Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justadncr

Best advice from this forum

justadncr
16 years ago

I was just thinking about what all I have learned from this forum and was trying to think of what was the most valuable advice.

I really think it was the advice to actually lay the kitchen out on the ground outside with all the measurements and walk around it to see if it felt right.

For me it was much better than plans on paper. I took my measurements and scraps of wood and laid them out in the various plans I had come up with.

My husband thought I was crazy standing out there pretending I was cooking and getting stuff out of the frig and such.

Of course I learned many, many more things but this helped the most.

What about you all?

Comments (153)

• fausta76
    16 years ago

what a great thread!

does anybody have a picture of the drawer base cabinets? I'm having a hard time figuring it out -- is this like having all pot drawers throughout the bottom? I'm concerned how that would look.....

• andi956
    16 years ago

Great thread. Thanks. I am just getting to start a very humble project and have just added a few things to my list. (You can read more re my plans--now a bit changed--at 3 years for Kitchen Reno?)

One question...someone noted "the virtues of pulls vs knobs."

I currently have knobs...what are the virtues of each??? Didn't realize there were any.

Thanks

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

hmmm I'd have to say the best advice I've gotten from the forum is just the wealth of ideas people can throw out there. Often times I'd find myself rejecting an idea someone had but then using it some way in something later.

Also just learning all the lingo was great. When the contractor asked if I wanted plugmold I didn't go "huh?" I said "YES" - heck before visiting this forum I didn't know what the word "backsplash" meant. I think by being knowledgable before talking to the contractor it helps a lot.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Drawer Bases

Drawer bases are simply base cabinets with all drawers rather than doors. Here's a picture of the what mine are supposed to look like. All bases except the small ones flanking the cooktop and the corner sink are drawer bases. Notice the one on the far left is a 3-drawer base, the one on the far right is a 4-drawer base, and the others are a combination of drawers and appliances (left-to-right: warming drawer, cooktop, MW Drawer)

To see "real life" drawer bases, check out the Finished Kitchens Blog and look at the closeups of just about any kitchen and you will see drawer bases.

Knobs vs Pulls

There have been several discussions of knobs vs pulls. Some comments:

* Knobs on base cabinets can catch on clothing (and rip sometimes).

* Cabinets/drawers w/pulls can usually be opened w/one finger...even the pinky finger.

If you search the Forum you will probably find several discussions on this topic (sometimes embedded in other topics!)

HTH!

• houscrzy
    16 years ago

I learned so, so, so much from these forums--I basically consulted these forums for almost every decision in a whole house remodel. I really don't know what I would have done without them! The two things that stand out for me (and that I didn't see mentioned above)

--Susan Jablon glass tile. Everyone who comes in my house walks up to my backsplash and has to touch it. I had just about given up the idea of a glass tile backsplash before finding out about her site on this forum. The price of her tile, even with shipping, was about half of what I could have bought it for locally and it is gorgeous!

--reading about internet retailers and great products on here gave me the confidence to go ahead and order a lot of items (like the Ticor sink) on line. I never would have done that sight unseen without all the helpful feedback here. And I had essentially universally a good experience with all of the on line retailers.

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

finding out that I didn't have to have my air gap (the overflow thingy for the dishwasher). I live in CA and it is code. Easy way around that if you need to pass code inspection is to drill the hole for air gap... pop it on for inspection and when they've gone take off the air gap and pop on your soap dispenser. Then put the loop in the hose at the back of your diswasher... VOILA te he

Best things

No sockets/switches in backsplash (under cabinet plug strip)

Toe kick on trash pop out BUT... ADD a second spring to add power to the pop (thank you for whoever mentioned this ingenious bit of info)

Drawers instead of cupboards... so easy/convenient/tidy

Slow close and bluemotion bits on uppercupboards

My double layered cutlery drawer (secret drawer within a drawer)

What to look for when choosing undercabinet lighting eg... reflection, spread of light, color of light, heat...

Knobs vs handles

Benefits of a large farmhouse sink

Miele dishwasher - superb

Thermador cooktop and all the controversy about the popup draft and how I could get away with not having one. THANK YOU!

Miele warming drawer FANTASTIC and thank you for making me realise that it doesn't have to be on the floor under the oven!!!

BEST ADVICE (even though I'd already done it because I'm pedantic!) PLAN YOUR STORAGE SPACE. measure boxes, measure food processer, mixer, stack of plates etc etc. then make a note of contents in the drawers or cupboards on your plans or diagrams or in your notes.

Plug stip under center island.

I think I'll stop now!

