Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

Buehl
11 years ago

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful.

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)/Articles pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but there is also a category list if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access the FKB Categories Page via a link in the navigation panel on the right of any FKB page. Additionally, there is also a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links in the navigation panel that is on the right side of each main FKB page.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the kitchen remodel process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as layouts, planning for storage, and stone materials are discussed in later topics in this thread. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria:

***site:ths.gardenweb.com

In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.

When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offering this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page) [See the post later in this thread with the Subject: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process]

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a link...one is for the link itself and the second is for the name or description of the link.

When using the "Clip this post"...

Comments (145)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump bump bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump bump bump bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump bump bump bumpity bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump bump bump bumpity bump bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bumpity bump bump bump bumpity bump bump bump

• enduring
    11 years ago

b.b.b.b.bump

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

to page 1

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Aaaaah.... as this thread is about to be obsolete I wanted to be sure to read its secret OT contents before disappearance.

Breezy, thanks for the Q of H memories --- loving that song was always a dirty pleasure. But re-listening to it, it didn't even seem all that bad. I still think she has a great voice and the song is good. I wonder what happened to her?

And of course, those pictures of WVA are so deeply restorative. I remember driving through the blue ridge with some friends on college Spring Break and phoning my parents saying: "Why didn't you tell me there was a part of this country so incredibly beautiful"? I still think it's the most lovely from within an awfully crowded field of competition. Just when I was beginning to resign myself to living in this godforsaken desert....

And of course linking to Van Zandt is interesting too as there is such a culture of honoring folk music within and around those hollows of WVA. That song always was, probably still is a favorite among that particular crowd.

These nostalgic songs are about to have me weeping now, all on account of GW getting a sticky thread. Geeesh.

Thanks for the healing tones....

• enduring
    11 years ago

I will miss this thread:(

Here is a song that I haven't heard in decades. And there is a kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pancho and Lefty

• enduring
    11 years ago

The best voice in the world

Here is a link that might be useful: Pancho and lefty by Willie

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Leela--What a crazy DM! And that concert was in my area.

Angie--Thank you for introducing me to Townes. The first of the two you linked touched me. And the Hooters! Great! I was obsessed with CL's 'Girls' back in the day. I didn't so much like her crazy appearance, but loved the song.

Bee--I always enjoy Tchaikovsky and now my children are forced to listen to CI with me! Sounds like your Dad was a lot like mine. You've been a helpful inspiration to me over the last months knowing that you live a daily happy life despite losing your father. I don't mean it to sound dumb, just that I know (duh...) that I can make it if you did.

Aliris--WVA is area of the country I'd like to explore some day. Pictures make it look like misty heaven.

Enduring--I have to admit that Willie still doesn't flip up my socks, although I do have a greater appreciation for him now than I did when I was forced to listen to him as a child.

I've missed this thread! I've only checked into the forum a few minutes at night recently as life has gotten busy. My Dad's widow put her house on the market with all of us expecting it would take many months to sell, but she had an offer within 3 days. It's been emotionally difficult helping her pack up; try to divide her things from those of my Dad that go to my brothers and I; and say goodbye to my Dad's beloved hunting dogs. I have a particularly soft spot for the black lab Pete. His hunting skills and sweet personality were so dear to my Dad. I wish I could have brought him home to live with us, but we're just not set up for a dog. My Dad's former boss took the dogs on a temporary foster so we still need to find a home for them.

Here's a song that keeps running through my head lately because of the hook not the lyrics. When will my world change? When does the day-to-day grief change?

Here is a link that might be useful: Waiting on the World to Change

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Oops. Forgot.

I was going to mention an idea I proposed on the thread about the excitement of having a new sticky. Now that we won't be able to have our fun bumping this thread any longer, how about a thread over on the Conversation side of the forum for our musical whims? We could check in every day or so and post music or...whatever. Just a place to share music. Thoughts?

• enduring
    11 years ago

Great idea, do you have a name for the tread?

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Breezy, Pictures make it look like misty heaven - "Smoky Mountains" perhaps? I always thought that was just a name -- I didn't realize it was a description! I hope you get there soon.

And I wanted to tell you of a sheet of paper a friend brought by for me when my Dad died. She'd been given it in hospice. The gist was, or at least I took away two things: it will take a minimum of a year to fall through to 'normal'-ish-ness. And that said, no matter how long you think it will take, double that. Sort of like a contractor's estimate of cost, eh?

