Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yankca

get me into 2011 with my oak kitchen

yankca
12 years ago

Hi all, I have been wanting to do something with my kitchen but I don't know what to do. The cabinets are Quaker Maid oak in perfect condition. Need a new oven,cooktop,hood,counter,sink. I thought it would be simple to redo. First problem - the oven cut out is 24"x48" nothing will fit. I want high end oven, thus I emailed QuakerMaid and they are looking into a new cabinet. Questions --should I buy even if possible a dated style oak cabinet? should I paint them? what color qranite ( I like the satin finish) what kind of hood (one that will just replace the existing 36" one or dump the cabinet above the cooktop? I want an induction 36" cooktop. Because the counter is in a C shape with many turns I have been told to not pick granite with a wave. Note- I don't trust my judgement and have lived here for 18years and don't have any strong vision. Just want a great looking kitchen(husband has no interest in having any input and two daughters are out of house). I will post pictures. Thank you in advance. The longest counter run is 178" with the sink run is 169".

Comments (25)

• yankca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pictures I think

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Yankca - That's a lot of questions! Just curious, are you new here or have you been lurking for a while? I'm relatively new but I'm not shy about posting. And I tend to be pretty opinionated and always seem to know what I want so I can't really identify with not having "any strong vision". However, even if right now you don't have a strong vision and don't trust your judgment, there has got to be kitchens you do and don't like. Right? I'd start by looking at the kitchens on FinishedKitchen.blogspot.com and make notes of things that appeal to you.

I certainly think you could paint your oak cabinets (that actually might become the new "it" thing - I'll link you to a previous thread all about that - grey-washed oak cabinets). However, if you hate your oak cabinets and you have the money to totally re-do them, you could try to sell them for someone else to rehab and bring into 2011. I guess I would ask you if the layout functions well? If so, then maybe you rehab the cabinets but if you want to change the layout, then yeah, I would ditch the cabinets and get something else (but I can't stand oak - I have never liked it so I'm totally biased). Looking at your pictures, your kitchen looks really LONG - is there room for an island - would you want that? but do you need that additional counter space? People here are really good at figuring out layouts.

Another good place to start is the Sweeby Test. It gives you some questions to get you to start thinking about how you envision your new kitchen.
    http://starpooh.com/test/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13:the-sweeby-test&catid=4:design&Itemid=47

HTH (Hope That Helps)

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent Thread some

• jk55
    12 years ago

Hi--Just happened to be browsing on this site tonite and found your question about oak kitchens. I, too, have oak cabinets which are 25+ years old, in good shape but a bit tired, and am in a quandry about whether to reface them or keep the "old" look, which I happen to still like (the heck with HDTV saying that oak is dated!), and just update the laminate counters, get a new backsplash, and new appliances. I already did the floor in porcelain tile last Fall and love it. First of all, your kitchen is absolutely to die for! If I had that much counterspace I would be in heaven! And those windows are absolutely beautiful-wouldn't change a thing there. Your cabinets are also very beautiful and obviously high quality and I assume you want to keep them as they are and just change their surroundings--good move! The U-shaped layout is a classic and I wouldn't change that. If you wanted, you do have the space for an island, for aesthetic purposes, certainly not for more counterspace. Anyways,the Corian counters are very sleek and clean looking, which goes well with the oak cabinetry as well as the wood floor. But I know granite is hot now and if you have the means, go for it. My preference would be to keep it as simple a pattern as possible so as to not compete with the grain in the cabinets. I am actually looking at quartz for my kitchen, possibly in a marble look. Personally, to start all I would change in yours is all the hardware, maybe a new faucet set in nickel or other silver tone to match the hardware, and some new appliances (your induction cooktop). That may be enough to update it, then you could decide if you still want to go further and do the countertops after that, which I would think would be easy enough. With or without a counter change, putting in some kind of backsplash (like tile to coordinate with the counters or even tin if you like that look) would also change the look drastically and be a good finishing touch. As for the appliances, stainless is certainly all the rage these days and in itself will definitely go a long way to bringing the look into the 2000's, and I am considering at least some stainless in mine-the fingerprint resistent kind. At the risk of sounding like a spoilsport though, I am guessing that stainless will wear out its welcome like everything else sooner or later does and something else will take its place. I am suspecting white will be coming back into vogue in the next 5 years or so--maybe a sleek, smooth pearly white with stainless trim--then you would be back in style!! But what do I know! BTW I do love your white built in oven-it is such a refreshing change from all of the metal look these days. Anyway, you are very fortunate to have such a terrific kitchen. Updating is fun and a change of scenery is always a good thing. I have always been the type of person to work with what you have, and you have a lot there already. I wish you much luck in your updating endeavors!