Thank you, thank you, thank you

• katmandu_2008
    16 years ago

soonermagic, are you gone? Wondering if you could share name / contact info for you Seattle kitchen designer? I am planning mine here in Seattle. LOVE your kitchen, hope you are happy living there!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Katmandu,
    You might try posting on the link below.
    Soonermagic started this post a few days ago, so I'm sure you can connect with her over there.
    Lots of pics of Soonermagic's house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soonermagic - Help: Photo shoot at MY house THIS week

• katmandu_2008
    16 years ago

napagirl - thanks! I am new here so a bit slow but I did search a bit and found out what soonermagic's countertops are. I will still follow up at the link you provided. Thanks!

• andi956
    16 years ago

Re the lowdown on knobs v pulls. I found some threads but they didn't answer that q. I hadn't thought about knobs on base cabinets ripping my clothes. Luckily that hasn't happened yet!

Thanks.

• earlygirl44
    16 years ago

this is one of the first threads I read , found it somehow through google - really opend my eyes to whats happening in the remodel world and so I'm bumping it back into play

for myself, the best advice, so far ( we are the very begining )

YOU ARE NOT ALONE- PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT YOUR CD FRIDGE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU
    and it's OK to really take your time with your decisions

• california_dreamer
    16 years ago

1. Drawers instead of pull outs
    2. Orca single sink
    3. All the layout advice!
    4. Pot rack in upper cabinet (I think this idea was from loves2cookfor6??)
    5. Electrical outlet inside a drawer for a charging station

I would not have most of the things I love about my new kitchen without the help of the people on this forum!

• cambro5
    16 years ago

A neat idea I saw yesterday was filling in the gap between the fridge and the cupboard above it with some leftover filler and a piano hinge. Can't remember who posted it. Very clever idea - especially since I am getting a fridge 'hole' bigger than I need as our present fridge is quite small and I'll want to upgrade eventually! This might make it look less out of proportion.

I am also regretting my decision to get laminate floors, but my budget is blown and hardwood is out of the question!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Cambro...where did you see this idea? Just yesterday we discovered that we may have a significant gap b/w the top of the refrigerator & the bottom of the cabinet above. Our contractor is just going to use filler to hide the gap, but if we put it on hinges it would actually become usable space!

I'd love to see a picture or at least read a discussion about this idea...

TIA!

• cambro5
    16 years ago

Buehl, I don't know where I saw it!! If your contractor is already going to do it, ask him to attach it with a piano hinge! I definitely plan to! You can search the site, but I honestly have surfed around here so much in the last week since finding it that I couldn't begin to guess where I saw it! good luck!

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

-knife drawer (I hated that block)
    -never-mt
    -gel stain
    -all the lighting options, under/over/inside/outside...
    -so many countertop options that I'm already planning my next remodel..yes I said the next one!

Everyday I have something new to do!

Plus just the feeling of knowing that you have somewhere to go when it feels like everything is going wrong! thanks!

• shoregirl_veggie
    16 years ago

Soonermagic,
    I'm wondering if you might provide me with your KD in Seattle?
    We, too, have an architect designing our remodel. I've been concerned that his kitchen/mudroom design skills may not be as exceptional as his architectural skills. Reading your post confirmed my fears.
    This is my very first post --I've been lurking for a while.
    Thanks so much for your assistance!

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Just discovered this and am bumping it up. Great ideas!

• clinresga
    15 years ago

bump again

• malhgold
    15 years ago

bumping up for soonermagic to provide her KD's info. Thanks!!

• teddychicago
    15 years ago

bump

• beachbum
    15 years ago

bump

• cambro5
    15 years ago

1 - Getting rid of my ugly phone jack and getting a phone that doesn't need one!

2 - How to get rid of the drip inside my oven door - with a hanger and a sock going up through the holes at the bottom of the door. Worked like a charm!

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

bump

great thread. we are getting ready to embark on a kitchen remodel and this information is great. Wish it was organized a little like different. i.e. places to get the recommended sinks, tap masters etc. but will take all the help we can get. Our budget is $60K on this kitchen (not including labor) and I'm finding it does not go nearly as far as I thought. We are going to really have to shop the items to come in on budget.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Does anyone have a great idea for a wall pantry? Pull out shelves, drawers, what do you think?

• vadefeo
    15 years ago

bump

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Best advice:

1) Get a spine when talking to GC about his version vs. my version of cleaning up the jobsite each day (aka our home).

2) Use masking tape and a measuring tape and make a mock up of where your new cabinets will go. This is a biggie!

3) Microfibre cloths for granite and appliances

4) Dimmer switches! I put them on ALL of the new lighting, including the patio lights adjacent, and have not regretted it once.

