Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pantry Remodel

Posted by Errant (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:24

We have a small pantry (if you can call it that) off the dining area that's in a nook under the stairs. It is a nightmare, but was way down on the list of things that needed to be done to this foreclosure we bought 3 years ago. We are just about finished building a bulk storage room off the laundry room, so I've finally emptied it and am ready to get cracking!

It looks to have originally been a coat closet, then a PO added these snazzy shelves out of 2x8s. Go ahead, laugh! I did every time I opened the door! And yes, that is the original carpet, which will be leaving shortly :o

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pantry Remodel

I'd be bursting with happiness to have that space available anywhere near my kitchen. No laughing here.

Except maybe at the carpet. ;)

o

That carpet looked like that in the living room, as well *gag*

Shelves are out! OMG that was wayyyyyy more difficult than it looked! Check out this massive pile of framing nails:

o

When you wrote PO the first thing that popped in my head was Piece Of.... :D. Took me a second to realize you meant previous owner.
The shelves may not have been pretty but at least they were secure. :)

o

Heck yeah, those were secure! Those nails were a POS (there you go, Gem!) to remove! I smashed my fingers a few times, have a couple of splinters, and even managed to fling myself out the door once or twice LOL

Now that they are out, I see that I'm going to have to do some drywall work. I was really hoping to just be able to paint and start building shelves today, but the corners of the room aren't taped and finished. Maybe I can just fill them with painter's caulk? It is just a pantry, right? Or would that be a big No No?

This post was edited by Errant on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:49

o

While I'm waiting on drywall mud to dry so that I can paint, I'm trying to figure out shelving. I like the looks of this little pantry:
I can't have anything on the left wall, as the door is all the way at the edge. The right wall has only about 6" of space between it and the door. The closet is 44" wide and 41.5" deep. That back wall starts to slope up with the stairs at 5', so I can't go very tall.

What do you think would be the most efficient use of such a small space? Any recommendations on types of shelving? I've seem white melamine shelf boards at my local HD, but nothing less than 12" deep.

o

Hey, what happened to my inspiration pic? I'll give it another try!

o

That's better :) This is a pic from Houzz, but there isn't any info on the dimensions of the pantry or manufacturer of the shelves.

I like the simple white shelves in this pic. I don't think I will put faces on mine, though, as I hate trying to fit tall items into shelves with them. This pantry makes me wonder if I could get away with 4" shelves on the left

Oh, I've decided I don't want adjustable shelves. Once I have them where I want them, I know I would never bother to change them.

I think I'm also going to forget about the melamine shelves, and just do mine out of painted wood. I can't find melamine in the depths I want, and I really don't want to mess with trimming and edging melamine boards.

Tonight I'm hoping to be able to do my last sanding of drywall so that I can paint the walls :)

o

Space is space! Lucky you! I bet it's going to look great when you are done. What color paint did you choose for the walls? Are you sticking with white (like your walls outside the pantry) or are you going to go for a pop of color?

o

I'll have 6"deep (might have gone with 5.25"...we went back and forth while designing) cabinets on each side of my island. I wanted more 'pantry' storage and I wasn't sure if those shelves would be useable. So I taped off that dimension at the end of my peninsula and kept trying different things in it. It's a VERY useful size, I think. I'll let you know for sure...hopefully soon. I asked a question about narrow shelves and got some nice info/help/pics, but I can't seem to find a link to it. Will look later. Gotta work.

o

We have a very similar pantry under the stairs. It originally only had 24" deep shelves in the back where everything got lost. DH cut the wood shelves back to 12" and then put wire racks on the side walls. Not super pretty, but works for me. The racks are different heights to accommodate the sloping ceiling. The broom & mop fit behind the door.

photo Pantry.jpg

o

Annac54's pantry looks like it would fit the bill! Do the basket-style rack on the right side...we had this in our old tiny pantry and it was perfect.

There really isn't room on the left for shelves or even shallow baskets and still let you get to the back corner easily, but how about pegboard or a grid system? Besides hanging a skinny stepstool (keep things off the floor!) broom and dustpan or Swiffer, or utensils, you could clip instructions and small packets.

o

You know what is jumping out at me in both AnnaC54's and the inspiration pic? Nice lighting. Be sure to do that.

Love the pegboard idea.

o

Great space.
I hope you put in adjustable shelves. Absolutely essential. You can always use more shelves in a pantry than you expect to need

I would do this in the corners.
The linked image at the bottom of this is of a mock up I did to show cutting the face of the susans to an angled flat, or if space was really tight,
V-cutting them to line up with the shelves when they were in resting position.

