Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which pic. do u like better for sink bumpout??

Posted by michelle16 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 20:22

do you like the counter squared off around bumpout, or is it too skinny?? Ill post the rounded one next, makes it alittle wider looking??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which pic. do u like better for sink bumpout??

Heres the rounded one, even though I like squared, i think the radius here makes the bumpot piece look alittle wider, not as skinny, what do u think. i'm exhausted ans so burnt out!1 Thanks to all!!

o

I like the 2nd one

o

1st is preferable,esp. in the darker color, the way I interpret the whole look.

o

The rounded would make the little stone tab less likely to break off, too. (The square corner would be a stress riser.)

o

I like them both. I think my hips would like the rounded one, but maybe you're less clumsy then I am :-)

o

Neither. They are too ornate. Leave well enough alone with simply having the sink itself be pulled a bit forward in the base.

o

greendesigns, the lower cabinets are in and ready for templating, I wanted a bumped out sink, just not sure on how to do the edges, looking for advise.Since it's in already, what would u suggest?

o

Too ornate? lol I'm sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

I prefer the second one. It just looks softer, will be easier on the hips, and I just prefer the way it looks. What's important, though, is which one do you prefer? If Angie_DIY is right about the first one being more likely to break, that's a pretty good reason to go with the second one if you truly don't have a preference.

o

Tks Poohpup! that comment from greendesigns stung, i have to admit! It's not like I want to rip out my cabinet, I went with the bumpout because I have a window to the counter and thought the extra space behind would be better, I also liked the look, just having a hard time because that area of counter is so small, so trying to get it right.Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate it,glad u don't think it's too ornate! LOL!

o

The black one mirrors the squared corners of the cabs. The one with the rounded edge mirrors the rounded corners of the cab it is set in.

Your cabs have square corners. (As I recall.) What are the rest of your countertop corners going to look like? Square or rounded?

I'd take all those things into consideration in making my decision if I were you. I don't see the wider/narrower distinction you are referring to.

All that said, I like #1 the best. My hip bones? They'd prefer #2.

o

Michelle, a lot of people bump out their sinks. I agree that it is a really nice look and practical too. The detail around the sinks in those photos are hardly ornate.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that because I would have snorted my drink out my nose. lol I suppose that someone who thinks that detail is "ornate" would have a heart attack if they saw my kitchen. lol This is your kitchen and you're the one who is going to live with it. So do what you like! It will be lovely!

BTW, this is my not quite finished kitchen. That should help explain why I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. lol
Photobucket

o

You won't be able to reach that window to open it or clean it if you bump out your sink. At least, you won't be able to without climbing on a stepstool. And you WILL bang your hips on it. I wouldn't do the bumpout at all.

o

Beeps- thanks for your ideas, still trying to figure out the corner radius thing, if i do the rounded it will be everywhere else, if i do the square i will do the same with the rest. I do have inset square edges for the cabinets, u r right, but i kept a buffet looking piece of cabinetry that was only acouple years old in a wood finish, it has some bumpouts to it, I dont think the square would look good on it, unless I just do that peice rounded and do differently for the rest? lots to think of and figure out before my app. tom. morning to finalize. Hollysprings, I 'm not sure if u read my post to Greendesigns, but I have no intrest of ripping out my cabinet, they already came today to template. I can open the window fine, cleaning it would require a stepstool. I do like the bumped out window, it gives me more room behind it and less splasing will get on window. Poohpup- u crack me up! i'll show u my "ornate" family room, lets see if i can post a pic, it might even show the cabinet in front of it that i kept with the bumpouts.

o

heres the family room.lol!

o

beekeeperswife just posted a picture that might help you. Sorry, I can't find it, but it's in a current thread about countertop overhang on an island with 4 corner posts. Look for bee's picture of her sink once you find it.

o

The thread marcolo is talking about is linked below. The photos from bee's kitchen look a lot like the bump out in that gorgeous cabinet you show above. I'd use that same detail on your sink. It's very similar to what I'm doing in my kitchen. Very elegant and soft and hip friendly.

Thanks for posting that photo of your family room! Wowie!! Love that cabinet, love that chandy, and LOVE that armoire!!! You're a girl after my own heart! We could shop together. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: The above referenced link

o

I think I like the second one with the rounded edge better but the difference is so slight to tell you the truth. I guess if it were me I would go with whatever is less likely to chip or get hard knocks and more comfortable to work around.

I think a few of the posters have missed the fact that you already have the base cabinet installed and the bump out is not an option to remove.

o

Thanks for finding it. I hope bee won't mind borrowing her pics.

o

yes marcolo! Thanks! that;s exactly what i did, I showed him bee's! It will have an eased edge with a longer swoop like this, makes the piece appear chunkier, not so skinny! tks!

o

Michelle, glad that worked out. It will look beautiful! Great that marcolo remembered that thread that had the perfect solution for you.

o

tks for all ur help poohpup! have to call him tom. morning to fix a few details on that existing "ornate" peice! haha

o

Got to weigh in here on the side of Greendesigns... I really didn't like either of those first two pictures. Very much prefer the gradual curve of Bee's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here