Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tough is silgranit?

Posted by breezygirl (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 19:52

Here's how tough it is. I accidently dropped my Ken Onion Shun in the cleanup sink last week. My hands were slippery when I was washing it, and I was in a hurry. I thought it landed near the tip of the knife before it fell, but I wasn't sure. The sink looked fine.

The next day DH asked me in a horrified voice what I did to my new knife. Huh? The tip was broken off. I went back and looked over my silgranit again very closely. No dents, no scratches, no marks. It looks perfect. The knife, however, looks like this.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I love my silgranits more than I can say. So tough and easy to care for.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tough is silgranit?

Just looked up the knife on Amazon. $160... Hmmm, at what point should the sink bend/break to save the knife...?

P.S. Please tell me what makes a knife worth spending this much?
Thanks!!

o

Bummer about the knife but great that your sink was unscathed! That makes me so happy as I just received my silgranit samples and am in love with the truffle! :)

o

Holy cow! If I had any remaining doubts about choosing a Silgranite sink for my remodel, you just erased them!

Love your towel. I have needlepoint towels, too, all made by my grandma or my great aunt.

o

I wouldn't be so quick to praise Silgranit.

I've had my Silgranit sink in white, for the last 8 years and I regretted getting it almost from the beginning. Here is why.
1/ It is VERY tough to keep clean. The only two things that even help are Magic Eraser for the light stuff and secondly straight bleach. So what I'm saying is that normal Ajax/Comet and Bar Keeper's friend just will not clean it all the way, no matter what type of sponge/scouring pad you use.
2/ I've got small pitted areas near the drain just outside the metal ring where the disposer/drain hole is. They only look marginally better when I straight bleach the sink.

Sorry to disagree with you but given my experience I wish I had gone with a different sink like a porcelain over wrought iron Kohler like I had in another kitchen.

If I looked into how to (if it's possible at all) of taking mine out - it's under mounted under granite - and it could be done without harming my granite - I'D DO IT TODAY AND SWITCH THIS SINK OUT - The only thing I do like about it is how deep the big side and the smaller side of the sink is.
Hey, it's just my opinion that is based on 8 years of experience with it. Glad you are having a better experience with it than I am.
Maybe if you had a black Silgranit sink you couldn't see the problems I've had, but mine sink is white........

o

Piper101 - Blanco came out with "Silgranit II" in 2009, a large improvement over the Silgranit you have from 8 years ago.

I am sorry you are unhappy with your sink. But your sink is not a fair comparison, or accurate yardstick, to the Blanco Silgranit II sinks today. You can read all the threads on the Kitchens Forum over the last few years on which people with white or light-colored Silgranit sinks have written their praise for their sinks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Description of the Introduction of Blanco Silgranit II

o

Breezy - I broke a Shun knife I had once too. Sur La Table took it back, no questions asked a LONG time after buying it. Mine wasn't breaking the tip off, but it had little chunks out.

Still happy the Silgranit prevailed. Looking forward to mine!

o

piper101:

I have yet to meet an undermounted sink I could not replace without harming the stone.

After removing any mechanical fasteners, drive a scraper between the stone and sink and work your way around.

o

Breezy
Wow!
Hopefully you can replace that gorgeous knife!
A2gemini

o

Poor knife. From experience I can say that it can probably be re-tipped. I once had a teenage son who was miffed at having to wash the dishes and kinda-sorta on purpose stabbed a Henkle 8"er into the wooden cutting board and carelessly wrenched it out - minus the tip. Interestingly enough, said son grew up to be a cooking connoissseur and was horrified all those years later when he realized what he'd done. He bought me a new knife when he was about 30. I still like the original, re-tipped, better. Teenagers - they grow up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here