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

I am biased too, I like oak. :) I think your cabinets look really nice, actually, and I wouldn't touch them except to possibly change the hardware. You might consider darker hardware like oil-rubbed bronze or antique (not shiny) brass to blend in with the oak. (I finally made that change on an oak cabinet that a family member made for me years ago, and it looks much much better now with the dark knobs and hinges.) If you want a different door style for a change, you could have new doors made. It depends on what look you want for your kitchen, though, and as NewSouthernBelle says, the first thing to do is consider whether your current layout works well for you.

• yankca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts. I am new,read the site for two days. The kitchen is square. I am not a big cook, thus I don't use the counter space I have. I don't love oak, but the entire house is oak. I am trying to embrace a house that is not my taste, making changes that don't fight the foundation of the style. The location is the reason we bought. The cabinets are in perfect condition consequently I want to keep them. I feel the house is getting dated looking and needs a facelift ( like it's owner). I have been very busy with children, and the house was not on the radar. Have the time now but no skill set.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I agree about changing the hardware to something like oil-rubbed bronze. The one thing that does sort of date it but I don't know how to change it without buying new doors is that the lower cabinets have a different pattern than the upper one. The lower ones are fine but the uppers are dated (IMHO) with the curved arch.
    Granite - I don;t know type but when replacing the counters I would get rid of the curves on the edges. Kind of reminds me of a diner. How about a new backsplash?
    First thing is to go to granite yards and see if anything strikes your fancy and then posts pics of the samples with your cabinets.
    I think you have great bones to work with and your sink window is fantastic.

• yankca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My first thought was to get all new appliances, granite, hardware and call it a day. Then while shopping for an oven I discovered the size of the cut out is not congruent with the new wide ones. Not one would fit. Thus, I need to either hope they make a wider cabinet or have one made. Also , I love my corian because it cleans so nicely around the one piece sink. But the color is light pink. Thank you all so much, I love input!

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I recently put ORB knobs on an oak bedroom set and it really updated the look, so like the others said, I would start there. Knobs are an easy update.

My neighbor has oak cabinets and she just put Tan Brown granite countertops in and a creamy subway tile backsplash. She also put wrought iron knobs on her cabinets and got stainless appliances. It looks like a completely different kitchen. Tan brown is also one of the less expensive granites.

I don't know what kind of lighting fixtures you have, but updating those go a long way too.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Your window is beautiful!

I wouldn't paint the oak.
    Stone counters of some kind, new hardware, new appliances,
    new lighting.

Cabinets I would change:
    - Try to have the oven one altered (or new) to fit new oven.
    - Remove the small cabinet over the hood and put a larger hood in it's place.
    - The round peninsula end is dated. I would find a way to redo that.
    Look into removing the last piece and put a squared off bookcase end on it.
    The new counter would then be square. (See FKB for other kitchens.)

No need to change oak when it's your whole house!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I painted my oak cabinets. Lots of work, used wood filler to eliminate the grain. Added molding to the top and bottom of the cabinets. As far as other oak cabinets in the house (have them in the bathrooms) I am gel staining them all dark espresso color. They really look great.

Here is a before and an after photo of my kitchen.

and after

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen. It just needs a little bit of updating. I would change the countertop and hardware. Remove some of the small knickknacks and decorate with less stuff and more pops of color. I would put in an island, could be portable, that added some interest to the room. Lots of good ideas listed above. You don't need a facelift just some new makeup.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

I absolutely love all of your windows~~ You have so many good bones about your kitchen....work with them. Others have given you good advice, but just putting new hardware and some pops of color would help so much. I for one (and may be alone in this), prefer white appliances...I would not change them unless needed....put up some eye-catching back-splash and see if those changes make you happy...if not, then you can see if you really need to change the cabinets...you may be pleasantly surprised. Keep us posted on what you decide.

• roarah
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks great for 18 years old!!! Your oak is a soft color not the orangey cheap finish many complain about...It is the finish that can date oak. I think new hardware is the first change to make and if you do need new ovens I would try to match the existing cabinets. Also a new faucet and sink is a very quick update. Change some of your more country nick nacks for more modern accesories, Like apothecary jars. Maybe switch you blinds for softer roman blinds. If after simple changes you are still not feeling the love than explore counters and cab finish changes.