5) Blanco silgranit sink. Never even heard of one before GW.

While I'm at it, THANKS everyone for the great advice!

• jodierd
    15 years ago

Wow! We will be breaking ground on our new house in Septmember and while I have done a tremendous amount of research in great detail and have picked most things, there is so much to learn. This forum is a godsend, and this thread has made me aware of, well let's see, eight things to look into. THANKS!
    My tip at this early stage is in organization of all this research. I am using One Note, a Microsift product. It essentially brings together everything into a digital notebook. So I scan photos (directly from it) onto my kitchens notebook page, ctrl C copy photos from the Internet-and it brings the URl with them so I can get back to the site right from my kitchens page. I can draw, move stuff, click and add things to do to my Outlook tasks.
    hjat's most helpful is I can collect a ton of things and then move stuff around, with the winning cabinet, light fixtures, etc all togethr so I can quickly print a page or two and have them in ahnd to go shopping. I did that with the cabinetmaker the other day.
    Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Ticor sinks: Ticor Sinks at Galaxy Tool Supply: http://www.galaxytoolsupply.com/category_s/58.htm
    I think this plus their eBay site are the only places to get them reasonably priced...but there may others, Google "Ticor" + the model you're looking for.

Tapmaster®: Tapmaster®: http://www.tapmaster.ca/
    I don't know if there are other places to get these from...again, Google it!

Never-MT: Never-MT: http://custominserts-store.stores.yahoo.net/nevsoapandlo.html
    I think this is the only place you can get one from.

Pop up Outlets: Popup Mocketts: http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?ID=469
    There may be other vendors/sellers, use Google. (Pufp?)

Plugmold®/Power Strips:

There may be other vendors/sellers, use Google.

Have you noticed that "Google" (or other search engine) is your "new best friend"? :-)

Note: One reason people haven't specified where they got things is that most things are available many places. Another reason is that you have to be careful not to "advertise" or promote a business on this site.

• christmasbaby
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I just registered here after doing lots of lurking. Six years ago we added on and remodeled our home to bring my mom to live with us. I lurked so much then and everyone was so helpful. Mom is now 92 and we decided to go ahead with the kitchen remodel. We put it off for many reasons, but are now in the planning phase for a Spring 09 remodel. We want to take plenty of time and do it right. I just spent the last 2+ hours reading this thread and want to echo the thanks to all who have posted and given of themselves so selflessly.

I want to bump this thread back up since we will be making lots of decisions in the next few months and want to see if anyone else wants to jump in the discussion.

I will start a thread with pictures of our late 1950Âs kitchen and plans and thoughts we have so far. I look forward to getting to know you all better as I become an active member of the Garden Web.

Thanks,
    Terri

• arlocat
    15 years ago

It is about 3 years since our kitchen was completed. I still like our aeshetic choices but from a practical stand point there are 2 things that I am especially pleased with:
    1. My big single sink.
    2. Our Vac Pan. Ours is hooked up to a wet/dry vac in the basement because we do not have central vac. The idea came from this forum and our electrician and contractor figured out how to make it happen.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

DIY on gel stain.
    Thanks Celticmoon and Projectsneverend.

-Lena

• toddimt
    15 years ago

I visited the forums a while back and got all of this great advise then. Now I am looking to actually do something in my kitchen and I realized how many great ideas I forgot. So I am bumping this up for others.

• bicklehoff
    15 years ago

well, i would just like to say that after I have checked CR and other review sites that I come here for the final scoop. All you folks who contribute make this the BEST place to get accurate, up to date, helpful, time and money saving info. on all sorts of home ideas. Thanks! to all of you!

• holligator
    15 years ago

Here's a bump before this great thread scrolls off the board...

Oh, and I'll add my favorite advice, too:

-More drawers!
    -Soapstone, getting it, finding the right fabricator right here, and caring for it
    -where to find a deal on saddle stools
    -NeverMT
    -Ticor sinks from galaxytoolsupply.com
    -Kohler Vinnata
    -lots of great general layout advice, too

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Not to put my cooktop on my island.

• terri23
    15 years ago

Bump...

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

I was just searching for this thread because I needed that picture of Dmlove's cord hole thingy (what would you call it?), and found that the thread had rolled off (it's in the "keep on page one" directions), so I figure I'll bump it - I re-read a bunch of it because I've just started my renovation, and it's good to review this stuff.

I'm a little scared, though, because of igloochick's advice - I am going on vacation during my renovation. Yikes!

Also, it's funny to see how much I didn't remember reading, but I've actually done, like post a picture/drawings of things I want done, and make a list of all my categories of stuff and where they will go in the new kitchen.