It probably took 4 years for the horrible, sharp, acrid images of my father's death (also from pancreatic ca) to fade. But they have mellowed now. It will happen; it is possible to grieve through to the other end.

The only solution I know is to love every second of the here-and-now. I think Uncle Seymour (Van Zandt's buddy) mentions something about being thankful for every second you get. Love your babies, they disappear so fast! ... and that's what feels so sad, because your Dad did.

I'm going to start a music thread in the parallel kitchens forum world now. You can hear one of my favs there...

• enduring
    11 years ago

I'm headed to the IOWA STATE FAIR....Bump just for old time's sake

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, but we need to keep bumping this thread as the sticky thread is not the real thread - it's missing the vast majority of information!

Since we aren't allowed to post it, I can't fix it!

I'm trying to get the FAQ online, but I'm waiting for the iVillage developers to fix an issue I'm having.

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump as Buehl requested:)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Still bumping until sticky is fixed.

Oh, and here is a link to the promised "musical thread":

Here is a link that might be useful: Musical thread on Conversations

• enduring
    11 years ago

More music links over there please

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bumpin'

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Let's bump again, like we did last summer...

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Well, iVillage must listen, because it seems that the ad is gone from the bottom of the page. BUT it pisses me off that the thread complaining about it has been deleted. That is very "Big Brother". It's not the first thread or certain posts from the middle of a thread to be deleted especially recently. Even from threads where the disagreements were pretty mild.

I do not care for censorship.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0805380617952.html

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=ivillage+michelle+add+ad+ipad+site:gardenweb.com

• aliris19
    11 years ago

"iVillage", aka Tamara as far as I can tell, is paying attention, sort of, recently. They still haven't fixed this stupid thread of course -- what's the point of a sticky thread that's not sticking what is needed to be sticked? stuck?

She -- or someone -- once removed a post of mine noting that Salvation Army was non secular. It was explained to me that "politics" is OT.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Bump!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Bump

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got word the iVillage developers should have fixed the issues I've been having with the FAQ! Stay tuned! I will see if I can finish the FAQ this coming weekend (after we take DS to college Saturday).

I can't believe he's going to college this fall! He was only 12 years old when we started planning our kitchen remodel and I joined GardenWeb!

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Yeah!

Works in progress...

• angela12345
    11 years ago

They must gave fixed the issues ?!?! I can see the FAQs and read all of them. YAY !!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/kitchbath/

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Buehl, is Angela right? Is this thread now made redundant officially? sniff...

• enduring
    11 years ago

Bump, until Buehl gives the go ahead to let this thread sink.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, the FAQs are not finished...

Keep on bumping! :-)

• enduring
    11 years ago

bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bump

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Here's an Angie inspired bump.

Here is a link that might be useful: Twist Again

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Thanks, Breezy!

Bonnie Rait is in my town tonight. Here is a young Bonnie Raitt covering "Runaway."

Here is a link that might be useful: Runaway (Raitt version)

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Just a bump, no tune...

• enduring
    11 years ago

Got a tune, I know its early and the post is near the top.
    Love Bonnie Rait this includes John Prine
    And there is the word "kitchen" in the song:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Angle from Montgomry

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I used this tune on the Musical thread in conversations, but I am going to recycle it here.

-------------------------

saw this awesome ensemble this weekend. There are three sisters from Donegal, Ireland called the Henry Sisters, and 4 Appalachian guys from WV called The Fox Hunt Band that met up and started playing wonderful tunes together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hang me

• Buehl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

~bump~

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Enduring--that's one of my favorite songs! Thank you for reminding me its been too long since I listened to it. Clever how you included a song with kitchen in it. :)

Angie--I'm off to listen to 'Hang Me' now!

'Angel from Montgomery' reminded me of another of my favorite BR songs. I'll link to the original singer, Sippie Wallace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Women Be Wise (not that we all aren't already!)

• aliris19
    11 years ago

breezy -- all better?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Aliris--Yes and no. I'll meet you over in Conversations on our musical thread. But tomorrow, okay? I must sleep now for a busy day tomorrow. :)

• polie
    11 years ago

bump

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Bump

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

bump