Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Which hood looks better in this space? (pics & mock-ups)

kaysd
10 years ago

I have spent months trying to find the "perfect" hood (at least 1000 cfm, baffles, under $2k, somewhat sleek), and it just doesn't exist. I need to stop waffling and just buy something, so I have narrowed it down to 2 options: Best by Broan K4242SS and Imperial WH2000. They are both 1000 cfm with mesh filters and the price difference is negligible (the Best is an open box deal), so the decision comes down to looks.

The look I am going for is modern, with some rustic (knotty wood ceiling) and industrial (SS pro-style appliances) elements. I originally thought I wanted an inverted T like the Imperial. DH prefers pyramids, but he doesn't care what I buy at this point as long as we are done. Now that the cabinets and pendant lights are in, I think a low-profile pyramid like the Best might fill in the space better, but I am torn. I need to decide by tomorrow so I don't miss a sale.

I created 2-D mock-ups with manila folders to see how the different shape hoods look in the space. I had to tape them up a couple inches too high because of wiring coming out of the wall. The chimney will extend all the way up to the ceiling. I have 48" between cabinets and will use a 42" hood. (Sorry, the kitchen looks like a disaster in these pictures. I am currently sorting several boxes of my parents' records on the island.) Which hood shape do you think looks better?

Our kitchen:

Best by Broan hood:

Paper mock up for scale:

Imperial hood:

Paper mock up for scale:

Comments (42)

• BravoDesign
    10 years ago

Speaking of looks only as I can't say anything about their quality, hands down the Imperial goes with your kitchen way way more than the Best hood

• deedles
    10 years ago

Agreed. The Imperial shape wins for me, too.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Imperial...no question

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Imperial

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An inverted T shape hood is definitely a more popular choice for a modern or contemporary kitchen. I like the way the Imperial hood looks on the website, but I have never seen it in person. The photos must be of the 36" model, because the 42" mock-up I created looks different (the 2" high upper "step" is 26.75" wide, regardless of total hood width, so wider hoods have a different balance between the steps.)

My concern with the Imperial is that the 4" high x 42" wide lower step seems a bit out of scale ("wimpy") with the 10' high ceiling. My designer had originally specified a T hood, but once she saw the finished space, she thought a pyramid might be better.

I was just looking at the spec sheets and noticed a couple of differences that affect performance. The Best is 24" deep and the Imperial is 21" deep. The Best is 10 sones on high and the Imperial is 4.6. So, the Best has a better capture area, but it is louder. The Imperial has a 7-year warranty, and I can't find warranty info on the Best.

• Clarion
    10 years ago

The Best.

Imperial looks out of place to me.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The Broan echoes the shape of your pendants...the imperial looks more contemporary...I could live with either one.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like the Broan better. Its shape kind of echoes the beams. The Imperial looks too small and I don't care for its negative space.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I like the imperial, but I think the other one would look fine there as well.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

All those triangles of different angles don't work for me: the very narrow pyramid lamps, the slope of the roof rafters and the hood are just too discordant.

The rectiilinear, steamship funnel hood is much better to my eye. Is that the Imperial, at least I mean the second one you showed.

HTH,
    L.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"All those triangles of different angles don't work for me: the very narrow pyramid lamps, the slope of the roof rafters and the hood are just too discordant."

That could be. Does looks a little jumbled that way. Can you get a more distant shot? Are there any other shapes, maybe something more substantial with a curve?

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

My vote for shape, the best by Broan. But I would look into Moder Aire or Prizer for more options of similar profiles...

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

best by broan- looks very good with your pendant lights.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Can't tell from this mock up, i must say that I'm very impressed by your Manila mock ups! Wow!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

in the photos, the imperial looked nicer. but when you did the scale mock-up, i thought the best looked best.
    off topic, but i love your pendants! can you tell me where they are from? thank you!

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so that's 6 votes for the Imperial, 5 for Best and 2 neutrals. It looked like an Imperial landslide at first.

My designer thought a pyramid hood might echo the pendant shape nicely (she hasn't seen my mock-ups), but I worry about having 2 different triangular shapes together, like Liriodendron brought up.

Ctycdm, I did consider both Modern-Aire PS-16 and Prizer Manhattan (both are beefier inverted T's with 6" high horizontal rectangles at the bottom instead of the 4" on the Imperial and baffles filters), but they are both over $3500.

I spoke with Imperial today, and they can make me a custom hood with a 6" high bottom "step" that can accommodate the baffle filters I wanted. I am waiting for pricing. They have an awesome warranty, and are made here in CA, so I would feel good about buying from them. I need to do another mock-up to see how the beefier Imperial 'T' would look.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michoumonster,

Thanks, I love my pendants too, and the price was pretty reasonable. They are the George Kovacs P8111 Mini Pendant. They can have a long lead time, but I found some in stock at Lightingdirect.com. I called to verify they were in stock before placing the order, and they gave me a small discount off the price on the website. I think I paid about $130 per light.

Here is a link that might be useful: pendant

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I like the Imperial. I don't care for the Best.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

kay, thanks for the info on the pendants. i'll have to see if they have a 3 light version. but i really like the clean lines and the cool double effect of the metal inside the glass.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Both seem a little gracile for the space. I think something bulkier, with more mass would work better.

GE

Custom
    {{!gwi}}

Customrangehoods

Modernaire

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LWO, those are cool, but DH would hate something that bulky. He wanted one of those hoods with the curved glass canopies. I talked him out of that because the glass canopy would provide no visual weight.