• Honoria Glossop
    12 years ago

Maybe you could put in a Stainless Steel range and hood where your cooktop is now, and eliminate the need for a new double oven cabinet?

• yankca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all my new best friends! Thank you! I just put away some of my nick nacks (children gone, they won't notice, right?) I'm thinking of having the granite go up to the cabinets. I thought about a range and dump the oven, although I am completely electric. What about the microwave? I don't mind losing the counter space, but does it look bad on the counter? I was excited about the idea of oil rubber bronze hardware and then I noticed my sub zero is brushed stainless?? I will go get some samples today. Keep the ideas coming. Thank you for the before and after pictures. The lights are over head cans. p.s. any good sites for hardware, I live in a small town.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

good site for hardware that I used was Coolknobsandpulls.com

Another GW member just posted a little bit ago asking if anyone had used them because she found they had the best prices.

I don't think there is a problem with ss appliances and orb hardware. It all works together nicely.

Good luck!

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Don't worry about matching your hardware to your stainless fridge or even to your faucet, it'll be fine. I think you will like the way oil-rubbed bronze looks with your oak, and you can still have chrome or brushed steel or whatever you like for your faucet. You know, I was going to ask if you wanted Corian again for your counter (nothing wrong with granite but as a laminate-counter owner, I would LOVE that seamless sink). I think they cost about the same, so you can just look at the different samples and see which calls to you the most. If you decide you want real stone (which is a bit more fashionable now), you might also look at soapstone. It would look good with your oak but might be a tad dark; depends on your floor, backsplash, and lighting.

Other people will weigh in with good online sources for hardware. I'll just comment that I replaced my kitchen pulls not long ago with ones from Lowe's (or HD, can't remember which now). I am no good at envisioning things like hardware from pictures online; I have to take some home and try them out and see how they look. The ORB hardware I mentioned using on my oak cabinet came from Target. (I was surprised they had hardware, but it's quite nice looking and just what I wanted, so when I saw it I didn't look further.) There are surely higher-end lines available and possibly lower prices somewhere online too; just make sure that whatever you buy fits your existing holes to save yourself the trouble of filling them in.

Have fun with this! You are starting from a very good place. I would be very happy to trade kitchens with you, pink Corian and all. heehee

• PRO
    Showplace Cabinetry
    12 years ago

Depending on how much you are willing to consider, refacing can be a good option when the cabinets are in good shape. Quaker Made has been known for being well-built so you are being reasonable to consider options for keeping them.

If you did reface your kitchen, you could select a different wood specie altogether, along with door styles and of course all of this opens the door for more up-to-date finishes.

Showplace is a cabinet manufacturer that also provides a refacing program to their dealers. So, if you needed to pull out the oven cabinet, a totally new cabinet could be built to fit a new oven, and the new cabinet would fit right in with whatever you decided to do to reface the cabinets you keep.

The link below is an animated discussion created to help understand the Renew refacing process from Showplace. It is a computer generated dialogue which I think is kind of humorous, but the content is all good stuff to think about.

Also, here is a 30 second spot (copy and past into browser):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEvsPhC9bBM

Here is a link that might be useful: 5-1/2 minute Cabinet Refacing discussion

• ptamom
    12 years ago

If you are going to paint the oak I would go off-white, non-yellow, creamy, like bone, with a taupe glaze and painted-to-match beadboard backsplash. The whole room would look like built-ins. Maybe some glass doors in the diagonal corner, honed Moonnight or Cararra countertops. Your oiled bronze hardware. The painted look will keep the cabinets from looking dated. I love the oak, it's the cathedral arch that dates them With paint they could look antique (for fear of typing "french provical",of which, I never tire).
    The bigger investment would be keep the cabinets add new doors. Just another thought. Maybe quarter-sawn shaker doors?. Some Frank Lloyd Wright inspired leaded glass worked into some of the doors? Soapstone.
    I like the hood idea. Add the 24" pantry where wall oven is now. Replace the cooktop with a range. Who else loves dreaming up kitchens? I never tire of thinking about them.
    Look at lots of pics. Houzz.com is a great resource. Figure out what you are drawn to and what you can afford to spend. Happy dreaming!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Where can you put the microwave?
    That's a good question.
    I take it you were thinking above the cooktop?

