Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Worst Rod Failure Yet

I don't usually post pictures of jobs until I have them under contract, but since this is the worst rod failure I've ever seen, exceptions must be made. Unusual for southern Florida, this is 2cm granite with a plywood substrate and a 2cm front edge build-up. I can't help believing that after the sink seal failed, (no mechanical fasteners) the saturated plywood contributed to the severe oxidation of the bedded rod. Notice how the raw cut edge of the bottom of the backsplash has sucked up water creating efflorescence on the splash face? That'll take diamonds to remove and repolish.

If it were only the front rod, an apron sink installation would solve things nicely. In fact, I'm waiting on a sink to do that very repair on another project. Unfortunately, there isn't enough stone in the rear, even if that were repairable, for that solution here.

Fortunately there is a pantry countertop with matching color and edge profile that can be sacrificed for the replacement here. At least that's the only way I'm touching this thing.

Rodding is old school, obsolete, and unnecessary with today's transportation tools. Why let a fabricator put a time bomb in your countertop?

Comments (17)

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

That's really nasty looking stuff. I'm curious - How old do you think that countertop is?

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Yikes! What a nightmare! How old is this installation? I must admit I'm not familiar with the rod technique. Maybe it's no longer used, or at least not in our area (Norhern California). Can you please explain how it works so we can avoid it at all costs?

Thanks...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ssg7741:

"Rodding" is the process where slots are cut into the back of stone and a stainless steel or fiberglas rod is bedded with epoxy. It increases the tensile strength of stone by 600% or so. It is an authorized procedure according to the Marble Institute of America's Residential Installation Manual.

The problem comes when fabricators, to save money, use cold steel instead of stainless and polyester instead of epoxy to bed the rod. Epoxy is waterproof, polyester is not.

Unrodded stone subsumes the tensile strength of the cabinets when properly installed and there are tools that keep stone from breaking during transport, so a 600% gain in strength is moot. There is no longer a reason to rod most stones. As an aside, these tools pay for themselves in lower breakage rates and the reduced labor of eliminating rodding and rodding materials.

The homeowner said this had been going on for 18 months or so, but I am skeptical.

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the info...will check with my stone guy to see what he does, but I don't think he uses this procedure.

• bowbat
    9 years ago

Southern Florida? East or west coast? (Just curious... I'm in Sarasota.)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bowbat:

I'm in Sarasota. This job is in Tampa.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Wow, amazing. Learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing it.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I have the impression that something was ignored here for a long time? This wouldn't happen quickly would it?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I have the impression that something was ignored here for a long time? This wouldn't happen quickly would it?"

I agree. That rod's been rusting for quite a while; I'd guess several years.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Way off topic, but my mom had a place on the beach on Siesta Key for 15 years. Loved visiting there, loved the soft, white sand, loved St. Armond's (sp?) circle, loved loved loved. Loved the daily 4 pm rains.

Just hated the sun.
    But you two made nice memories flash through my head. Don't worry, it didn't hurt.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Just happen to have a photo of a tool that keeps "stone from breaking during transport."

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Hey guys, 'm in Sarasota too. What are the odds?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

suzannesl:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's much stronger than any rod and can usually be removed after the top is safely lying on the cabinets.

It installs and removes in less than a minute. I'd be surprised if anyone could rod a top in less than half an hour.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Hey guys, 'm in Sarasota too. What are the odds?"

jerzeegirl:

If you ever call me for a local rod job, I'll probably have to pay GW some sort of advertising fee. lol.

• bowbat
    9 years ago

"Hey guys, I'm in Sarasota too. What are the odds?"

And the whole reason I came out of lurkdom & starting posting is because someone else from Sarasota asked a question on the Bath forum. Good to know if I have any region-specific questions, there are plenty of people on the boards to help.

Trebruchet, do you fabricate or strictly repair?

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

lol, treb. Had I know I would have called you last week when a mango stained my crackle tile! I was distraught but CEF saved the day - she came up with a tooth whitening poultice that actually worked! Now about my granite I don't think I have any rods in it - at least not that I know about but I will definitely give you a shout out if my granite goes kerblooey on me!.

Bowbat: I am amazed that there are three of us here. I thought everyone had left town! You could have rolled a bowling bowl down the aisle at Target today and not hit anyone! I'd be happy to answer any regional questions if I can and I am sure Treb also has lots of good recommendations up his sleeve.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Trebruchet, do you fabricate or strictly repair?"

I recently gave a potential customer a price of $2,400.00 or so for a solid surface bathroom vanity with a coved backsplash recently. She's having granite put in for $1,000.00.

I will hand out Frosty's at the Wendy's drive thru before I'll give my level of service, expertise, and quality at competitive granite pricing.

I've found the secret to the repair business is cost effectiveness. I'm usually never competing against other repair persons, I'm competing against new/replacement work. There is an attractive window for customers somewhere between $0.00. and replacement. If I can hit the sweet spot by making it look 80% better and still be less than the down payment on new tops, I get the job.

I've refused work before too; several times. Told the folks their house was too nice and the tops too far gone and to use the money they would have paid me to buy new tops.