Here is the original image from a google image search:
 photo pantrysusans_zps8a1363e2.png

I would make a separate fixed shelf unit in the corner for large full-circle susans that protrude as far as practical, and make the rest of the shelving adjustable. Lots of shelves that are fairly shallow and as close together vertically as what is stored on them will allow.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner susans in a pantry

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 9:52

o
Bearings for home made susans

Here is a link to the bearings I used when I retrofitted susans into my pantry corners.
The bearings come in different diameters. These 9" ones would probably work for you.
All you have to do is cut a circle of plywood (1/2 inch is probably thick enough) as large as will fit your areas. Then decide if you want to angle the front of the shelf or not. Fasten the bearings to the shelves and the circles, and you are finished.

These work MUCH better than center pole susans. Because they rest on shelves, nothing can tumble off and fall down the back of the cabs. You can always reach anything that tilts over, and if your susans are cut to fit as tightly as possible, very little will ever fall off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bearings for lazy susans.

o

I agree with Bellsmom about adjustable shelves. When I ordered my kitchen cabinets, I ordered extra shelves for all the uppers - I can fill up a shelf with coffee mugs, water glasses, or canned goods, without stacking.

In your space, I would put 12" shelves on the side, and deeper (maybe 18") in the back, to allow room for small appliances, large cookware, and bulk items. Lazy Susans in the corners would be fantastic.

Once the shelves are in, you can use plastic tubs (or even shoe boxes) to help keep things together and organized.

Have fun!

o
Original post of pantry makeover

One last post from me, I promise! This is the original small pantry makeover with susans in the corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice pantry makeover

o

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I truly appreciate it!!

Malabacat, I was thinking of just using the same off-white that's in the dining room (the door is sort of at the end of the dining table). A pop of color would be nice, but I still have plenty of that paint and I'm on a tight budget.

I'm anxious to see your completed 6" cabinets, cal_quail! I think that's actually a very useful depth.

The corner susans are a neat idea, Bellsmom! I'll have to give that some thought. I've never been super fond of susans, as I always end up cramming something in on one side and pushing something off on the other. Maybe I've aged enough to be able to break that habit ;)

Anna, your pantry came out great! My door opens out, so I think that gives me a bit more room. I was actually thinking about doing some wire baskets on the back of the door, but am not sure if they would be visible through my louvered door while sitting at the table.

Annkh, I have the bulk storage room we just built, as well. In there, I put commercial chrome wire shelves. 18" deep on one wall and 24" on the other. I plan on keeping larger items over there, so I think 12", 6", and maybe 4" should be fine. My goal is to keep things as accessible as possible. I don't want things getting buried.

And now you've all got me leaning back towards doing adjustable shelves. It will make initial setup easier, that's for sure! But I imagine the shelves would stay put once I've finally figured it all out. Well, unless the size of cans and whatnot change (which is entirely possible).

Do you think I should start my shelves down low, like in my inspiration pic? Or should I keep them10-12" off the floor, like Anna's?

o

Where to start the shelves - and how many - depends entirely on what will be kept there. I would prefer to put larger and/or heavier things on lower shelves - less bending over. I have a lower cabinet designated for beer and pop - in your pantry, I'd put those things on the floor, under the shelves. If you are going to use it for strictly smaller things, I wouldn't go too close to the floor.

If you don't plan to keep things on the floor, you might consider making the lowest shelf (or two) deeper, to make it easier to look down to see what's there. Use narrower shelves at eye level.

o

If you're putting bigger things in the other space, I'd start low. What kind of shallow, tall things will you be putting in there and what would you want at the least accessible (ie: lowest) level?

o

We have a basket rack on the back of our louvered door, and can't see through the louvers at all.

This lazy Susans are great! I have them in my annex (a Target bookshelf in the basement) and they make it so much easier to see and retrieve what I have. Even on a 10" shelf things can hide out in the back.

The low shelves in your inspiration pic work because there's a toe-kick...nice for keeping dust bunnies at bay. If you don't do that, you can do baskets, I like them for keeping things contained, or even shallow boxes (like my water comes on). I also got 2 sturdy cardboard six-packs from the grocery store (for wine) that I keep oil and vinegars in. Much easier to pull out than to crawl under the bottom shelf.

o

I forgot to ask, what sort of light should I use to replace the old wall light? The one that's in there is plenty bright, but ugly!

o

I would definitely put in an overhead light centered or even closer to the door than centered. Put in a brighter light than you think you will need. You won't be sorry.