Hmmm...Most people prefer a regular hood there.
    It's generally worked into an upper or lower shelf today,
    but that's with new cabinetry. Or some put it in a pantry.

If you're just in the thinking stage, it might help to look at photos of recently updated kitchens to get ideas.
    I included the FKB link this time.
    It's the kitchens from people on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Blog

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

"Dated" is not a crime nor is it something that is necessarily bad. In another 10 years, you will have a vintage kitchen. Heck, if you're not much of a cook, you don't even need all the kitchen you already have!

Change out the hardware, get a new paint color, introduce an interesting fabric or pattern somewhere, and donate the rest of your remodel budget to Habitat for Humanity.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I am going to disagree with a few things above. My understanding from woodworkers is that oak does not paint well because it has such a pronounced grain. The person who suggested doing a " gray wash" may have a workable idea, but I don't know enough of the details.

I also don't think refacing is a good option. I have read that refacing often ends up costing close to replacing.

Regarding an OTR microwave, ask yourself if you want to reach up high to take a dish out of the microwave. For me, the answer is a no, but some people like them.

As an alternative, a microwave could have a shelf built elsewhere. It sounds like you will need the cabinets modified for your new oven anyway, so this would also need done.

If you put your microwave elsewhere, get a nice hood over your cooktop. To me, the ones attached to a cabinet feel like an apartment. Good luck!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

How about a gray wash/stain on the cabinets
    Light grey walls (will minimize any orange in the wood)
    Black/soapstone counters
    Stainless/nickel pulls
    Crisp white trim with beefed up mouldings
    Simple/graphic accessories.

There was a similar thread on apartmenttherapy that had some good ideas as well. Might be worth checking out.

Here is a link that might be useful: apartment therapy thread on 80's oak

• ptamom
    12 years ago

@lisa0527- I like this idea. It sounds really cute!
    @florantha-you're totally right about the "dated "remark I made. One gals dated is another's retro. It wasn't a judgement. Just a shortsided opinion. My bad.

We are putting new doors on our island (thermofoil)and will be saving a bundle by doing it ourselves. Replacing doors is easy and inexpensive as long as you do the work yourself and stay close enough the the original material that you do not have to replace the cabinet skins, or do a painted door. We are doing the later.

@yankca You have a lot of options. Looking foward to seeing what you go with:)

• lewisoh
    12 years ago

I'm in the same boat. After months of agonizing over whether to paint, reface, or just gut the whole thing, I made a decision to embrace what I have. Changes that have drastically improved my kitchen's appearance include:

1) Changed hardware and lighting fixture to an oil-rubbed bronze. Made a trip to Home Depot and for less than $100 purchased knobs, pulls, and a template for drilling holes.

2) Changed appliances from white to stainless. Pleasantly surprised by how nice the stainless looks with the oak cabs and the bronze fixtures.

3) Painted two of my 4 walls chocolate brown. The other 2 walls are transitional to other rooms, and are an orangey-yellow. Those walls don't have any cabinetry - too yellow to enhance the oak, but they complement the chocolate nicely. I have lots of cream trim to help further break up the oak.

I should add that I have a similar layout, in that I have a large window that looks out onto a natural setting. My kitchen faces north and I was concerned that using brown would make everything too dark. I'm shocked that the whole room looks so much better with the strong color. Everything that looked flat and tired suddenly looks fresh and new. The view out the back window is especially enhanced, with the trees and sky framed by the chocolate. Best $50 I've spent!

A couple of suggestions. Consider adding glass panels to some of your wall cabinet doors. Wouldn't it be great to somehow pick up that stained glass detail from your window?

Consider modifying your oven cabinet to house a microwave and some additional open storage, and then installing a 27" or 30" single oven under the counter somewhere. A carpenter can modify an existing cabinet to house an oven. You lose storage in a base cabinet but you seem to have storage to spare. What you really want is a larger oven.

Or...if you are planning to replace your countertop, use that opportunity to rearrange some base cabinets. You could move your existing drawer unit from under the cooktop and install an oven in that space. Of course the drawer unit is awesome and would need to be reinstalled elsewhere.

I personally have a lot of cream stoneware and glass accessories and those serve to "break up" the expanses of oak and to brighten the area. As an alternative, strong colors would also warm up and brighten the space - especially a colorful rug of some type. With the pink and the oak, I think pastels, beiges, etc are the kiss of death.