Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa0527_gw

Finally some good quartzite info from supplier

lisa0527
12 years ago

Finally got what I think is honest info on quartzite from a local supplier (Vancouver).

They had some unbelievably beautiful slabs of leathered White Princess (also known as White Pearl). They apparently carry White Princess as a standard item and have a lot of experience with it. When I asked him about etching and staining he freely admitted that "this batch is behaving more like marble". They have had previous batches of White Princess which were "bullet proof", but find there is a fair bit of variation between lots. They test each batch as it arrives for staining and etching. This batch had problems with etching, so they honed it...same problem...then leathered it, which solved the problem. They leathered all of their slabs because they didn't want to sell it with etching problems. It was sealed 3 or 4 times, but they found it still stained. Not instantly, but if wine was left on over night it would leave a faint stain. He didn't recommend it if I was going to worry about staining...which I would. As he said, "this is not your stone". They have another batch coming in September and he suggested I come back once they've tested those. I asked him about resin and what this does...he thought it was not responsible for the etching, and didn't interfere with the sealer.

So...bottom line, at least from this source, is that it all depends on the slab. Some quartzites are really bullet proof, and other slabs of the same type aren't...it all depends on the composittion of that particular slab. So samples are an absolute must, as is testing of each lot.

Comments (6)