Have you posted the measurements of your pantry? Width and depth? If so, I missed it.

My pantry has shelves on both sides and a 27" walkway between. I wouldn't want to go much narrower than that, but I definitely do not need it to be any wider, either.

Another thing you can do to add to storage is replace the shuttered door with a paneled door and hang a large spice rack on the back of the door. I'll try to post a picture of the one I built. It is great. Accessible and takes absolutely NO usable room from the pantry.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 12:51

o

Overhead would be nice, but I am stuck with a wall-mount due to being under the stairs.

The room is tiny. Here are the dimensions I posted earlier:

The closet is 44" wide and 41.5" deep. That back wall starts to slope up with the stairs at 5', so I can't go very tall.

I think I will be OK with 6" shelves on one side and 4" shelves (only up to the light switch) on the other. I definitely only want 12" on the back so things don't get lost back there.

Can you post a picture of your pantry, Bells?

o

You'll be sorry you asked for pictures!
Here are a few. My pantry is much larger than yours, but I would do many things the same way if it were smaller. I did not start this with an empty room. During my kitchen remodel I was frustrated because I could not do anything except "supervise" and find fault. I have always been a DIYer. The shelves you see along the two sides and the back were there when we moved in. The entire room was unpainted plywood and wall board, and nothing else was in it except for ugly orange shag carpet. The only light was an 4' old fluorescent double bulb. So, out of frustration, I started trimming some of the existing shelves, painting everything with good high gloss white enamel, adding narrow adjustable shelving on the front left and cabinets along the top of both sides of the existing shelves. I also added the mirrored tile, moved in two old family pieces, and generally played. Most of the existing shelves have helper shelves added to make better use of the storage. Both back corners have susans on each shelf so everything is accessible.

I was delighted to get a really nice white metal tool cabinet on sale at a great price. It holds nearly all my tools and the bags for my vacuum sealer.

Here is the view now from the door as you enter
 photo pantry1_zpse3e329c7.jpg

Below is the right side. The two 6' tall cabinets facing each other on the front right are family pieces that have been in my family for 80 years. I remember them from my earliest days. I HAD to use them

I put mirrored tiles on the top of back wall to reflect light and the copper molds that are hanging above the door. I hung other molds on the mirror tiles--again to create depth and interest.

The cabinets that line the top of the shelves hold crystal and canning jars. They are cheap mark downs from a Habitat for Humanity store.

photo pantry3_zps1b3f5598.jpg

Here is the inside of the door as seen from the back of the pantry. I loved the old unfinished wood of the door and didn't want to paint it. I built the spice rack to hold small jelly canning jars that hold a TON of spices. (The brackets are ugly. I keep intending to paint them bronze and not getting around to it) The blob on the right side of the door below the spice rack is an old pencil sharpener that was there when we moved in. It makes me smile when I grind a pencil into a point.
 photo pantrydoor_zps9edc0e61.jpg
This is a closeup of the spice rack.
 photo pantrydoorcloseup_zps45f2cb40.jpg

There is a LOT of light in this pantry. Two ceiling fixtures, the one closest to the door has 4 60 watt bulbs. The one further back has 3.

The widest part of the center aisle is 27". The white tool chest protrudes into this space about 4".

Tomorrow I will add measurements and some pics of the narrow 6" adjustable shelves I added on the left side along what was bare wall if that will be useful to you. You can sort of see them in the picture of the door.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 20:46

o

Wow, that makes for a ton of storage! Good Job! I especially like your door storage and was wanting to do something like that on the back of mine. I love the way you picture framed it! I'm definitely going to have to steal that :)

o

Update:

Not a ton of progress, as we always have several projects in the works at once (patio project took precedence over the weekend).

I did get the room painted. I also pulled that nasty carpet and replaced it with laminate that's as close as I could get to the existing adjoining laminate. After work today I will put in the newly painted baseboard and start putting up shelf supports :)

o

It will make such a difference when you have paint and flooring that you like. And when the shelves go, in you will love it! (Remember to make extra shelves.) In the first picture I posted, you can see on the lower right two (currently not yet painted or secured in place) shelves I added right above the bins. These store some large platters stacked two or three high that I use fairly often and are too large to be stored vertically.

