Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

Dish drawer

andreak100
11 years ago

Getting ideas together for going from the "traditional" cupboard storage to a dish drawer and have a few questions.

How wide is yours?

Did you use pegs or just allow them to sit freely?

Anything you would change about yours?

As always, pictures are more than welcome.

Comments (16)

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i like mine very much. my cabinet maker made them so each dish has it's own slot (12 slots). hopefully i can keep them from chipping since they won't be sitting on top of each other.
    soup bowls will nest in the slots to the right. cups/saucers will be in another drawer.

{{gwi:1562043}}

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

42 inches
    Minimal pegs-mostly to remind me what goes where when using lots of dishes.
    Still learning new kitchen so not sure what I would do differently. I know that I re-arranged the dishes within the pegs but haven't moved the pegs.

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

Drawers are 36" wide. Probably went overboard on the pegs, but at least DH knows where to put things!

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

I've had my dishes in drawers for the last 14 years. They sit freely, and no chipping. My kids empty the dishwasher, so it's not like they're handled gently, either. Those pegs look like finger pinchers to me.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

No pegs for me either, since I just never got around to it, am always changing dishes out, etc. Works fine, chipping really seems to happen elsewhere (I have one chip on a plate, that happened the day I got it, but no others).

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

No pegs, stacks, Ikea rubbery mat on the bottom to prevent moving. Works perfect and the chipping, like claybabe says, seem to happen elsewhere and seldom, so far one chip in 2 years.
    HTH, Petra

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Anyone store their glassware in drawers?

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

My drawer is 30", which means the actual interior is 27". No pegs, and after using this drawer for the last 8 months, I don't think I would choose them. I might at some point put in a non-slip mat on the bottom, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to actually have done it so far. There is minor slippage as you can see at the front of the drawer, but generally not enough to re-position the stacks. Nothing has ever risen to the level of a chip! On the other hand, these white Centura Ware dishes by Corning were discontinued about 5 years after they were introduced: they were advertised and warrantied as non-breaking and they really don't - we got them as a wedding gift 41 years ago and there they still are unbroken and unchipped.

Here's the greatest part of the dish drawer-so convenient!

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

No pegs here. 36" drawer, Ikea liner on the bottom to prevent sliding, and I have a few holders for some of the stacks for ease of carrying piles of plates/bowls from the DW (though they are not really necessary as it's only a couple of steps).

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA plate holder

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Re: Glassware, I tend to choose auto-combustible glassware (and, as a result, do it frequently) so drawer storage is definitely out for me. I have uppers with glass doors above and near the DW to store my bad habit :)

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

auto-combustible glassware?

My uppers are a long way my dishwasher so I'm going to need to store some everyday glasses in a drawer near there... not sure how yet!

• andreak100
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate - those look very tidy. I had never considered storing the plates on their sides like that. It looks as if your dividers are about 1/2" each, is that correct?

Suzanne - congrats on 41 years of marriage! Corning probably discontinued your plates because the realized that if they were unbreakable, people wouldn't have to buy another set and they'd go out of business! Hang on to those babies - you're fortunate to have gotten something that is timeless.

I kind of like the looks of the pegs, but from the sounds of things, they don't seem to be necessary, so I think that I might try it at first without pegs and see how things go.

Looks like the 36" drawer I have planned should be good for what I have to store since it looks similar to what nhbaskets has in hers.

Laura - what about having dividers like what Kate has for some of your glasses in the drawer? I bet that glasses would have a tendency to slide and rock sideways more than plates, so having medium depth dividers (about half the depth of Kate's) along the one side of the drawer might be the way to go - high enough to keep them stable, but low enough that they are easy to remove.

• abctate
    11 years ago

Love our dish drawer. No pegs and they don't shift around. I think the rubber mat in the bottom really helps that. I was going to do a peg board but decided to wait to see how I like without first. I believe it is a 30" drawer.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I've seen drawers of glassware on here before - no special 'holder' type things were necessary.

would be good to have the easy close for them tho.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

How deep are these lovely drawers? Might be the AHA! moment I need to make things work!

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

My everyday dishes are Lenox bone china. They are in a 27" wide drawer with no pegs. There are 4 stacks of dishes (pasta, dinner plates, breakfast plates, and bowls) with no shifting and no mat on the bottom. However, I was concerned about the weight of the dishes in the drawer and limited the number of dishes. The remainder are in a lit display wall cabinet.