Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling height dilemma

Posted by mothandbee (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 20:28

So we are adding on a 14x16 kitchen past the current 14x9 kitchen, which will become the dining area. This existing room has a flat ceiling, and we had originally had the new construction kitchen with a vaulted ceiling. I thought my scope of work included replacing the existing ceiling to match. However, after talking to the GC, he says that was not part of the quote, and that there would be some extra cost if i wanted to match the ceilings.

I have seen lots of room where the kitchen has a flat ceiling and is attached or open to a great room with a vaulted ceiling, but not one where the DR is flat ceiling and kitchen is vaulted- and this is essentially all one room. Plus, once I started looking at pictures of lighting in vaulted ceiling kitchens I realized that some looked great while others look not so great.

My concerns if I leave the kitchen ceiling vaulted and DR flat ceiling.

pros-
may make dining area seem more cozy?/ more like a separate room
will work with light fixture I want from
don't have to worry about ceilings lining up ( new construction attached to existing old, warped walls)
less money & demolition

cons
look weird?
more money & demolition
may be a bump where two ceilings meet that would have to be covered with trim/beam something

I prefer to save money and demolition, but
I can't tell if it will seem strange..

What would you do? I need to make a decision soon. DH says go flat all the way.
Thanks~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling height dilemma

Can you post a floor plan so we can visualize it better?

Laura

o
RE: ceiling height dilemma

Because I only wanted one dining area in my new build, but wanted it to read more formal, I intentionally designed a flat-ceiling dining room which sits between my vaulted kitchen ceiling and my vaulted living room. I think it works really well -- defines the space as dining rather than an extension of the kitchen.

That said, think about how you will feel 6 months after the remodel is complete -- will you say, "damn, I wish we'd just vaulted the dining room when we had the chance," because, if so, do it now when everything is going to be a mess anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here