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

Imperial. The Best looks too bland to me, and your kitchen really rocks! Have you looked at this one:

http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JXI8042WS

It looks sleek and clean to me without too much bulk. Don't know if it meets your other requirements.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Let us know what you end up with, would love to see. We have a sloped kitchen ceiling as well.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 9:13

• taggie
    10 years ago

I prefer the lines of the Best but I'm not a boxy-look person in general so take that for what it's worth.

I do think either one will look great with your kitchen at the end of the day, so just pick whichever one you tend to prefer and it will all be good. :)

Personally I'm not of the opinion that you need to go beefier. You have the thin/sleek stainless columns flanking that run and I don't think you need to add a heavier stainless fixture in the center of it. I like the scale shown in your 2nd last pic, it looks great.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Baltomom, that Jenn-Air is very attractive, but does not have enough power. Several really nice looking contenders have been eliminated for lack of cfms.

ctycdm, we will be going all the way to the ceiling. I'm a bit nervous about getting the duct cover cut to just the right angle.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

What about this Kobe? http://www.koberangehoods.com/product/CH100-1.html

About $1500 at AJM and 1100 CFM, baffles, 8 sones, 24 in deep. http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CH0042SQB1.html#.UeFuP8u9KSM

The duct cover shown is optional, you can get the kind you show above

Sorry the links aren't live, you can only put one live on in a post. Need to copy/paste.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Prizer did a beautiful job of cutting the angle to match my slope. I gave them the dimensions, they drew it up, and I approved the drawings before ordering.

• friedajune
    10 years ago

I agree with Live Wire Oak. I think neither the Best nor the Imperial fill the space correctly or balances it (though if I HAD to choose, I would choose the Best). Both hoods look too stick-figure-ish, and too light. You've got that high ceiling, and lots of open space, and you need a hood that is proportionate to that open space. I like what Ctycdm has done, but again, Ctycdm's hood has some bulk to it and fills up the space.

As to what your DH prefers, does he do a lot of the cooking? I am so surprised that he wants a lighter, glass hood. Most guys I know are kinda "me like fire, me like grilling and smoke, me like a massive hood to have much power". How sexist am I LOL?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

fwiw, I will agree that neither seems to be quite right, imo. I like the more substantial Best better. Would like to see the shape change.

• BravoDesign
    10 years ago

akchicago, "Most guys I know are kinda 'me like fire, me like grilling and smoke, me like a massive hood to have much power'".... I'm a man and I found that hilarious ;)

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

akchicago, and Bravo ~ As a guy, that last paragraph hit the nail on the head, for me anyway:)

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Akchicago, lol, DH likes his fire power outside, on the grill. I do more of the inside cooking. He is constantly turning down my burners, which makes it hard to brown anything. I think we were taught how to cook differently. I think he likes the glass hoods because of the graceful curve, and because it is what his parents have and it is one of the few hoods he has liked. He thinks most hoods are big and ugly. He hates the upside down T hoods because it is all straight lines, with no taper, it is just a horizontal rectangle stuck onto the bottom of a vertical rectangle, with no sense of connection as far as he is concerned. He is ok with pyramid hoods because they taper from the chimney to the widest part of the hood. (I canâÂÂt go with the Kobe Williamsem suggested because DH already said he does not like the straight sides on that style -- he likes taper.)

Taggie, I am worried about striking the right balance of SS, since I have the SS fridge/freezer columns at each end of that run. I need the hood to be attractive, since it is in such a prominent place on the wall facing the living/dining room, and big enough that the scale is appropriate, but I donâÂÂt really want the hood to draw too much attention, since I prefer other elements to be the âÂÂstarsâ of the room.

Ctycdm, your Prizer hood looks great! I am afraid that would be a budget buster for me. I am hoping to get a nice clean angle cut like that, so my GC does not have to use wood trim around the top of the chimney to hide a less than perfect fit.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few people have suggested I try a different shape or proportion. What about the Wolf Pro Wall Chimney hood to go with my Wolf range? (I can get a deal on a floor model.) It is more substantial than the Best hood (the Best pyramid has a total height of 11â including the 2â lip & the chimney cover is 12-3/4â wide; the Wolf pyramid has a total height of 18â including the 4â lip & the chimney cover is 24â wide).

Some of you have suggested a hood with some curve. The Wolf has a curved lip, which I think looks good in person, although that may not be what you meant. I donâÂÂt have enough paper left to mock this one up.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I think that Wolf would look great in your space. Much more proportionate in the room. Good luck with your decision, and post a pic when you're done!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

love the wolf! seems like it would be the right balance.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I like them both.

And with that said, I have been waiting very (im)patiently for your reveal. I can't wait! Really looking forward to it.

Good luck with your hood decision.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

That's the one!

I like the photo so much, I've added that Wolf hood to my list of hoods I am considering.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture with the Wolf that Michoumonster very nicely mocked up for me.

What do you think?

• dljmth
    10 years ago

Hi kaysd - your kitchen looks amazing! Your mock ups are great, but take into account the 3d aspect. They do look a little small, but those chimneys are pretty wide and deep. Mine is a little bigger than the Imperial at 6" step (Ibelieve, but I will check). My preference is for the Imperial - that was the one I wanted, but I actually like the Wolf as it adds a little softness to the room. When my architect first saw my hood installed he sort of questioned why I didn't choose something that was just a little rounder (like the Wolf and sort of like my cabinet pulls). Can't wait to see your reveal!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Love the Wolf in your space!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That looks really good, much better proportions and shape that seem to go with the flow better. It also is quite a bit lower. The others looked unusually high, to me anyway.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their advice, and to Michoumonster for the mock-up of the Wolf hood. I had my best offer on the Wolf hood accepted this morning, so that is one more item off the list!