Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

What do you think of this combination?

vdinli
9 years ago

Yes or No?

I am having second thoughts-I chose this Dark Walnut stain over English Chestnut. Does the yellow in the floor fight the red tones in cherry?

I would have ideally liked a lighter floor than the cabinets but was told that was not a good idea as we were getting new hardwood in the kitchen and foyer.

Please tell me it will get better once I put all the furniture back and area rug down. Asking them to redo it is not possible-atleast not now. $$ and time constraints.

Comments (14)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

No. Sorry.

• romy718
    9 years ago

The first pic has a dark floor with your cherry cabinet. What is the second picture?

• vdinli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy, the second picture is a shot of the LR that is open to the kitchen. That is all I can see now as I can't walk on the floor yet.
    Thanks snookums. Oh well, I will just have to live with it for now.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I don't love it but I don't think it is as bad as all that. I tend to tune out floors visually in real life. I've got a very old home with very old white oak flooring in a shade that people often criticize. Kind of the honey oak color. The thing is, every historic home in the area has floors these colors. It's effectively a neutral in that I don't even think about it, or the possibility that it could ever be something else.

When you're standing in your kitchen, you won't have a panoramic view that takes in the floors and cabinets. The floors will be in your peripheral vision, at best. It will be fine, I swear. Maybe not magazine-worthy, but also not worthy of spending energy on regret.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I see red tones in the floor in the second photo. I wouldn't worry about your few cabinets with it, and you can use a rug in the kitchen. I probably wouldn't use the dark dining room set and ORB lighting you were thinking of though.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks cawaps and may_flowers. I am hoping it will fade into the background atleast in my head! not worth spending energy on regret so true! I just wished I had run it past you guys beforehand. Oh well.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

it looks great, move forward, add lighter colors through decor. you can break up the wood with rugs, curtains, upholstery etc..

• mdln
    9 years ago

It's fine, don't worry about it.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think it is lovely and I adore your floors!!! Once everything is in and you have a runner and some other elements in the room you will like it much more.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I have a dark wood floor throughout my house with all different wood toned pieces of furniture & it all blends. The color will change depending on lighting (the two pics are different) and it looks like a beautiful color. You know how we always fixate, over criticize & obsess about something new. It will be okay & I bet you will end up loving it.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy, aktillery, mdln, isabel, Thank you for your kind words. I am hoping I will grow to like it once I put everything back.
    Thanks

• lascatx
    9 years ago

It might not be exactly what you expected, but calm wood floors have a lot more leeway than other elements in a room. Especially dark floors. They tend to just go neutral on you. Seriously, whens the last time you looked at a garden and said great flowers and foilage, but the dirt color is wrong? As long as you stay away from dyed red/orange mulch (a bad rug?), I think you're fine. ;-) When everything else is in the room, I think that's what you'll be seeing -- the flowers and foilage.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lascatx, Ha! 'the dirt color being wrong"- made me laugh out loud! Yup, will stay away from dyed red/orange mulch..err rugs :-)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I thought you had the option to change your cabinet color for the kitchen. Once you fill the room up and refocus on life, you will probably not be bothered by it, especially if you are putting rugs down. Pictures don't show true colors anyway.