTM,

Those doors are beautiful. Thanks for posting them.

lynn2006,

Google search the word KornerKing and you will find a good solution for corner roll-outs that are far cheaper than actual corner drawers. If you search GW for KornerKing you will also find some reviews.

Illinigirl,

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but do you have straignt toe kick behind the fancy oven toe kick. I figured that would limit how far dirt, pieces of lego etc could travel under the cabinet. Thanks for your help.

Carol

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

One thing that hasn't been brought up is that a sharp 90ð outer edge on a door will receive lots more damage than a slight bevel or rounding of that outer edge. It can have the paint wear off, the edge nicked, and water damage far more than an edge that isn't so sharp. If a line offers it, I'll always recommend doing some type of edge that isn't a 90ð. It doesn't have to be dramatic, or take away from the simple Shaker aesthetic, but a small bevel or rounding of the outer edges of the doors and drawers makes the cabinets live much better over time.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, as always, live_wire_oak, you give good advice. We were thinking of edge profile K from Scherr's. Is that enough of a rounding to protect the paint and stain of the cabinets or do you see another outer edge profile that would be a better choice. Please open link to see the edge choices from Scherr's. I would so appreciate your input.

I happy to learn after DH spoke to Scherr's that we can upgrade to a 3 inch stile and 3 inch rail for our cabinet doors. I think that will look beefier.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: outer edge profiles

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

A wider bottom rail on doors is most authentically shaker. "beefier" on all stiles and rails is a craftsman-style detail.
    And use the smallest roundover profile on the edges. 1/8" diameter.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

Lynn2006- yes, I will grab a photo when I get there later today. The entire cabinet is angled compared to the other runs.

Carol
    yes there is a toe kick behind the furniture style piece, so the dirt or toys will not get lost under there forever :) Thanks for posting the outer edge details. I never paid attention to those before. I think my edges are fairly crisp but I'd have to look closer to see if they are rounded at all. I'll try to get closer up photos of it.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sombreuil_mongrel for your post. I didn't know that having wider bottom rails and narrow stiles was true Shaker. Good to know if we go with 3 inches on both the stiles and rails we will be craftsman style. I do like the look of the beefier frames. We saw that look in one high end kitchen and were very happy that Scherr's could accommodate that request.

I checked the Scherr's site again and they offer a 5/32 diameter roundover profile (profile K) which is very close to your 1/8' diameter recommendation. Hopefully, that will offer enough paint chip and stain scuffing protection as mentioned by live_wire_oak.

Carol

• 821sheldon
    9 years ago

@illinigirl.....we are ordering the same cabinets..shaker doors. Did you get the edges smooth or are they just "sharp"??? I can't tell from the pictures! Thanks!!

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

illinigirl, can you share your backsplash tile? I've been looking for that look.

• Ann Birner
    8 years ago

My current cabinetry is Shaker style with a plain, squared off inset. We are moving to a condo. I like the Shaker look but our cabinet maker said we should have a slight bevel because I told him low maintenance is important, and dirt will not get stuck in there as it does in a truly square Shaker style inset. Anyone have experience to confirm that? I am looking at my current cabinets and there does seem to be a little dirt stuck in the corners but it's not very obvious - but they are natural wood. However, our new cabinets will be white.

• mayflowers
    8 years ago

My Shaker doors have a slight bevel and I've never had to Q-tip the corners in four years.

• cagirl1314
    3 years ago

I know this post is many years later, but ontariomom, I’m deciding on the same thing (outer edge detail vs a slightly rounded edge). Can you please share a picture of what you ultimately decided? Thank you!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for the delay in answering. We bought our doors and cabinets from Scherr's (love this company btw). We chose the series 100 doors as seen in this link. Good luck. Scherr's cabinet doors