Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erikanh

WWYD with this fireplace open to kitchen?

erikanh
14 years ago

I'm stumped. We removed the ugly polished brass door and are looking for either a cast iron or stainless steel door. But I don't know what to do about the brick. I like the red brick but the original mason (?) who installed it did a terrible job. The lines are messy and there are glops of mortar. A friend suggested that we cover the brick with stone or some type of tiles. I ruled out white marble pretty quickly because I worry it will turn black. So maybe something very dark?

Our family room has a beach cottage style.

On the same wall:

Any ideas appreciated!

Erika

Comments (24)

• Fori
    14 years ago

I kinda like it...but if it looks bad close up, you could always veneer it with (tada!) brick. Today I am very creative!

What about something like Motawi or even Pewabic type tiles? Iridescent Pewabics would be kinda cool, but they do have an overly handmade look that might not be crisp enough.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

Soapstone?

It would be like the photo negative of your backsplash!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Quartzite tile?

{{!gwi}}

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Another fan of the soapstone idea (Willow did hers with SS and it looks great).

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm with Fori on liking the brick, and can't think of anything else that will give the same feel. Does it really look so horrible in person? Does it need repair? When you put on the doors, it won't cover it enough? Can it just be 'rustic' or something? :-) If I had to consider tiles, I'd do either some terra cottas that might have the same warmth and basic feel of the brick, or a matte gray porcelain tile. There was a cool line we considered for countertops...They were Italian...Flor Gres' Stontech series. I think the color Stongrey/6.0 would be nice with your marble...contrast, but 'go with.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor Gres Stontech tiles

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Hey Erika!... is there a chance you guys enjoy wine? A wine glass for every room?... :-)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would consider soapstone with the cast iron door, and white marble with the stainless steel door, whether it turned black or not. You have such a tight selection of materials on that elevation, I would hate to introduce something else.

What about just painting in black? Not much of it would show with a new door, I am thinking?

• erikanh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rhome and fori, I do like the warmth and texture of the brick. Doesn't really make me think of "beach" but for some reason it seems to work. But yes, the brick looks bad close up. There won't be much vertical brick left showing once the new doors are on, but the hearth looks terrible. Maybe I should research if there's a way to "refinish" them?

Meanwhile, I'm gonna take a peek at Willow's soapstone fireplace. The quartz is gorgeous, but I'm afraid it will clash with the marble b/s on the same wall.

Hee hee Elyse, you caught me! Actually, my friend was taking photos ... those wine glasses were part of the "staging."

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Hi Erika
    it just so happens that I have a file of fireplace inspiration pics, since we, too, have a fireplace open to the kitchen that I'll be getting around to re-doing in the next year (I hope!)
    here are a couple of pics that might work in your space....

I am probably going to do a glossy tile with a matte black door surround. I prefer no doors, but here in Maine we have to think about all that heat going up the chimney even when the flue is closed :(

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Erika, I really like the idea of the soapstone tiles. With your blue painted walls and your marble just a few yards down, I think it would look fantastic. Just make sure it's a hard one. LOL.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Here is the link to my soapstone surround. Scroll down to see it. I love it because it hold the heat and radiates it into the room!

Note: I used counter thickness soapstone which needed to be sanded down to tile thickness - it is costly and can break. I would suggest tiles and my three piece install was nightmarish.
    xx-Willow

Here is a link that might be useful: Willows Fireplace

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

Can you paint the brick a creamy white? Once you have fireplace implements and a wood holder of some sort you will be covering up almost the entire hearth anyway.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I'd paint the brick white with really good paint made for masonry and let it age gracefully. Adding stone or tile will raise the hearth even more and present finishing problems.

Then I'd get a great set of fireplace doors that are flush with the fireplace which will de-emphasize the surround. I used a place in California (see link) that has a huge range of styles and will make anything you want. I took digis of the fireplace and did measurements carefully. The doors fit perfectly and were exactly what was needed. They are not inexpensive but worth it. Also, very good communication with them.

If this is of interest I'm glad to share the pix of the whole thing -- shoot me an email.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Forge

• erikanh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions! We've decided that we really do like the touch of rustic warmth that the red brick provides and are looking into repairing/removing the sloppy excess mortar. If that doesn't work out then I'd like to do the soapstone tiles.

rococgurl, thank you so much for the link. I've never seen such a nice selection of fireplace doors, and I had no idea I could get one custom made.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Erika, I'm glad! I like the red brick. :) Mortar gets redone all the time. Good luck.

• growlery
    14 years ago

I think your decision is a good one.

I guarantee nobody goes up and stares at the bricks, looking for flaws like you do, so even if it's imperfect, I think it looks really nice. Anything else you do will call more attention to the problem, and I think doesn't look as nice as the bricks.

A little filing/sandpaper and it will look beautiful (the room is already beautiful!). I really thing that will be the best thing, long-term for the room. My opinion, it's a classic.

It also happens to be the simplest solution, which is good.

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

I just saw this post, but wanted to say that if in the end you don't like the brick (I do) you may want to look into a Scan or Morso fireplace insert. They are simple and classic, and may go well with your space. Both of these have high efficiencies.

Scan Insert
    http://www.scan.dk/page/196

Here is a link that might be useful: Morso insert

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

I think your decision is a good one as well. I think the process is called re-pointing. Good luck!

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

I personally like the look of the brick and find it a very classic companion to your kitchen. Red brick has stood the test of time unlike chicago used, slate, and other materials. I would be hesitant to do something different. I suggest you call a chimney sweep, fireplace store, and a brick yard(real stone yard) and see if you can't get a recommendation for a true mason. You should be able to email a photo of your fireplace and get an estimate on what they would charge to fix it. Also, look at Design Specialties Doors. I don't know the website, but google it and it should come up. They have very nice and modern doors and screens.Good Luck--Everything you have done so far looks incredible and I think you whatever you do will turn out great.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are the best! Thank you so much for reinforcing my choice and for the website links.

Today I was looking through my inspiration file for a photo for someone, and I saw this one from the Something's Gotta Give movie set. Notice the fireplace? If it's good enough for the Hamptons, right? =)

{{!gwi}}

P.S. Yes, I copied that rug in my family room.

• donka
    14 years ago

Erika,

I don't know what your door looked like, but if it was decent but just ugly brass, it's amazing what a can of BBQ spray paint can do.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the rest of the fireplace since I'm going for a 'beachy' look too (I may cover the brick with wood and paint white, much like yours,) but all I knew was I needed that brass GONE and the BBQ paint worked a treat.

• katieob
    14 years ago

Hi Erika.

I love the brick. So classic & warm. And, in my opinion, gels well with the beach vibe.

I really wanted brick on our fireplace (love the look with crisp, white mantel trim) but it was going to be a bit complicated with our gas fireplace. We're going with honed black granite that resembles soapstone without veining.

All you need now is Jack Nicholson !!!!

• erikanh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

donka, that looks great! My door was pretty beat up ... one of the doors didn't shut properly.

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

What about just painting the brick black or white?