Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Where to find cheaper Daltile, other than HD?

snowang
15 years ago

The HD near my home has stopped carrying the 3*6 Daltile Rittenhouse in stock. I'd have to special order them and they charge a ridiculous price of $2.20 per PIECE! I was told that Daltile is of better quality than US Ceramic, which has taken over at HD now. Anywhere else (local store) I can find them for a reasonable price? If not I may go with American Olean at Lowes. At least the 22 cent price is right.

Also I'm planning on putting in black ceramic pieces of probably 1*6 or 1*8 several inches above the counter, so they echo the UbaTuba countertop. Or maybe sth like the K165 on this page: http://daltileproducts.com/series.cfm?series=239&c=41. I haven't seen it done in any of the finished kitchen pictures, though. Anybody can confirm this is not against some kitchen design rule of thumb?

Comments (11)

• clc08
    15 years ago

snowang, how about fastfloors? Don't know how many you need, but I googled daltile rittenhouse black..followed the link looks like they come in box of 100. don't know about shipping...

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

We didn't use Daltile, but did find heard-to-locate Solistone tile online for $20 sq ft compared to HD Expo's $29 a sq ft! Free shipping and fast delivery and although they made an error in the shipping (shortchanged me!) they rectified it immediately. www.thebathroomdepot.com

So anyway, I'd suggest you google your desired tile to maximize your search. Good luck!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Check Menard's if you have one in your area. I'm almost certain that I've seen Daltile in the store but, like all the other chains, they change suppliers from time to time.

• gabeach
    15 years ago

I used that same tile recently. I just had my local tile store order it because of better customer service. It was a little more expensive than HD, not much. And, there certainly was no upcharge. You will love this tile. I have it in two showers laid horiz. from floor to about 3/4 way up, then a thin rope 1x6, and then laid in a herringbone from the rope to the ceiling. It really gives a custom look at an affordable price.

• snowang
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gabeach, did you use a different color for the thin rope? And you said it was a little more expensive than HD. You meant more than $2.20 a piece?

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Snowang, I think you've been misled by an incompetent employee -- there's no way on earth that these Daltile 3x6 subways should cost $2.20 per piece; clearly they mixed up square foot with piece pricing. I'd try another employee, or another branch of HD, before giving up.

• loralee_2007
    15 years ago

Snowang, we bought all of our Daltile porcelaine from an authorized Daltile rep on eBay & saved a fortune. If you want his userID just shoot me an email.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Also check Lowes. If they ask more than 2.00 per SQUARE FOOT they're asking too much. At 2.20 per piece (8 pieces per foot), someone's looking to retire QUICK!

ON YOU!!

• gabeach
    15 years ago

I bought mine last year right before Labor Day. No, there was no extra charge per piece from HD. I did not buy from HD because the local tile store was easier to deal with. I did use the same color of 1x6. I got those from Lowes.
    I think they were American Olean. You cannot tell any difference in color, but you might have a better eye than I do, plus mine are showers, not a kitchen. Another reason I went with a tile store is because you have to have all sorts of little specialty pieces in showers for the edges, and corners, and ledges, etc. I do not know much about those, and I can never find anyone to help me in a box store.
    You chose a pretty tile. Shop around a bit for a better price. I was just wondering, you do mean the subway shaped ones, don't you, not the rhombus? It also comes in a 'harlequin' rhomboid shape. That was gorgeous, but it is very expensive. So, if you are looking at that one, your HD price is reasonable. That is why I did the subway shape in a herringbone, sort of the same look for a fraction of the cost. I have not done my kitchen backsplash, but I would like to take four different shades of the white rhomboid ones and make a backsplash. There is a display like that at Ann Sacks in Atlanta. To quickly glance at it, it appears solid ecru, but it is actually comprised of four different colors of white.
    I am still thinking about that. Meredith Tile makes very pretty tile in rhomboid shapes. Backsplashes can always go in later if you cannot find what you want right away. We moved in in September, and I have not decided on a backsplash yet.
    HTH.

• snowang
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gabeach, the harlequin/rhomboid shape looks beautiful. I just saw it in someone else's inspiration kitchen picture. I'm actually looking for plain white subway tile. Not the fancy ones. We are moving out in a year or two so something simple, elegant but inexpensive would work.

I did go to Lowes and took a lot of pics. Found American Olean for $1.58/ft - just the right price.

I think it'll look nicer with light grey grout. This is the black rope thing I wanted to use to echo the UbaTuba countertop. I don't know if they'll look too abrupt though. Also they are almost round-shaped. Are they gonna fit in the middle of 3*6 tiles?

they also have this but a little uninteresting to me:

This is beautiful but may be overpowering for my small kitchen:

Finally one more accent piece I may be able to use in lieu of the black rope:

Any thoughts on the best combination of the above? I really want to avoid any special orders, so using in stock tiles from the same store would work the best!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Not sure if you have anything like it in your area, but in Anaheim, CA, there is a long stretch of a road referred to as "Tile Mile" that has tons of large wholesale warehouses of tile, flooring, granite, etc. Although these guys usually deal with contractors, they will sell to the public and DIYers, too. Huge selections, great slab scraps, and lots and lots and lots of tile choices -- usually selling what's in stock, too, so no waiting. You might see if you have anything like it near you. Ours is not in an area I would normally travel -- mostly warehouse type businesses and near the Lumber Liquidators (these places are always in out of the way warehouse districts where the real estate is cheaper so that they can keep costs and prices down). We were able to put in really nice stainmaster carpet with an upgraded, moisture barrier pad, for about 2000 sq. ft. at less than $5k in So. Cal. The carpet retailers were quoting us at about $12k for the same. We had similar results for porcelein tile in a previous house.