You wil LOVE being able to adjust the shelves to minimalize vertical waste space! And you will be astonished at how much you can store.

o

Thank you, Bellsmom. I decided not to go with adjustable, because I know that once it's full, I will never move a shelf. I have plenty of adjustable shelves in bookcases and whatnot that I have never once moved, so I talked myself out of them again.

Oh, I forgot to add that I did change the light. Nothing fancy, it is just a pantry. It's a basic flush mount round LED closet light. 7", I believe, and very bright. I'll post a picture of it tonight.

BTW, did I say how envious I am of your toolbox????

o

Errant
Glad you replaced the light. It will make a difference.

The toolbox was a 50% off closeout at Sears a year ago this fall. I absolutely love it. And I absolutely could NOT resist it. It is pretty, isn't it? I had to trim some shelves to make it fit.

If I had built my pantry from scratch every shelf would have been adjustable. The deep U of shelves are as they were when we moved in--except for sanding, paint, shelf liner, and trimming of some shelves that stuck out 6" further into the aisle on the right. I put in many $$$ worth of helper shelves and turntables to make up for the unadaptable fixed shelves' wasteful spacing. It would probably have been cheaper and certainly more efficient and attractive if I had just torn them out and replaced them all! (Look closely at the pics and you will see the metal "helper shelves" on the back and right. There are more on the left you cannot see.)

Hindsight is wonderfully efficient.

The narrow shelves on the left ARE adjustable. I put them in on the bare wall. They get rearranged rarely, but it is possible and it happens. Look closely on the left in the next to the last photo, which was taken facing the door. You can see how little wasted vertical space there is!

But, whatever you decide, you will love your new pantry.

Do please post pictures when you finish so we can enjoy with you.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:59

o

I didn't get a lot done after work, but here is a progress pic :)

o

It's looking great. I have a similar light in my pantry (which measures about 4-1/2 x 7 and its great. I added a motion sensor so the light goes on when you open the door - love it.

o

A motion sensor sounds like a nifty idea. How did you do that? Does the switch need to be in the on position all the time for it to work like with a porch light?

o

I would add a switch that goes in the door frame. When the door is open, the light is on. It goes off when you close the door. I had that at my last house and loved it.

o

I think adellabedella's idea is good, unless you're like me and tend to leave the pantry door open. Mine is in a part of the kitchen that you can't see unless you're in the right spot (it's under the stairs, behind the refrigerator), so I tend to leave the door open unless we have visitors or I have something that would be particularly interesting to the dogs in there.

o

I have another progress pic! I know this probably seems like a small thing to most, but I am very excited :)

o

Looking good!

o

not a small thing at all! that looks sooo good!

o

It's coming along nicely, Errant! You will have so much fun filling it up!

Have you taken anything in for a test-fit yet?

o

Wonderful. Aren't new empty shelves lovely? And they will look even better when you have them filled with organized "stuff." Building shelves, finishing them, and filling them are among my favorite activities.
I know you are having fun.

o

Jealous, jealous, jealous.

o

I've been test fitting as I go with everything I moved from this pantry to the bulk items one that we just built off the laundry. That one is not entirely complete (I still need a small chest freezer and some sort of landing zone next to it).

Here is a photo of that one. And yes, the majority of that stuff was packed into the little kitchen pantry that I'm re-doing now :o

o

"Jealous, jealous, jealous."

x 2 :)

o

That is looking so good! Looking forward to more pix!

o

I had to laugh at your pile of nails! DH is an over-achiever. He built half the house 30 years ago and has done all the remodeling. I've always said I feel sorry for the person that tries to take something out/down that he's built. It's built to withstand a F4 tornado (g)
I don't have a pantry in the kitchen but really need one so DH agreed to turn the closet in an unused bedroom into a pantry. I don't know how I lived so long without it! Good luck with yours!

o

Errant
Looking great- I am late to the party.
We haven't updated our narrow pantry yet - but someday and yours will be on my inspiration list.

We did replace the light with a 2 bulb light fixture with an LED capable motion sensor light which is great. Like Anna, we tend to not close the door completely.

If you have room, time, and energy - consider replacing the door with a pocket door.

Our old kitchen had a door that swung out and covered the light switch. It works so much better with a picket door and the motion sensor light inside the pantry.

Someone on GW knocked out drywall between the studs and built small shelf storage which you could do on the left side if you have extra energy -LOL
Someday, I will fix our sagging shelves. To compensate, I am using some clear plastic bins to keep items together and decrease avalanche risk.

o

Thank you, Monica and Gem. I had some between the studs shelves in a bathroom at another house and it was quite handy. That probably would have been a good idea here. As for a pocket door, there is no place for it to slide into since my stairway is against the exterior wall.

