Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (4)

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

That is very similar to what I'm planning for my kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

I like what seems to be a pastry rolling/kneading area on the right of the frig.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Lovely OTK, but definitely not "vintage", at least not vintage Vermont.

My late MIL's truly vintage VT kitchen definitely did not have a stainless mega fridge with ice and water through the door, nor was there any vent hood over either her electric stove or her wood-burning cookstove. She definitely did not have a pro-style range; but she was a pro at running her wood-burning, nickel-trimmed,cast-iron, Stewart Range that also heated her hot water.

In fact, her fridge was in another room altogether (a cold storage room), through two doors: the primary one and either a storm or screen depending one the season. Just like going through an exterior doorway, which is precisely what it was, originally. The store room with fridge and freezer had a dirt floor.

She did have a genuinely vintage soapstone sink, however; a work table and a low marble bread-kneading/pie-rolling counter (which has since come to live with us at our farm in NY).

All her cupboards (not cabinets) were site built w/o a toe kick and in unfinished pine. The floor was vinyl tile over a cement slab with LL Bean & Vermont Country Store rag rugs strewn about for warmth.

She had 12" diameter log beams in the ceiling that were only squared off on two sides; the walls were unfinished T&G pine which by the time I encountered them were deep honey-coloured.

The lighting was floor and table lamps and wall sconces. Even the sink had only a single-bulb wall lamp (with shade) to illuminate (if you could call it that) your work.

If she had ever priced those Perrin & Rowe bridge faucets she would have been flabbergasted that anyone would ever consider paying nearly $1K for water taps. Hers was a standard chrome-plated, wall mount with a long reach and soap dish perched atop it. No sprayer. She used a somewhat battered round aluminum dishpan for washing up. There was no DW.

The only stainless item in the kitchen was the 4-gallon dairy bucket intended to collect food scraps for the chickens. She kept the long dasher for her butter churn mounted in broom-handle spring hooks above the door to the cold room.

L.