Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohnooomrbill

So excited- cabinets arrived

OhNoooMrBill
9 years ago

I have been lurking for the last couple of weeks. I figured I would finally start a thread.
I have hated my kitchen cabinets from the time we moved in 12 years ago. I loved the big pantry and the space but not the cabinets or the color or the hardware. The cabinets have non-standard hardware sizes so I couldn't easily replace the hardware.
DH and I are doing all of the work. We started a few years ago by taking out a vinyl floor and putting in tile. Last fall we took out 5 feet of wall between the kitchen and family room.

Here are old kitchen pictures:
{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

We took out the ceiling, installed recessed LED, and pendant lighting. Ceiling is mostly in- just needs to be sanded. Cabinets are all out and walls still need work.
New cabinets are in the garage in boxes- they arrived today. Yippee.
Cabinets: Kraftmaid Lynchburg cherry Honey Spice with mocha glaze
Counter: Rainforest green
Sink- Elkay mocha
Faucet: oiled bronze
BS- undecided
Hardware- undecided

New layout:

We added a peninsula. It will have a 15 inch overhang for seating.

There is no hood in the plans as DH will be learning masonry and will put in a stone hood. We have stone in both the family room and living room that take up part of the wall and are where the wood stove or propane stove sits. It is stone from the property.

I will try to find a good link for the counter slab we picked

Any one have thoughts on BS?

Comments (11)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

No.

But I think you're going to have a lovely kitchen! I really like the idea that you're using stone from your property. There's someone here who has built either counters or cabinets out of black walnut from their land. I love that.

So...
    Good luck and it's going to be beautiful.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Not only are we close to the same time frame on our kitchen, it looks like my cat Pearl is at your house too! (found her on Pearl Harbor Day).

Envious that you can do so much on your own. Today is the third day of the electrician's one day of work. Tomorrow will be the fourth. ;) Ah the joy of old houses.

I can't wait to see your cabinets and kitchen. The cabinets sound gorgeous.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Cherry Honey Spice with Mocha Glaze. They sound yummy & I bet your kitties can't wait to get some cabinets & counters back in place.
    Looking forward to progress pics!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

GWer Sixtyohno used rainforest granite in her gorgeous kitchen. She went with a light green 3x6 glass tile for her backsplash. I have linked her kitchen below.
    In another thread she stated, "The tiles are Trend Series beige. I don't know why is called beige because it's green. Here's a link to the 3x6. The color on my monitor is darker than real life."

http://www.buytile.com/home.phpmain_page=product_info&products_id=20609

You probably can find other examples of backsplash tiles with rainforest if you search on Houzz.

Good luck with your remodel. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sixtyohno's kitchen

• OhNoooMrBill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sixtyohno's kitchen is beautiful.

I have not been a huge fan of the subway tile look but that color and glass look is very nice.

I uploaded a picture of my granite slab.
    {{!gwi}}

• brightm
    9 years ago

Wow, that's an amazing slab. I couldn't remember where I had just read about Rainforest. I guess it was here. :)

I went to the place I got my granite today and saw that along with some other forest which seems like what my cheeseboard is made of. I can't wait to see your in place!

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Wow! Wow! That granite is absolutely stunning! It is going to look so great with your cabinets. I bet you can't wait to see it all come together. I can't even imagine DIY-I am on day 13 and am so ready for it to be over. Btw, I am happy to see one more non white kitchen in the making :-)

• OhNoooMrBill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This round of deconstruction started on July 3rd. I am hopeful the cabinets will be in by then end of the weekend but more likely by the end of the month.
    We are at my least favorite stage- sanding the drywall. There is drywall dust everywhere.

• OhNoooMrBill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have finished the drywall work. The new ceiling is in place with the LED recessed lights, and places for a few pendant lights.

We also now have the cabinets installed. We have some cabinet trim to put in before the granite template is done (scheduled for Friday). A friend helped us a great deal in getting the base cabinets lined up and level so that hopefully the granite folks have a good base to work from.

We hope to add some progress pictures shortly.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

That sounds a lot like the kitchen we had at our old house- so handsome. We never tired of it! Can't wait to see your progress!

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:25