Hopefully, today I'll be able to dowel and attach my shelves :D

o

More progress! Shelves are done, but I don't want to fill them until I have the shelf liner in (should be delivered Monday)!

I did 12" shelving in the back and 6" on each side. I stopped the left side short, so they don't crowd the door. Excuse the dangling light switch. I pulled it out so I can try to see which direction the power is coming from because I want to try to figure out how to install a door switch as Adella suggested :)

o

Excellent! It will all be accessible. You are gonna LUV it.

o

*grrrrr* I'm still waiting on my shelf liner to be delivered. It was supposed to be here yesterday, so I'm guessing it should show up today.

In the meantime, I've been itching to buy stuff for my redone pantry. It seems like everywhere I go, I see canisters, bins, organizers, dividers, etc. But I'm going to refrain until I refill it with items I already have so that I can see what I actually need.

o

So envious!!! TWO pantries -- awesome job -- and my DH laughed at the photo of the pile of nails! :)

Can't wait for more photos -- please consider posting all of the Before-and-Afters on the Home Decorating forum too! :)

o

Oh, and get this... just after I installed the flooring that is "close enough" to matching our existing laminate, I found the exact stuff. I keep telling myself, it's just a pantry. But I know it's going to bug me enough that I will have to change it eventually.

o

I pulled it out so I can try to see which direction the power is coming from because I want to try to figure out how to install a door switch as Adella suggested :)

How about a motion detector switch ... if the door is partly open, it will still turn off. But when you open the door or walk in, the light comes on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Switch

o

I thought about that, but I've never been happy with any motion-activated light. Plus, having a louvered door, I don't want the light turning on anytime someone passes the door or turns on the dining room light.

o

Well crap! I received a tracking notice saying my shelf liner and a few more jars had arrived today. I left work early because I managed to pinch a nerve while waxing the dining table (still trying to finish up my dining room makeover), so figured I might be able to fill up the pantry while home. Guess what was in the box that was delivered? Not MY stuff!! A very pretty green vase/bowl and a giant serving tray :o C&B were very apologetic and will put a rush on my actual order, and will have UPS pick up this other person's stuff.

Anyone out there waiting on a Shindig Tray and Gianna Bowl from Crate & Barrel? LOL

o

Oh, pfffffhhhhht! That's the sound of air leaving a punctured balloon.
Well, another day or so and then....Whoooosh!
That's the sound of things flying onto the shelves.

o

Door shelves done!

o

• Posted by Errant 8 SoCal Mountains (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:16

Yikes! I don't recall ever having such a difficult time ordering from a major retailer. I was told my replacement order would be delivered Saturday, but no such luck. Imagine my elation when I came home from work today to find a Crate & Barrel box on my doorstep! And then my deflation as I opened to box to find only three of the several jars I had ordered (one broken) and no shelf liner (nor any of my other items).

I'm starting to think my new pantry will remain empty forever :(

This post was edited by Errant on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:32

o

Pantry is looking wonderful! My eyes are so green of your pantry space. Believe it or not, I put a motion sensor in for my kitchen recessed ceiling lights - a great decision for us! Three entrances into the kitchen and I really wanted to keep switches to a minimum. My *diva* dog really now believes she commands the room at feeding time! Lol. The one we put in can be set to a specific light level, 180 degrees, LED, and set to go off without any activity. I can't remember the maker but found it at lowes during the early remodel stages. For such a small item, it really made a huge impact in the remodel.

o

Thank you, Mags. Can you snap of picture of your motion sensor so that I can try to find it online? I might end up going that way, because the idea of doing new wiring for the door switch is starting to seem a bit daunting.

My shelf liner finally arrived! I was able to get it all in place yesterday and started filling shelves :D I'm not going to give you any pictures, yet, because I need to put new labels on all of my jars now that I've washed them. I will try to get them done this weekend!

o

It's done and full!! :D

o

Left side

o

Door shelves

o

I made new labels for all of my jars :)

o

Sorry errant, I'm just seeing this. So sorry and you're done. I love the labels on ur jars. Computerized? I picked up some chalkboard type labels from target; prolly tied to my need to avoid commitment. :-(

I'll snap that lighting photo 2mrw and post in case u're still interested. I do think it's pretty slick!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here