I'd say some of the best advice I got was around my budget and how to make the hard decisions on what should stay in and what should go (that was from Beuhl).

(1) What is not that important to me and doesn't add functionality? [Candidate for elimination altogether]

(2) What can I do at a later date? [Candidate for deferring until a later date]

(3) What can't be done at a later date and I can't live without? [Candidate for keeping and doing now]

I think everyone should ask and answer those 3 questions - even if money is no object - so that they know their priorities.

Lynne

• lindalp
    14 years ago

bump

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Lingo and terms.
    It's hard to describe things in 3D.
    This forum got me to see how many people manage to communicate about terms.
    Most people can't imagine easily in 3D, so communicating about it is much harder than I thought.
    I'm more able now to go slow when talking and listening.
    I haven't learned the master woodworker's vocabulary, I just go slow through each step of the talk.
    This forum helped me see which terms are worth using, and which can be saved for later.
    This forum helped me get clearer communication going.

Tweaking and innovating.
    I tweaked everything in my kitchen along the way.
    This forum helped me justify personal innovations.
    This forum confirmed ideas.
    There were many instances of positive reinforcement.
    Resistance could be expressed when I raised ideas; it all helped to refine the concept.
    A couple gave me their best shot at "ridicule".
    It meant my idea had disturbed their paradigm, and this confirmed that the idea was solid on its own.

This forum got me to see all of the above 157 posts.
    E.g. how drawers are ergonomic AND greater storage than base cabinets.

• sunnyflies
    14 years ago

I am planning a kitchen with ease of use and cleaning in mind, so reading through this has been such fun. It's made me look up and bookmark a number of things.

I have been hesitating over my design as I have not been happy with any layout so far for my problematic kitchen, and each KD just asks me what I want (a new idea would be good) rather than offering any fresh suggestions. Sigh. But, this thread has given me new impetus to get to work again. Thanks!

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I don't know if I would have a remodeled kitchen if it weren't for this forum. I would have still been looking at the dreadful old one wishing it was nice and not knowing how to get it nice. Even the ideas & photos of things I didn't want for me helped to define what I did want. My new kitchen came in well under budget and I'm glad to have it. The drawers aren't all I had hoped they'd be but it's taking some time to get organized so maybe after a while I will like them more. I hope in a couple more weeks I will have everything in a usable spot. I can't thank everyone enough for all the ideas, pictures, advice and "toys" I read here. Who knew someone in the middle of an Iowa cornfield had a $653 fireclay sink! No granite, though. Formica through and through.
    I have to give credit to my carpenter, too. He made the things I wanted happen and the things I didn't have ideas about happen, too. There was a time when his eyes rolled when I said, "but the people on the kitchen forum say......." But I had photos and conversations printed off to show him what I meant. It was quick and painless and now I'm playing in it! Thank you gardenweb kitchens!

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Among others, Lisalists organized drawers where the dividers go from front to back or side to side so you don't have to nest objects-and you can fit so much stuff in. Easy easy access. No nesting. Yay

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I learn new things here every day, so this is just a ''so far'' list:

- Layout, efficiency. This has to be the most important thing I've been learning here. What tasks do you perform, what zones will you organize them in, what items do you need close at hand in each zone, how does traffic between and through zones flow. etc.
    - Styles, materials, looks. People here have great ''eyes'' for style and looks. My eyes have been opened to these looks, and I've learned the vocabulary to describe them.
    - Specific ideas/features I learned about here that seem like they'll be useful: prep sinks, base cabinet drawers, counter top materials other than granite, true convection ovens, unfitted kitchens, under-counter refrigeration.

• tkingny
    14 years ago

After all of these posts about drawers, I'd love to see some pictures. Can those of you who love your kitchen drawers post some pictures?

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Many things, one of which is using a 13-15" depth cabinet for inset cabinets, as 12 is not sufficient.

• morgne
    14 years ago

I just wanted to be the 150th poster. Lol!

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

bumping again, finding so many great ideas!

• djfiler
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think I read every post ever on gardenweb/houzz during my kitchen remodel.

Best thing for me? A heads up on barker RTA cabinets. Doing everything DIY and with a challenging room layout, I really needed to make the most out of every inch of space. Custom cabinets were a necessity because standard widths would waste a ton of space. Barker allowed me to spec everything to the 0.25" without needing to find a good priced and reputable local custom cabinet maker. I didn't have to worry about price surprises or problems with miscommunication. Well that and the fact that the barker cabinets are spectacular looking and solid. Thanks gardenweb!